Graeme Jones

loki679

Truly weird, but typical for us, if we really did hire this guy to run the show with Bruce the “manager in name only.” If there were anyone with a spine in a position of authority at this club, Bruce would be out on his ass.

sorry if I've missed this being mentioned before but seen/heard from a couple of podcasts that I've been listening to today that Jones was in the dressing room during half-time against Leeds?  Anyone know if this is true.  Might help explain the upturn in the second half?

New manager bounce was clearly there against Everton and it was still there to an extent tonight; we looked brighter and more confident, despite what turned out to be a pretty rubbish performance. It wasn't the abject misery of Sheffield United, etc. I'm by no means saying tonight was acceptable, it wasn't; just pointing out that the effects of a new voice are clearly there.

Still, a combination of a terrible manager and a rookie from the bottom of the Championship is not a recipe for success, for a variety of reasons.

The demeaner of the players against Everton was totally different to how they have been.  Even prior to kickoff you could see it, players smiling at each other, chatting, really looking up for it  and they were totally at it right from the start and that can only be because of Jones. Bruce is incapable of motivating players this way

we need some clarity on the jones/bruce dynamic. Be interesting to see what Bournemouth do with Woodgate.  some similarites to our situation.. bring Woodgate in.. Tindall loses a couple. .then sacked, Woodgate takes charge till end of the season

Players have also been blatantly told to 'have a go' in the transition, i.e. take players on. Only Saint-Maximin had been looking to take anyone on so far from what I could tell this season, and that includes Almiron who'd run as far as he could, look up to find a pass, and lay it off. Seen many more players these last 2 games try to be more confident on the ball, and it completely changes the way teams treat us now, the press is less intense as they know if they go screaming in (like we used to do all the time), it'd be easy for the player in position to change direction and take it past them and beat him. Before, we'd just pass it backwards, so we invited the intense press without consequence. The slick passing triangles are all a result of punishing a fast press with simple quick feet and the 80s Liverpool adage of pass and move. Been a breath of fresh air. Our players actually looked good sometimes.

problem with all the nice passing is that its not going anywhere. End of 1st half last night.. there was 2 mins added on.. there was about 40 seconds left of the 2 mins and the players were just casually passing it back and forth and the referee blew his whistle

same happened with the Carroll header in the 94th minute, i thought the ball would never be crossed into the box

Steve mcManaman even mentioned it on a number of occasions.. we are getting our possession stats up but doing nothing with the ball

Missed out most of the first half last night, watched first 10mins and then tuned back in, and it was 2-1  :sad:

From what I saw from the kick-off it was night and day. Total breathe of fresh air and a joy to watch. Everyone looked to have an energy about them, pressing high, but with clear triggers - like even Hendrick or Shelvey bursting out of nowhere to charge someone down and stop Palace passing it into midfield.

No chance has that come from the Cock in charge or his two balls.

problem with all the nice passing is that its not going anywhere. End of 1st half last night.. there was 2 mins added on.. there was about 40 seconds left of the 2 mins and the players were just casually passing it back and forth and the referee blew his whistle

same happened with the Carroll header in the 94th minute, i thought the ball would never be crossed into the box

Steve mcManaman even mentioned it on a number of occasions.. we are getting our possession stats up but doing nothing with the ball

I didn't mean the whole approach of 'nice passing' them to death and not scoring, I'm not an advocate of possession-based football and I agree with your point. But in this thread, I disagree that this was Jones' direction to the team in the second half. This was Bruce taking Jones' approach and telling the lads to pass it to death, so that when they lose he can say 'well they tried to do it the passing way' and put the blame on him. Yes he's that shit and petty.

I noted in the early second half we were pinging in tonnes of early crosses, at least half a dozen in from either side, so the urgency was definitely there. I can only assume it was Bruce that then told everyone to calm down and just sit back for the loss to pin the blame as required.

Players have also been blatantly told to 'have a go' in the transition, i.e. take players on. Only Saint-Maximin had been looking to take anyone on so far from what I could tell this season, and that includes Almiron who'd run as far as he could, look up to find a pass, and lay it off. Seen many more players these last 2 games try to be more confident on the ball, and it completely changes the way teams treat us now, the press is less intense as they know if they go screaming in (like we used to do all the time), it'd be easy for the player in position to change direction and take it past them and beat him. Before, we'd just pass it backwards, so we invited the intense press without consequence. The slick passing triangles are all a result of punishing a fast press with simple quick feet and the 80s Liverpool adage of pass and move. Been a breath of fresh air. Our players actually looked good sometimes.

Agree, I've seen a few players looking to do stuff they would never have tried normally, Almiron is definitely trying to go past players now, he even sold a dummy yesterday letting one roll on to Shelvey. Lewis is looking more dynamic, although the nerves are still evident, and Schar is back to bringing the ball out, which he had almost given up on since Bruce signed in.

We were like a different team that played Everton.

This passing around the back in circles was a joke and so frustrating to watch , some of the needless passes were astonishing at times .

Something changed back to normal last night, wonder who did that eh?

I think we started with the same plan and intention as we had against Everton, but Palace are far more defensive and so they started sitting in deeper on us.

This is what then started makig things difficult for us. Largely because Shelvey and Hendrick are so slow on the ball and off it, and they cannot beat a plyer and carry the ball ... ever.

The left and right CM roles are going to be vital in this setup as we will need more dynamic play from those positions. Even defensively also where they will need to cover the full backs.

Would like to see Almiron on the left side and Fraser/Willock on the right side of CM. They will add better movement, passing, carrying of the ball and tracking the full backs.

I know Almiron has been brilliant in the number 10, but I think due to our weak midfield he is more needed in this position. I think he will also still be a threat going forward and would hopefully still be able to provide a lot of what he has in the role he is currently playing.

Guest reefatoon

We probably need to come to terms that this bloke is no doubt an utter buffoon too, just a buffoon with a little more tactical know how than the missing link of a manager we have. He’s an Ashley appointment so will no doubt be shite. Was nice to have a little jump up from what we have been used too, but that really didn’t need a lot of work. Bin the lot of them.

we need some clarity on the jones/bruce dynamic.

Do we really? As long as we're playing like we did against Everton on a pretty regular basis, I don't give a shit who's in charge or not. Just want to see a bit of belief from the squad and some semblance of tactics.

Two matches is two small of a sample size to really make that determination but the signs are pointing in a positive direction.

We probably need to come to terms that this bloke is no doubt an utter buffoon too, just a buffoon with a little more tactical know how than the missing link of a manager we have. He’s an Ashley appointment so will no doubt be shite. Was nice to have a little jump up from what we have been used too, but that really didn’t need a lot of work. Bin the lot of them.

:thup: My hunch also.