Mo Diamé to be released

BeloEmre

Don't think anyone has said different? I don't think there was a single Newcastle fan who thought Mo Diame had any chance of turning his form around, it's just makes his transformation funnier looking back at how universally hated he was.

Shelvey is different, anyone who wrote him off was mental imo. He's far too good on the ball.

I spent a lot of time on here defending Diame, like.

[emoji38]

I'm not trying to pat myself on the back or owt, [emoji38] my only real point was always that as poor as he was, he was still a better option than Perez in the #10 position at the time. I was only really saying to point out that he wasn't universally hated.

:thup:

There he is. Just tickled me, sorry!

Now here’s one for yous. Has this run of form surpassed peak Tiote, yet? Can’t remember any other midfielders we’ve had in recent times who’ve been so good at breaking up play and keeping possession after the fact.

We'd have to pay a literal fortune to replace what he has been doing for us since December. I hope to god he has another season of similar form in him.

That's the thing: if we had to replace him for some reason, who in the world could do for us what Mo has done in 2018? And how much would that player cost? He's pivotal to the way we play; there's no roaring up the table without his defensive work in the middle of the park.

Who knows - perhaps Rafa has turned Hayden and Merino into defensive beasts too, only we don't know because Mo is keeping them off the pitch...

In Crooks team of the week:

I was laughed out of court when I suggested Rafael Benitez has the ability to bring titles to St James' Park. Well, he's not won the Premier League with this group of players - but how he's amassed 41 points with games to spare.

Mo Diame is among the many players Benitez has rejuvenated at Newcastle. Not since his days at West Ham have I seen the Senegal international look so fit and in such good form. Against Arsenal, Diame was outstanding, as were the entire Newcastle team. What a pity the Magpies are not in the hands of someone who really appreciates what this club, their supporters and their manager have to offer.

Now here’s one for yous. Has this run of form surpassed peak Tiote, yet? Can’t remember any other midfielders we’ve had in recent times who’ve been so good at breaking up play and keeping possession after the fact.

I don't think so. He might be as effective, but peak Tiote was just so fluid in the way he did and was quicker. Also Diame needs at least another season of this before being talked about on that level.

Although, this might be biased since I've pretty much only remembered the good sides of Cheick since he died.

Guest firetotheworks

Not yet. Tiote did it for 2 seasons and his really big stand out games against Everton, Arsenal, and Man United stood out more than Diame's. Over the course of these few months Diame's been more consistent than Tiote was though, it's pretty much every game since December that he's been impeccable.

It's certainly close, he doesn't tackle as hard as Tiote, but is great at getting a foot in and anticipating passes. Tiote was great at making himself available and linking play but Mo doesn't give away anywhere near as many free kicks or get booked as much. And he has a better passing range.

Don't think anyone has said different? I don't think there was a single Newcastle fan who thought Mo Diame had any chance of turning his form around, it's just makes his transformation funnier looking back at how universally hated he was.

Shelvey is different, anyone who wrote him off was mental imo. He's far too good on the ball.

I spent a lot of time on here defending Diame, like.

Same. Only because there were flashes of what he was capable of, it was similar to Perez in that he was trying to do the right things, often losing the ball because of it. I still think we will need to upgrade him, but he's a lot better than people initially thought.

He has that lazy Shola stroll about him which makes mistakes look even worse than they actually are but looks equally more impressive when he does good as it doesn't look like there's much effort in it.