Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

7 hours ago, KaKa said:

I mean ... I don't even know what to say about this guy's last couple of games, because I can hardly believe how useful he's been.

Has always had some really decent attributes, but can just be so all over the place, and out of nowhere he's just come in and kind of pulled it all together and been quite consistent the last two outings.

Howe is something else man.

Agreed. Joelinton, Shelvey, Kraft, Almiron and now possibly Murphy. His ability to get a tune out of previously all but written off players is something else.

Fair play to the lad, he played well. Had completely given up on him, but is nice know that he can put up a performance. Depth Is vital if we want to go on a cup run..

Edited by soyt

Still needs upgrading imo- no coincidence that when Bruno was injured for 3 games and we relyed on the likes of Murphy and willock we didn’t win in 3 but now Bruno’s back we’ve won 2 in 3. Still go all out for Maddison in jan for me.

It's great to see him doing well. It shows the benefit of a good manager - but also playing with better players (Bruno makes everybody look better).

A run of form will restore value and make it more likely we will get interest from upper championship or even PL clubs like Bournemouth. It's at that point that you have to be ruthless and upgrade.

Edited by ponsaelius

I've said it before, but I'd keep him, he's a good squad member.  With his pace he offers something different, especially coming off the bench when teams are pressing us and we need an outlet, or when we just need a tactical change.  And, totally irrelevant, but he's a toon supporter and he seems like a decent lad.

13 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

It's great to see him doing well. It shows the benefit of a good manager - but also playing with better players (Bruno makes everybody look better).

A run of form will restore value and make it more likely we will get interest from upper championship or even PL clubs like Bournemouth. It's at that point that you have to be ruthless and upgrade.

This. I’d get rid as soon as there’s an acceptable offer. We can do far better.

Keeping in the squad is a tough one, because realistically he’s going to make no inpact when he comes on. 

I guess he could play in the cups against lesser teams. 

He did well yesterday though, no clear terrible decisions, air shots or attacks wasted. 

11 hours ago, KaKa said:

I mean ... I don't even know what to say about this guy's last couple of games, because I can hardly believe how useful he's been.

Has always had some really decent attributes, but can just be so all over the place, and out of nowhere he's just come in and kind of pulled it all together and been quite consistent the last two outings.

Howe is something else man.

Bobby Robson did this previously, you could argue KK did the same. Both got the best out of under-cooked players with good attributes. Murphy is not going to be a top player, but like a lot our players, he is worth more than people think. If championship teams don't want him, then he' s a very useful squad player for us.

• 2 weeks later...

It's absolutely brutal watching the ball land at his feet and him trying to figure out how he's going to dribble before losing the ball. The only thing he's got is his pace, if a ball gets played to him and he can run in behind with his pace then he can offer something but even then his final ball is generally awful. Can't wait until he's not starting for us 

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Best thing I can say about him is that he does his defensive work well. 

We need to get that depth to keep him out the team. 

0 tackles, 0 interceptions, 0 clearances, 2 fouls. Not sure about that mind.

Time to get him out of the team unfortunately. Would have been good to see him have a new lease of life under Howe but he's just not up to the standard. 

Fraser or Anderson deserve a good run in the team now, Murphy just hasn't taken the opportunity. 

Still a decent option off the bench against a tired full back. 

Favourite moment of the match was Wilson blasting him for another terrible decision on the ball. Next moment in the same situation he actually played a much better ball although it didn't quite come off. Need his team mates to get on him a bit more when he does dumb stuff.

He has enough ability to be much more useful than he is if only he would just keep his game more simple. Constantly tries to do too much and over complicate things. Infuriating stuff, because he seems quite likeable and gives his all, but just can't rein it in a bit when he gets on the ball. Gets way too excited.

Been a while since we've seen a performance quite that bad for the club. He's a lost cause. Get rid of him any way we can in January. Not a bad lad, but him being here sends a message that we are willing to accept having dead wood at the club.

He has zero utility in attack or defence, and his being here is actually harming Anderson's development.

Thanks for being a decent fella, but goodbye and hope never to see you on the pitch for us again.

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Favourite moment of the match was Wilson blasting him for another terrible decision on the ball. Next moment in the same situation he actually played a much better ball although it didn't quite come off. Need his team mates to get on him a bit more when he does dumb stuff.

He has enough ability to be much more useful than he is if only he would just keep his game more simple. Constantly tries to do too much and over complicate things. Infuriating stuff, because he seems quite likeable and gives his all, but just can't rein it in a bit when he gets on the ball. Gets way too excited.

He simply doesn’t have enough ability. While also one important ability of a footballer is understanding/decision making and much more.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

He started well, but he wasn't great. Can’t say I thought Anderson was much better mind, I'd be bringing Fraser in.

Eh? Anderson put in a good cross for Murphy, he won a corner from a pretty lost position and he controlled a bullet pass with ease from Longstaff and got a decent shot off that was blocked. That was all in twenty mins. Murphy had one good run inside and shot but apart from that he lost the ball countless times in promising positions. Fraser came on and experienced GBH so I can’t really comment on his performance