Other clubs' transfers

Greg

2 hours ago, TRon said:

I'm more bored of the Saudis paying stupid money to getting players over there, it's totally messed up the transfer market in Europe, and for what? It might work short term, but you can't grab a world market share overnight. Can they keep doing this indefinitely?

Look at the fees Man United paid for the likes of Maguire, Anthony, Sancho etc or Chelsea with Mudryk, Enzo, Kepa, Lukaku etc. Hard to blame the Saudis messing up the market when teams over here have been throwing around daft money for years. 

2 hours ago, TRon said:

I'm more bored of the Saudis paying stupid money to getting players over there, it's totally messed up the transfer market in Europe, and for what? It might work short term, but you can't grab a world market share overnight. Can they keep doing this indefinitely?

I'll be honest, putting aside the usual awkward conversations about it being SA, I can't get outraged at the impact on Europe in a footballing sense. What are they doing that European teams weren't already doing? It's just European teams that can be blown out of the financial water for once. 

I guess most fans in this country will never be interested in the Saudi league, it’ll rely on a global audience.

In that sense it could overtake the PL I guess, although obviously fans already have European teams that they support. 

Big part of what they are trying to do is be a premium tourist destination for the Muslim world, the league is partially a tourist attraction in service of that. 

It’s why they have targeted a fair share of Muslim players, if they get Mane as rumoured then they’ll be a Salah away from having the four biggest stars in that regards. We aren’t really the target audience here - it’s Middle East and North Africa. 

Whether they can run at a massive loss indefinitely or if that is actually the plan remains to be seen. 

In the end I think GeordieDazzler is right there above. We, the Europeans and Americans, will only talk about the Saudi League once a year - during the transfer window. Otherwise it’ll be something that is happening somewhere else half a world away and we won’t even know any results or anything.  We might watch some highlights now and again. The players who are more in their primes will come back to the real leagues in a season or two. 

Edited by cubaricho

Players that go to Saudi aren't just going to come back after a couple of seasons. They are all going to be earning more than any Euro club will be willing to pay them.

When the summer hols come around and all these players are hanging out together and they get to bragging about how much they earn etc, the pull will only get stronger for those that aren't there already.

People are going to watch it too. As more players folks are familiar with move there and the teams get better, they will tune in.

A few viral clips of ASM, Firmino and Mahrez linking up for example and enough people will give it a look in.

Edited by KaKa

Just now, KaKa said:

Players that go to Saudi aren't just going to come back after a couple of seasons. They are all going to be earning more than any Euro club will be willing to pay them.

When the summer hols come around and all these players are hanging out together and they get to bragging about how much they earn etc, the pull will only get stronger for those that aren't there already.

People are going to watch it too. As more players folks are familiar with move there and the teams get better, they will tune in.

A few viral clips of ASM, Firmino and Mahrez linking up for example and enough people will tune in. 

If SA is in for the long game sure, they have to build all the infrastructure around it, not just bring in huge names. On top of that, you have to rely on footballers accepting SA as a place to live and to buy in to the way of life there. There’s a lot that needs to go together but it’s not out of the question 

I'm becoming increasingly convinced this is part of a Saudi plan to make themselves the main driver of a super league. I don't see how their domestic league can become a success like this in the medium to long term. The goal eventually has to be commercial viability, but the money being thrown about has no chance of ever being that. PIF isn't just going to flush billions down the toilet year after year. When the league starts to become successful are they going to start offering less money? That seems unlikely. The money only makes sense in the context of a super league.

They'll build the profile of their chosen clubs, build relationships with the top players, and build relationships with the ESL clubs by taking their deadwood and shoveling money into their pockets, then in 2-3 years they will make their move.

4 minutes ago, gbandit said:

If SA is in for the long game sure, they have to build all the infrastructure around it, not just bring in huge names. On top of that, you have to rely on footballers accepting SA as a place to live and to buy in to the way of life there. There’s a lot that needs to go together but it’s not out of the question 

Look at the players they are signing this summer. It's not just big names.

As far as living over there goes they will be putting these players up in the most lavish and luxurious accomodations, which they are already known for. The lifestyle will probably be just as big an attraction for some.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Look at the players they are signing this summer. It's not just big names.

As far as living over there goes they will be putting these players up in the most lavish and luxurious accomodations, which they are already known for. The lifestyle will probably be just as big an attraction for some.

Like I say, I’m someone who can definitely see it happening but there are a lot of things at play here:

Even if they bring over a ton of quality players, there’ll still be a significant number of poor players on every team. That’s going to be extremely frustrating and demotivating for elite footballers. Equally, the sums of money involved are so high that people could easily just stop caring about football, especially when it’s about winning a league that doesn’t have major fans etc.

The coaching, managers, academies, fitness teams and all that infrastructure has to go there too. That’s clearly possible with the money going round but will take time.

Will footballers want to live in a culture where they can’t hit up strip clubs, get pissed all the time, gamble? Will their partners want to bring their children up there? Potentially footballers and their partners will be fine with that but who knows.

The only way spending this sort of money makes sense is if they have a long-term plan to either build a world-beating league or to front a super league of elite clubs like Kimbo says. They have to go all in to make that happen. Let’s talk about where things are at in 12 months. If they keep building at the pace they are right now, it’ll look a lot more convincing

Re: Saudi, when these players stop getting picked for their national teams their ears will perk back up towards Europe. 

I realize they’re getting minted over there, living in luxury, etc. But it’s going to feel a long long way from home either way and they’re going to start to feel very disconnected from it all. And when those national team calls stop coming it’ll be a wake up call. 

22 minutes ago, Menace said:

I wonder why :lol: 

I’m not even an MLS fanboy, but the league is on the right path. Steady growth, financially stable, state-of-the-art facilities. Already attracting top South American talent with higher wages (or at least, guarantees that they’ll be paid on time :lol: ) than Argentinian or Brazilian clubs can offer. For most European players, prospect of living and playing in the U.S. is a far easier sell than Saudi Arabia, China, etc.

It’s not anything imminent, but 20 years from now I’d not be surprised if MLS were competing for the Tonalis and Isaks in their prime.

Edited by Deuce

32 minutes ago, Disco said:

Spurs selling Sanchez to Spartak seemingly. Seems a bit on the nose after taking advantage of the can fuck off for free rule to get Solomon from Shakhtar.

Western clubs allowed to trade with Russia? Genuine question- haven’t a clue who owns what and level of sanctions etc. 

There's no way the MLS will ever rival Europe. For a multitude of factors - not least travel times between games/times zones and the fact there are so many other sports vying for air time and competition.

SA will doubtless be building infrastructure as we speak on pretty much a blank canvas.