Steve Brute

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Do you think it's even vaguely possible, even a 1% chance, that the players are saying they like the new manager and that he's better than the last one because every footballer says that about the new manager in every interview ever?

Or is it all genuine and 100% true this time, that the players believe Steve Bruce is a step up from Rafa Benitez?

Rafa's training is incredibly intense and to a certain extent repetitive and boring. He will make players repeat drills, positions till they are 100% perfect. It is a lot of information for folks to process. And he is incredibly cold and brutal apparently during training. His attitude was "you train 4 hours per day for 4 days, get paid millions of dollars, why are you complaining, this is nothing compared to what the rest of society do, if you cant take this get out of here". It takes players of a certain mentality to appreciate Rafa - Torres, Reina, Baraja, Mascherano, Garcia. I think there is a big cultural mentality difference in how players from some of these countries approach training - they are ok with it being hard, repetitive, and boring.

At LFC too, when Rafa left, there was a lot of statements from players like Gerrard, Carra on how training was "more fun" now. Even Bellamy, who played for LFC under Rafa and King Kenny said how training was more fun under King Kenny. However, at the end of their career, almost all of them acknowledged that Rafa was the best manager they trained under. I think pretty much all of them realized it once we started dropping down the table.

So I don't think the NUFC players are being disingenuous or anything. I think they are genuinely enjoying freedom. They don't have a person walking up to them shouting at corners, when the opposition is making 32 degree runs in front of you using zonal marking, you should stand 26 inches from the goal line at 48 degrees. You were at 24 inches and standing at 41 degrees. Let us repeat this 37 more times till you get it right.

Post more

Do you think it's even vaguely possible, even a 1% chance, that the players are saying they like the new manager and that he's better than the last one because every footballer says that about the new manager in every interview ever?

Or is it all genuine and 100% true this time, that the players believe Steve Bruce is a step up from Rafa Benitez?

Rafa's training is incredibly intense and to a certain extent repetitive and boring. He will make players repeat drills, positions till they are 100% perfect. It is a lot of information for folks to process. And he is incredibly cold and brutal apparently during training. His attitude was "you train 4 hours per day for 4 days, get paid millions of dollars, why are you complaining, this is nothing compared to what the rest of society do, if you cant take this get out of here". It takes players of a certain mentality to appreciate Rafa - Torres, Reina, Baraja, Mascherano, Garcia. I think there is a big cultural mentality difference in how players from some of these countries approach training - they are ok with it being hard, repetitive, and boring.

At LFC too, when Rafa left, there was a lot of statements from players like Gerrard, Carra on how training was "more fun" now. Even Bellamy, who played for LFC under Rafa and King Kenny said how training was more fun under King Kenny. However, at the end of their career, almost all of them acknowledged that Rafa was the best manager they trained under. I think pretty much all of them realized it once we started dropping down the table.

So I don't think the NUFC players are being disingenuous or anything. I think they are genuinely enjoying freedom. They don't have a person walking up to them shouting at corners, when the opposition is making 32 degree runs in front of you using zonal marking, you should stand 26 inches from the goal line at 48 degrees. You were at 24 inches and standing at 41 degrees. Let us repeat this 37 more times till you get it right.

Well it worked - end of last season our form was excellent.  Tactically the players knew what they had to do.

Well it worked - end of last season our form was excellent.  Tactically the players knew what they had to do.

Yes, I can imagine many players resent the seemingly endless grind of repitition but they also have to have been aware of how often it paid off in the back end of last season. That said I imagine they could get pretty disillusioned at the beginning of the season. Its only in hindsight they will look back and realise.

I still feel that we will see a gradual deterioration this season as defensive duties get neglected in the middle of the pitch, the doubling up, the being in the right place. With Bruce having no answers. :anguish:

Interesting post. Makes perfect sense tbf.

:thup:

Rafa is a tactical perfectionist. I remember comments from Gerrard about some game where they won and he was the hero, and after the game instead of Rafa congratulating him on the goal scored, he complains to Gerrard about his positioning for various times during the match. :lol: (something like that anyway). I can understand how some players just want some love and appreciation, but Rafa is bit cold and professional, he wants you to always improve regardless if you scored the winner.

As a teacher (not an elite football coach :lol:) you’re taught you are not friends with your students but a necessary figure of authority and your qualification backs that up. Lessons are always to be enjoyed, it’s work and in relation to other jobs they do relatively little (I know it’s relative) the best bosses are mentors and drivers. Last time I compare myself to Rafa Benitez :lol:

Rafa’s the kind of boss / teacher you’d be absolutely gutted about letting down. I remember classes at school where you just wouldn’t piss about out of total respect. Rafa commands that respect and inspires people to match his professionalism. I’m not sure what Bruce inspires, probably chancing it and dodging responsibility. I don’t actually dislike the guy that much, just think he’s a nothing manager with absolutely no spine which is the antithesis of Rafa

His angles were shit on those corners though, we conceded loads from set pieces. Should've been 21.5 inches at 43 degrees imo.

Then there is the return of Andy Carroll, a rare PR masterstroke from the Magpies.

Yet you don't go on to point out why is a club signing players solely as a PR exercise.

He's bang on, it certainly isn't a shambles. Getting rid of Rafa and his constant striving for betterment has allowed the club to settle cosily back into what they had with Pardew (assuming, of course, Bruce is indeed more 'Pardew' than 'McClaren') . Settles the majority down and generally works great, if that's what you're going for. If you're happy with just existing then it's a tried and tested formula and there's probably a lot of relief around the place.

The club might even have a really good season, it'll have been purely by accident though.

The likes of him surely must have been coerced at this point. I don't believe for a moment that he's genuinely that thick.

Has to be, how can you compare premier league seasons over a decade apart? Agenda driven, absolutely. Rather than try and defend his stance he just keeps saying it's "imterestimg" to him.

Yes, I can imagine many players resent the seemingly endless grind of repitition but they also have to have been aware of how often it paid off in the back end of last season. That said I imagine they could get pretty disillusioned at the beginning of the season. Its only in hindsight they will look back and realise.

I still feel that we will see a gradual deterioration this season as defensive duties get neglected in the middle of the pitch, the doubling up, the being in the right place. With Bruce having no answers. :anguish:

Two months after Ranieri replaced Rafa at Valencia, some of the senior players met Ranieri and complained that the training was a bit too simple. Ranieri asked them how Rafa did the defensive drills. The senior players told them Rafa had five overall defensive system drills customized to different types of opposition with tweaks introduced every weak to nullify specific threats for that weeks opposition.

He told NUFC TV: "When you are from this area and no matter how long you are away it stays with you.

"It's the unique thing us Geordies have.

"I've always had that feeling when coming over the Tyne Bridge and coming into Central Station: 'I'm home'.

"I'm sure Andy feels the same.

"We've had two brothers playing from the area so there's a few of us.

"Maybe we will have a Geordie XI one day!"

Really Steve, really....