Newcastle United promoted back to the Premier League

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tonight's making me feel better.

Same here. Brighton are not playing nearly as good as I thought they would, and even though Huddersfield is dominating, their goals came off lucky bounces. We spent the last number of games without our top scorer and arguably our best player and we're still in 2nd, 1 point off the top spot and have a game in hand over the two teams directly below us.

Lots of hard work left to do, starting this weekend, but we're not in as bad a shape as I felt we were after the own goal yesterday.

The league table doesn't look that bad after tonight, man, how much better it would have looked without a 90th minute og...

1pt behind Brighton. (but with a better GD)

4pts ahead of Reading, with a game in hand.

5pts ahead of Leeds, with a game in hand.

7pts ahead of Huddersfield

13pts ahead of Derby.

Got to beat Derby on Sat....

I wonder if there has been any plans at all made for the possibility that we may still be playing champ football next season, think the whole club has assumed that we will get promotion, if not surely more players in the Danny Murphy mold would have been brought in to try to get us there. Rafa surely will be gone if we don't go up, probably of his own accord. The squad will need another major makeover, Anita and Gouf's contracts will not be renewed, Ritchie, Shelvey and Gayle will be wowed by PL clubs, Krul, Mbemba and Mitro are as good as gone in the summer anyway, Hayden may have drawn a few suitors too.

We really are built for getting up this season and if it doesn't happen honestly worry where this club will be for the next decade or so.

This is a great post and one that more people should be thinking about.

There is no doubt that the team has been assembled with the pure aim of getting straight back into the PL this season...there would have to be major restructuring of the squad if we do get promoted but heaven help the club if we don't.

As you say, Rafa will almost certainly be gone(he could be gone even if we DO go up, if he isn't backed)and any players worth anything will have to be sold...Gayle will be the first if he continues to get goals in the remainder of the season and there will be at least 3 more who will attract some sort of interest. This will leave the club with a worse playing staff, having to bring in a manager like Pardew or Warnock(because nobody worth a light would take it after Rafa and KK's walk-outs)and likely to remain down among the dead-men until Ashley leaves....I said in an earlier post that this would be 3 years' min unless someone comes up with stupid money and that is very unlikely.

Back in 1979, we assembled a side with similar characteristics designed for immediate promotion...they failed to make it and we were a rubbish club until KK was signed with the help of the Brewery in 1982 - even then it took 2 years more to get promotion and the manager, Arthur Cox, walked out in pre-season because.......he was at odds with the board over new players..! We were relegated again in 1989 and didn't return until the Magpie Group takeover and KK's installation as manager when he built a promotion side for the PL in 1993.

Nothing changes much at NUFC, does it..??

The league table doesn't look that bad after tonight, man, how much better it would have looked without a 90th minute og...

1pt behind Brighton. (but with a better GD)

4pts ahead of Reading, with a game in hand.

5pts ahead of Leeds, with a game in hand.

7pts ahead of Huddersfield

13pts ahead of Derby.

Got to beat Derby on Sat....

And we have all those othes teams to play too albeit only Leeds at home. Beat all of them and I'll be confident of going up but just have a feeling we won't beat them all and there'll probably a few other games that we'll fuck up.