Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Just came to post this. Who is this Nixon guy does he have any cred whatsoever.

Used to post on here didn't he? So I'm guessing no cred.

Thought that was Kristian Heneage or something. This is a Sun journo I think.

:thup: Getting mixed up.

The Premier League just don’t care. They have taken far too long. Ok so there is the Southampton situation which took longer, but that was effectively 2 different tests. There is no indication that PIF have failed a test. The Premier League are just taking their time because quite frankly, they don’t give a f***. They have even admitted that the pandemic hasn’t slowed the process down.

They have willingly let everyone with an agenda and who wanted to use the takeover as a form of publicity to do that, be that Amnesty, Hatice Cengiz, BeIN/Qatar, and various MP’s. They have had the opportunity to bury it in news of the Premier League restarting, and the Liverpool wankfest and passed on it.

They have had the opportunity to wash their hands of responsibility by the government repeatedly saying they won’t object to the takeover and then the WTO report, they failed too.

They have been asked by reporters, fans, and now a supporters trust why they think it’s ok to allow the club to just float adrift because of the lack of direction it’s leading too and failed to respond to those fans.

Masters has shown utter contempt for the fans and the club by saying timing isn’t an issue.

People are getting laughed at by suggesting that if this was another club, especially a top 6 club then it wouldn’t take so long. They are right, there has never been a case where a club has had to wait so long. As I pointed out the Southampton takeover was effectively 2 different processes. The EFL who took ages to decided how they would go about with project restart and like to cock things up, are halfway through their 2nd D&O test at Charlton in 6 months, and their tests are supposed to be stricter.

Good post and pretty much sums up my feelings in relation to premier league. It seems masters and co are holding this sale hostage until they can milk everything they can from it.

No club has had to endure this, and it would be interesting to know how strictly there adhering to the guidelines of the test, which appeared less than far reaching when this all started.

So they are bribing them.

Absolutely nobody could have predicted this would happen.

Fine by me.  Bribe the fuck out of them.

No problem with Masters announcing it while he drives his new solid gold Bentley to his new 500 bedroom mansion full of whores.

It's a frankly ridiculous process that the buyers have to send their answers via the sellers.

Surely in any other commercial situation, you'd just have an authorisation from the sellers to the PL to vet the buyers?

There's potential for huge conflicts of interest at play here.

The sellers could slow the deal down.

The sellers could see the buyers vision for a club (any club, not just NUFC) and adopt it themselves by playing games to kill the deal.

This is a ludicrous way of administering a deal.

Kanji[/member] - Man, WTF? You ever even heard of such bullshit?

Considering the acquisition business terms were agreed between buyer and seller and the league as governing body has to approve the sale, it makes absolutely no sense for the club to play middle man. I’m sorry I’ve done an enormous amount go M&A and often deal with a brand type authority required to approve such buyer and those conversations are always kept between those two parties to keep confidentiality and to also keep seller away from those negotiations.

It’s bonkers and doesn’t make sense

This should be passed straight to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

It does not fall in line with the D&O test, and clearly shows the Premier League going against their own rules.

hate shit like this, the PL rules are vague as fuck for a reason man, so they can do what they want and let whoever they want into their club/deny access

if the saudis hadn't been cunts over the piracy thing they'd not have been in this position

It's a frankly ridiculous process that the buyers have to send their answers via the sellers.

Surely in any other commercial situation, you'd just have an authorisation from the sellers to the PL to vet the buyers?

There's potential for huge conflicts of interest at play here.

The sellers could slow the deal down.

The sellers could see the buyers vision for a club (any club, not just NUFC) and adopt it themselves by playing games to kill the deal.

This is a ludicrous way of administering a deal.

Kanji[/member] - Man, WTF? You ever even heard of such bullshit?

Considering the acquisition business terms were agreed between buyer and seller and the league as governing body has to approve the sale, it makes absolutely no sense for the club to play middle man. I’m sorry I’ve done an enormous amount go M&A and often deal with a brand type authority required to approve such buyer and those conversations are always kept between those two parties to keep confidentiality and to also keep seller away from those negotiations.

It’s bonkers and doesn’t make sense

I know!

In simplistic terms, it's like selling your house but the buyer has to send all of his plans, financial affairs, structuring etc via YOU.

When you see that he's found a unique way to extend it, which will add value, that you never thought of you drag the ass out of the deal, you fuck up his paperwork, you share the data with third parties even though you're not strictly allowed and you basically do everything to influence them pulling out.

It does not fall in line with the D&O test, and clearly shows the Premier League going against their own rules.

hate shit like this, the PL rules are vague as fuck for a reason man, so they can do what they want and let whoever they want into their club/deny access

if the saudis hadn't been cunts over the piracy thing they'd not have been in this position

What they are assessed on is not vague.

Saying to someone you can’t buy the club unless you buy the TV rights is a clear attempt of blackmail. Even if it was allowed within the Premier League’s own rules, it wouldn’t be allowed legally.

Saying to someone you can’t buy the club unless you buy the TV rights is a clear attempt of blackmail. Even if it was allowed within the Premier League’s own rules, it wouldn’t be allowed legally.

They're not saying they can't buy the club. They're saying they won't be allowed in the league. And of course that woudn't be allowed, and I doubt it's even happened.

Mind it looks like it’s a no nowt junior journo who’s tweeted this shite.

no it's not, it specifically mentions piracy/IP rights and also that the league are able to knock an application if they feel the evidence suggests they've done something and not been found guilty in a court

under the most charitable interpretation of the saudi piracy thing the PL well within their rights to fuck it off imo and always have been, however they want the money in the league so trying to wring whatever they can out of them

hate s*** like this, the PL rules are vague as f*** for a reason man, so they can do what they want and let whoever they want into their club/deny access

if the saudis hadn't been c***s over the piracy thing they'd not have been in this position

Mind it looks like it’s a no nowt junior journo who’s tweeted this s****.

Nixon’s not a junior but I’m pretty sure he is a no nowt.

I've been pretty confident throughout all this but even I am now starting to think that this isn't going through. This is now way beyond ridiculous. Into the 13 fucking week man, WTF are they doing?

It's all looking increasingly dodgy from the PL's point of view.

They have one decision to make, whether or not any of the proposed directors have been convicted (or would be likely to be convicted in this country, whether or not there has been an actual conviction) of an offence that would carry a sentence of over 12 months, or involves dishonesty, or is a specified offence (including copyright theft). I'm sure there is probably some room for interpretation either way, but the test is simply whether a convictable offence has been committed.

From the outside what appears to be happening is that the PL have raised concerned about the piracy issues and are refusing to make a decision until they have assurances that it will be resolved in some way. However, if they believe such an offence has been committed by the directors the only option available to them is for them to fail the test, retrospectively resolving the matter wouldn't make that offence go away.

This thread would make for an amazing PhD analysis of the human psyche during lockdown and having to interact mainly online. You can now almost time the pendulum swinging between optimism and dread, and you can actually predict patterns in the way posters react to tweets based solely on who they’re from, not what they say.

I've been pretty confident throughout all this but even I am now starting to think that this isn't going through. This is now way beyond ridiculous. Into the 13 fucking week man, WTF are they doing?

The immediate answer would have rejected so be thankful they have stretched it out tbh

Personally don't think the Saudis will allow this deal not to go through and they'll make the concessions to the arseholes at the PL. MBS wouldn't want Qatar pretty much preventing one of the most high profile acquisitions that PIF has made so far. I mean, this is a guy who replied to a question asking if anything can stop him with "only death".

I think the government will step in more forcefully behind the scenes eventually. There's just too much political influence involved in this with the Rubens and Saudis involved for the government to allow this to continue, or for the PL to be allowed to effectively decide that the ruler of Saudi Arabia is a criminal.

I was involved in something where a government minister intervened seemingly just because someone wrote them a letter saying they'd once met Margaret Thatcher FFS. There's no way that this government will just stand back and let that happen.