Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Yeah, Gerrard had some embarrassing hard man stuff early on at Rangers but I don't remember it recently? In his overlap interview it was something he said he cringes over now as well.

Edited by Kid Icarus

24 minutes ago, brummie said:

Bit harsh on Gerrard some of this stuff.

His training methods are miles off the traditional British managers - for a start, we've got a huge coaching staff (you may recall Danny Murphy scoffing at the fact we have a dedicated set piece coach on MOTD) and use stats and analytics massively. He's miles away from MON with his bibs and cones or Bruce.

Based on his time with us, the season since his joining date, we'd be 9th.

I am still undecided on him, but if there's any doubt, it's not around him being the typical English manager of days gone by - he's no Souness.

Fair enough. You know better than us.

Interesting to see how Villa do next season. Early business looks impressive.

As long as the players we want aren't transferring I'm okay.

Took us a while to show our hand in 95, despite the Cole (+Mathie/Drysdale) money burning a hole in our pocket since March but it wasn't until Ferdinand was in talks with Villa that I got nervous.

Carlos I felt was a one time only offer in January to get us out of the relegation zone, not someone we'd be interested in at the start of a season.

Would probably have more doubts if we had signed him.

Don't mind Gerrard at all fwiw.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Can't see anything wrong with admitting that other clubs have bought well and improved, we don't have a monopoly on ambition. We have to remember that continual improvement and investment is normal, the fact we've been shorn of that for so long recently doesn't mean others haven't. They'll sign good players, but we'll sign good players too. I trust them to get it right more often than not and I'm only really concerned with who we buy. Doesn't mean I'm not going to acknowledge other clubs signing quality, it's perfectly healthy :)

I say good luck to Villa, the more clubs that challenge the greedy six the better. I admire their ambition, but I think folk are getting a bit carried away by the business they've done. The jury is still out on Gerrard aswell, particularly if Beale leaves.

48 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Reckon Botman is our no.1 target as he was in January. Young, ambitious and a leader. Hopefully he chooses us over Milan.

Get Bruno on the case...

bruno-guimaraes-blond-man-city.jpg?ancho

3 hours ago, midds said:

Can't see anything wrong with admitting that other clubs have bought well and improved, we don't have a monopoly on ambition. We have to remember that continual improvement and investment is normal, the fact we've been shorn of that for so long recently doesn't mean others haven't. They'll sign good players, but we'll sign good players too. I trust them to get it right more often than not and I'm only really concerned with who we buy. Doesn't mean I'm not going to acknowledge other clubs signing quality, it's perfectly healthy :)

Yeah, I agree.

I want the league as competitive as possible, as it will mean greater opportunities for other clubs to get into those European places and shake things up, and we'll be one of them.

Besides, I think Villa managing to sign these calibre of players bodes very well for us this summer, as we should be able to do the same, and I have no doubt we will.

20 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Didn’t the Sevilla fan on here say they’d get £70m for him?

Think he said that's how much he was worth to them at the time (when they were challenging for the league) Could be wrong though 

5 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

No I wouldn’t, I didn’t want him in January so why would I want him in the summer ?

Was desperate for someone in Jan.  Do remember the warnings coming from pundits about Carlos.  And that was concerning.

The isn’t desperate now. Don’t think NUFC were even remotely  intrerested after Jan. At his age and price point, we’ll do better.

Grudging respect to Villa's owners for them having a go.

fwiw, like us, they only took four points off the Top 6 last season. The fewer easy wins the top teams have, the easier it will become for other teams to break in there.

Villa did spent plenty and signed some alleged decent players, had a reasonable start to the season, they still finished below us.

I can only put it down to, they had so called better players, we were better coached. 

Edited by mighty__mag

Aye, to each their own. Some good points about Villa pushing to be the best they can be is good for the league - which I totally agree. I’ll just hold some jealousy until we start announcing signings. I really rather Diego Carlos because I felt he was a strong, fast, and experienced CB who could shake up our back-line a bit - however, we stayed up and I really rate Fab Schar in our system. Hopefully that means we really push the boat to sign a Sven Botman-type of CB. I’ve always like Kamara but fail to see how he’d be a good fit for us if Bruno is our main man. Coutinho is class, but hopefully we sign Paqueta and we get our long awaited and long-term attacking midfielder. 

Mad respect to Villa for getting deals done fast and literally without much noise. Hopefully we can do that more-so going forward. 

Find it a bit shit that Villa, a side that finished 14th in the league can go head to head with Atletico for Kamara and blow their offer out the water and raid Seville for one of their best players. 

Villarreal made the Champions League semi finals and have a smaller wage bill than Burnley who got relegated. 

The English sides on paper should be dominating all the European competitions for a while with how much of a financial imbalance there is compared to the other top leagues. 

Even the fact that we are competing with the the Serie A title winners for Botman annoys me a little bit as grateful as I am that those kinda signings are a possibility for us. 

10 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

Find it a bit shit that Villa, a side that finished 14th in the league can go head to head with Atletico for Kamara and blow their offer out the water and raid Seville for one of their best players. 

Villarreal made the Champions League semi finals and have a smaller wage bill than Burnley who got relegated. 

The English sides on paper should be dominating all the European competitions for a while with how much of a financial imbalance there is compared to the other top leagues. 

Even the fact that we are competing with the the Serie A title winners for Botman annoys me a little bit as grateful as I am that those kinda signings are a possibility for us. 

I think Villa threw everything at the Kamara deal and managed to get him. Obviously Athleti didn’t want to commit as much. 

Of course the average Premier league club is wealthier than the the average in Spain Italy etc but this is Down to British clubs having a more popular league. 

In the 1990’s it was the Italians doing it, the early 2000’s it was the Spanish. 

Would be interesting to see some stats on it. I'd be very surprised if the average wage bills in Italy and Spain in those periods were higher than England. I suspect it was only a few of the top clubs that had the ability to spend as much or slightly more than the top clubs in England.

@Conjo These are just some very recent examples but there are countless others. I also never said anyone is saying don't spend money but the lack of ambition because we might follow Everton is startling. If we are to believe the stated goals of our owners then we will have to start spending a big money soon on players, there is now way around it. We have so much wriggle room with regards to FFP that it's not even an issue at the moment.

I appreciate the examples below are not in context but the reason Everton are in the mess they are in is not because they spent a lot of money within a few years but more that they bought a load of £20 million-ish risky players with no strategy in place. It was and is a completely dysfunctional club. 

16 hours ago, Joey47 said:

Never conisdered that but it makes sense. Also dangerous though, they could end up like Everton (even if not to the same extent) while we build a solid base slowly and meticulously. 

15 hours ago, sushimonster85 said:

Oh, absolutely. I just think they won't go full pelt till all that starts to fall into place, or you end up in the situation Everton have found themselves in.

13 hours ago, macphisto said:

There's an unhealthy obsession on this board with Everton and their failures. That's one club who has messed up whilst ignoring countless examples of successful clubs who have done it by spending money.

Just re-quoting for easier reference. Maybe you didn't say it outright, but by refering to other clubs who's had success by spending money you sure imply that is what people on here have said.

15 minutes ago, macphisto said:

the reason Everton are in the mess they are in is not because they spent a lot of money within a few years but more that they bought a load of £20 million-ish risky players with no strategy in place. It was and is a completely dysfunctional club. 

Agree on that bit, and I think you'll struggle to find many, if any, that disagrees. However, at the time Everton signed these players, most people will have said XYZ was a good signing by them, similarly to what we are saying about Villa now. If the Villa team struggle to gel together and become a dysfunctional group like Everton, leaving Villa with FFP problems and a bunch of ageing, highly paid players they are unable to move on down the line, it wouldn't surprise people as we've just seen it happen to Everton. I think it's a valid concern to have for us as well, while at the same time wanting the club to invest as much as it can in order to become as good as it can. At the end of the day, it is all educated guesses and gambles. Some pay off, some don't.

I'd prefer if we target young players with potential as it will be easier to move them on for the same or even more than they were bought for after a season or two if they don't do as well as hoped/expected. It gives us a higher ceiling for how good we can become, and makes it easier for us to stay within the limits of FFP. I am always a bit sceptical about paying high fees and wages for 29+ players. I was fine with the signings in January as we needed the experience to stay up, but I flat out refuse to acknowledge that any of the fees we paid for any of the players were "bargains" or "steals". We paid a hefty sum for what we got, but we stayed up in style, so it was worth it as a short term fix. We have one of the oldest squads in the league so enough experience, and hope we look to build for the future in the summer.