Elliot Anderson

joeyt

I think there is still time for him to develop but at the moment, he’s too safe with the ball, scared to make any attempts at creating stuff, and too indecisive in possession (which is a big problem for a lot of our current squad)

Is it really bad to say he’s an honest lad with OK basics and good effort but ultimately doesn’t have anywhere near enough influence on games due to the fact he’s not that talented? Either way he’s not the answer and shouldn’t be starting games next season. Loan spell and see.

He’s far more technically able than Longstaff but in an attacking sense he never seems to get free of his man and then pick a pass which is a bit of a problem for a wide player 

I don't think he's good enough as either a wide player or a CM at this level. He's OK at almost everything but with no real standout attribute. 

Thought that Spurs game might have been his breakthrough performance but aside from that, its been decidedly average. I know he's still young, but he's made 50 appearances for us now, albeit not that many starts. He'll have to start showing something more sooner rather than later. 

If in Europe keep him if not loan him out to championship club, think he could do with dropping a level and see if he's able to influence games.

He has ability and is physically capable, but he isn't brave enough in the attacking third, rarely makes a burst into the box, almost exclusively plays safe passes, and never looks like scoring a goal. 

There is a player in there but he doesn't seem to have the confidence or belief to take risks and impose himself on games. 

Posted (edited)

Said in match thread, got the skill set IMO, and still at a young age to develop. Just question the pathway currently and his style for the team.

Needs to be playing solid minutes next season, so I think a loan to the top end Championship would be great for him and us. He gets games in a side that’s regularly attacking, he learns and develops, and we have two options. Either improves where we bring him into squad a better player, or cash in with his stock increased.

Not going to improve if he’s playing limited minutes, which will happen if everyone is fit. 

Edit: I’d be praying if that happened, it’s a similar loan to MGW as he was 21 then, and not looked back since. 

Edited by Sibierski

The ones thinking this lad is the next best thing are probably the ones who thought Longstaff was better than Declan Rice.

I'm not writing the kid off completely but he's done nothing as of yet to suggest he's going to be anything other than average.

2 minutes ago, Beth said:

I think Miley is better than Anderson.

I think the skillsets are so different. Anderson needs a nice run in the conf league for us.

8 hours ago, Andy said:

He has ability and is physically capable, but he isn't brave enough in the attacking third, rarely makes a burst into the box, almost exclusively plays safe passes, and never looks like scoring a goal. 

There is a player in there but he doesn't seem to have the confidence or belief to take risks and impose himself on games. 

I think he's plenty brave, just doesn't have the elite level of skill or finesse required to beat top level defenders.

He was basically playing like Maradonna at Bristol Rovers. He obviously has that bravery in an attacking sense, but he's trying to fit in to Eddie's system.

3 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

He was basically playing like Maradonna at Bristol Rovers. He obviously has that bravery in an attacking sense, but he's trying to fit in to Eddie's system.

And playing against premiership opposition not league 2.

46 minutes ago, TRon said:

I think he's plenty brave, just doesn't have the elite level of skill or finesse required to beat top level defenders.

I don't see it personally. He rarely ever tries to make a brave play and instead almost always looks for the safe option :dontknow: it's very rare that he makes a run in behind, tries a cutting pass, or even takes a pop from distance. Even Longstaff tries these things fairly regularly despite having less technical ability, he just fails in the execution usually.

8 minutes ago, Andy said:

I don't see it personally. He rarely ever tries to make a brave play and instead almost always looks for the safe option :dontknow: it's very rare that he makes a run in behind, tries a cutting pass, or even takes a pop from distance. Even Longstaff tries these things fairly regularly despite having less technical ability, he just fails in the execution usually.

I've seen him running into defenders a few times, maybe he just lacks a bit in the pace or guile department.

Needs some confidence and arrogance is all. I think he's trying too hard to just follow instructions and not go for the instinctive options.

9 hours ago, HawK said:

Needs some confidence and arrogance is all. I think he's trying too hard to just follow instructions and not go for the instinctive options.

Gordon hinted similar in his Gary Neville interview on Whitely prom!