Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

Could you make a point that OGS has only won 1 game this season where his team were not the favourites? (PSG away)

You could, and it would be one of the worst arguments I've ever seen. I would imagine most teams do not wins games they're not favourites in. Have Liverpool won any they weren't favourites in for example? You could instead make a point that he has come away from games against Liverpool and City with points when we were expected to lose.

They are overly reliant on Bruno as well, and he just doesn’t do it in the big games. I’m not gonna get into a debate about it, because everyone is sick to death of it. But it’s clear from the stats:

He has one goal (pen) and no assists against the top 6 teams. They need to change something tactically or buy their way out of that issue. I think next season will be much harder for them personally.

The game against Chelsea he was genuinely poor, he has been very good for us in the majority of the "big six" games this season. Ole sets us up differently in those games, preferring to be defensive and trying to keep a clean sheet. Bruno is a huge part of that, as his defensive work is second to only Fred in our side.

Chelsea are in excellent form under a new manager. 0-0 is a good result against a rejuvenated Chelsea. 0-0 is a good result against Liverpool and City. 0-0 is an acceptable result away to Arsenal.

But the most important thing here is how super cherry picked this is. You'll notice I've bolded how you put the "top 6" teams. This isn't the top 6 teams. It's a list of what someone considers to the be "biggest" teams. Leicester and West Ham are in the top 4, so by literal definition are top 6 teams. West Ham, who in December were 1-0 up against us until Bruno came off the bench and completely turned the game on its head registering an assist and dominating the game. Leicester also in December, where he dominated the game again and scored and assisted.

So against actual top 6 teams, we have played 6 games (4 of which were away), winning 1, drawing 5 and losing 0 with 4 clean sheets. 4 of those games ended 0-0, but in the other 2 games with goals, Bruno scored 1 (not a pen) and assisted 2.

I assume we're also going to continue to cherry pick and ignore cup games, where he came off the bench and scored the winner against Liverpool.

The funniest thing about all this though is people now criticising him for not scoring or assisting enough in "big" games, forgetting he's a bloody midfielder. 3 goal contributions in 6 games against the top 6 sides is an excellent return.

De Bruyne against the same top 6 this season has also played 6 games, scoring 1 and assisting 3, having played more minutes. He is probably praised for this but Bruno is slated for a similar return.

All about perspective I guess, but when we say top 6, please actually use the top 6 as the example.

I already said he was shite against Chelsea (he was shite against Arsenal too), but a lot of it is due to the way we seem to set up now against the "big" sides. You've posted two links there. One was identical to the one up above, and the second was just a breakdown of the Chelsea game. Still think 0.38 goal contributions a game against the top sides is a good return for a midfielder personally and is probably in the top bracket of Premier League midfielders against the same teams. Of course against Chelsea we were also missing Pogba and Cavani which allows the opposition to focus a lot more on Bruno and try and neutralise him.

No cherry picking from me though. You said top 6, I gave you the top 6. :thup: Also think Sky Sports should be looking at the top 6 of the table rather than the "big six."

We did very well against the top sides last year and were dropping a lot of stupid points to the lower placed sides. Hopefully some balance is coming, but I'm personally quite happy with our results against the teams around us in the table.

It is quite hard to Bruno Fernandes to shine against the Big 6 when OGS has completely shat himself and played for the 0-0 in all of them :lol:

Which could be a genuine criticism of Ole, as we did well against the "big 6" last year so there's no need for it. I can understand him doing him against Liverpool and City but we should be having a go against Chelsea. Still, avoiding defeat in those games is important, and we generally have done. So fuck knows what way to look at it.

Some interesting ends to the season possible.

- Top 4 places in PL.

- s***-off for the last relegation place in PL.

- 4 teams possibly fighting over 2nd in Championship.

- 6 teams fighting over the playoff places in Championship.

- Literally anyone from 1st - about 10th could end up promoted from League One with how open the playoffs are.

- 7 teams separated by 4 points at the bottom of League One.

- Top of League Two has 10 points separating the top 10 teams (with the team in 10th having 3 games in hand on the team in 2nd).

- Relegation s***-off between 3 teams for 2 places.

Has it ever been this close across the board? Other than 1st place in PL and Championship and Wycombe to be relegated, pretty much everything else is up from grabs.