Mikel Merino

Disco

Use the money from the sale of him and the money we will get from the sale of Hayden and go for Loftus-Cheek!

Loftus-Cheek and Ki > Merino and Hayden.

Would love for us to get Loftus-Cheek.

• 5 months later...

I can only think that doubts about his defending have held this player back. Either that, or he's struggling with a long-term fitness issue.

Such a shame, because he looked great on the ball, and often when he came on, it seemed that the whole mentality of the team became more positive. Hopefully, he'll come good in time.

I don't know why he wanted to leave after only one season, he really looked like he can turn into a great midfielder.

He couldn't dislodge Diame or Shelvey from the side and Rafa never saw him as a 10, which some have noted is the position he plays in for the Spain U21's.

So he had a drama queen moment as he was out of the team, off he went when just a bit of patience at 21 would have seen him play a fuck load for us this season, meh.

Tidy player, disappointed in the way he left, felt like he lacked desire and a decent set of balls. Looks like we all lost out on this one. Maybe if he were a few year older he'd not have reacted the way he did and instead knuckled down and worked for his spot.

He looked a fantastic buy before the injury, but really struggled when back from it.

I don't know if it was Tiote being too fresh in the memory, but I got the feeling he'd been found out a bit by other teams.

Either way, he didn't want to stick around so that was that. If he can get it together though, it looks like there is a player in there.

I can understand leaving a CL club to get more first team chances. But bailing on the next club just a summer later because you didn't get straight back in to a side after injury? Just doesn't seem to want to fight for it. Shame as the talent is obviously there.

He was an alright backup and probably would have got Diame's place this season if he had been able to be patient. Unfortunately he's jumped first chance he's got and it's gone wrong.

Bit shite that both backup centre midfielders threw in the towel and wanted to leave so quickly like. Where's the self belief that you can win that place back? Hayden and Merino started 2018 as first and second choice and managed to get to a point where they could never be seriously considered over Diame and Shelvey.

Our fans indeed. Spanish mercenary who didn't want to sign in the first place and jumped ship throwing the toys out of the pram as he sulked off back to Spain, or local lad? Pretty easy choice there I would have thought.

What's "local lad" got to do with why anyone should get a game? People should play based on talent, and if you want to make that argument for Longstaff then great, but "local lad" is utterly irrelevant.

He was an alright backup and probably would have got Diame's place this season if he had been able to be patient. Unfortunately he's jumped first chance he's got and it's gone wrong.

Bit shite that both backup centre midfielders threw in the towel and wanted to leave so quickly like. Where's the self belief that you can win that place back? Hayden and Merino started 2018 as first and second choice and managed to get to a point where they could never be seriously considered over Diame and Shelvey.

Merino would be playing with Diame, not replacing him