Other clubs' transfers

Greg

54 minutes ago, STM said:

Nee wonder Barca are skint, 29m for Adama Traore? :lol:

Our fans would have been gutted if we had signed him for 15m.

Barca have a option to buy for 35m - just like Wolves do with Trincao

Most likely a swap incoming 

It's not mandatory to buy at least, I think he'll be back in England by the summer. Worst thing that could happen for Barca is if he hits a purple patch and they end up stumping the full fee for him.

1 minute ago, Pilko said:

Traore's agent must be fucking incredible. He's absolutely chod.

This.

He's fucking hopeless. I wouldn't even want us spending any money on him (again). 

Basically, not a footballer.

23 minutes ago, Disco said:

Can't imagine the German pressing rent-a-coach that absolutely everybody employs helps either. High lines AOTS mixed with slow centre backs and full backs that can't defend. It can be good to watch, if Bayern aren't playing, as it's unpredictable but tactically it's pretty dull IMO.

See also the German national team stinking recent tournaments out and looking absolutely woeful at the back. 

Saying that there are obviously still some good players in and coming from the league. Sancho has moved to a team with no plan of playing from a set way of playing at Dortmund and Havertz is technically brilliant.

Outside of the poor defense, I also think it has to do with how some of these pressing coaches attack. They have specific patterns. Like if you watch Dortmund youtube videos under Klopp, you will notice attackers swarming around pressing and making themselves available for the pass. The goal is to receive and release quickly. Not a lot of players taking on the defender in one on one dribbling battles. The fact that the opposition defenses are poor, play a high line, and there are a lot of gaps helps play this way. In the premier league, the gaps are not there, the defenders are better and more physical, and an attacker is expected to win one on one battles with the opposition defender. 

Klopp's Liverpool play a bit different from Klopp's Dortmund. We have players like Salah and Mane who are aggressive in taking on defenders and winning one on one battles. 

With Sancho and Havertz, I feel like there is a little bit of history repeating itself with Kagawa. I remember Nuri Sahin who was supposed to be an immense attacking midfielder for Dortmund then moved to Madrid and then Liverpool on loan. He looked clueless for us on the pitch - looked like a fan who won the lottery to play for us. Shelvey had more impact for us. 

Of course, I watch very limited football outside of English football and my views are based on youtube compilations. Maybe I am completely wrong. 

32 minutes ago, brummie said:

This.

He's fucking hopeless. I wouldn't even want us spending any money on him (again). 

Basically, not a footballer.

That's what made it all the more baffling that Conte was all in for him. Even as a wing back you'd want someone with half decent delivery.

2 minutes ago, Village Idiot said:

Running has never been the issue with him...

:laugh:

Actually thinking about this a bit more it might be a weird one, because teams tend to sit deep against your lot right? And so it might not really suit him. Unless your coaches have got a clever plan to exploit his physical abilities.

In more of a counter attacking team in Spain I could have envisaged him overwhelming teams physically and just ploughing through them and causing chaos.

5 hours ago, Unbelievable said:

Holland I'll grant you, but Bundesliga?

I don't think these league comparisons based on a few individuals' records work all that well. A player might be good for one club and not for another even in the same country, so you can't put everything on the league for starters. Owen was a 1 in 2 striker at Liverpool and in his year at Madrid only managed 1 in 3 and failed. Similarly Bale was on fire for Spurs and failed at Madrid as well. What does this tell us about the strength of the PL and La Liga? I suspect not a great deal per se, since I think the average level in the PL (opposition defenders) is probably higher than anywhere else. A player however has to feel at ease and must fit his new surroundings. There's more to player performance than which league they  perform(ed) well in.

Owen had a decent record at Madrid despite being a squad player.

Gareth Bale has scored over 100 goals for Real Madrid. Including crucial goals in at least 3 major finals. He's not failed at Madrid.

Re: Germany - defensively it's a joke. Most goals scored in Bundesliga out of any major European league.

It's the high-lines and shit defenders.

There's a better hit record from the Championship in recent seasons.

2 hours ago, TRon said:

That's what made it all the more baffling that Conte was all in for him. Even as a wing back you'd want someone with half decent delivery.

Maybe he was and maybe he wasn’t. If I’ve learned anything this last 20 years it’s that almost all transfer speculation/ITK is bullshit.