Relegationometer

Yorkie

Relegationometer  

332 members have voted

1. 1. We going down then or what? 10 - aye, doomed, no hope of salvation / 5 - can't call it / 0 - nah we're sound, can't wait for next season

One thing is for sure, this season the only way to avoid relegation is to look after your own results and forget about other results. All the clubs around the bottom of the league are getting results and fighting for their lives. The ones that aren't are already pretty close to safety like Watford and West Brom.

Bournemouth, Swansea, WBA, and dare I say it Mackems home games will be massive. Norwich and Villa away too.

13 points please. I thank you; including the sweetest 3 of them all--preferably by a comfortable margin (getting sick of all this tension malarkey). Once again, I thank you.

Bournemouth, Swansea, WBA, and dare I say it Mackems home games will be massive. Norwich and Villa away too.

13 points please. I thank you; including the sweetest 3 of them all--preferably by a comfortable margin (getting sick of all this tension malarkey). Once again, I thank you.

We have to absolutely, catagorically have no choice but to beat the Mackems, one way or the other it might be our last chance for a while. Not to mention stopping the streak, would absolutely love it if we muller ed them but will settle for a win, any win will do!

A couple of decent performances recently don't change the fact we're still in deep shit. Back in the relegation zone after 22 matches with only Watford and Palace in worse form than NUFC, and they're both well clear of us already. We desperately need to start picking up points on a regular basis.

The relegation battle is shaking out in a pretty standard way in terms of points, even if the results are all over the place. The team averaging 1 point per game are just outside the relegation zone, with the team averaging just under that in 18th place.

We need to look after our results and target at least 40 points. If we can get to that total then we should be safe regardless of other results. We can definitely do it if we play the way we have recently and if we get the kind of average points we have over the past ten games or so. It's a disastrous start that has really badly hurt us. The good thing is that we are a team improving, rather than a team in free fall like we were under Carver last year. I was more convinced we were going down last season than I am this season.

This weekend was always going to be a tough one to get out of the relegation zone in terms of when all the results were in. Firstly we needed to beat West Ham, which we did well to do. Then we also needed favourable results from games that were more than likely to play out the way they did. Swansea at home against an out of form Watford side and an improving Bournemouth side at home against Norwich. It was why our game against West Ham was almost a must win. We'd be in an awful position if we'd lost.

I think West Brom are absolutely in this and if we beat Watford this week they will be looking down instead of up. I'm pretty confident at the moment, but a couple signings and three points will do that.

Lose to Watford and it's back to panic stations.

I think West Brom are absolutely in this and if we beat Watford this week they will be looking down instead of up. I'm pretty confident at the moment, but a couple signings and three points will do that.

Lose to Watford and it's back to panic stations.

To be fair we did not really have to many options to rotate (quality ones anyway) but that's an entirely bigger issue.

Since the mauling at Palace, we've played 8 league games (W3, L3, D2). That's 11 points from 8 games, which included Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, and Man Utd. That's more like mid-table form.

Obviously our horrific start puts us in a bad place, but if we play that out over the remaining 16 games we'd have 43 points and should be safe. Factor in the improvement in our midfield and possibly other reinforcements and I'm pretty confident we'll be ok barring some major injuries.

Been a strange season for us, some games like Palace away and Leicester at home, we've looked every inch the relegation fooder, the league table tells us we are but other games like Liverpool, Spuds, the last two and even in defeats at Arsenal, we've looked in a false position.

I am convinced there are far worse teams than us in the division, with much weaker "on paper" squads, so surely we have enough to not drop, if we sign Townsend and Berahino, I am convinced we won't.

I was playing Fifa 16 last night against Stoke and that got me thinking, look at their team, look at some of the players that play regularly for them, Bardsley, Whelan, Walters, Ireland and Wilson, players we wouldn't want near our first team, and they are managed by a manager this forum has concluded to be craptastic on many occasions, as was their previous manager, yet year on year, they are comfortable, never have relegation worries and even have some moderate success, semi final of the league cup this year, not long ago were in an FA cup final.  How can they do this while we have been caught in relegation battles 3 of the last 4 years !!

Since the mauling at Palace, we've played 8 league games (W3, L3, D2). That's 11 points from 8 games, which included Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, and Man Utd. That's more like mid-table form.

:thup: we're on the up. Also encouraging was the West Ham performance being like night and day compared to the reverse fixture in September.

Some stats to ridicule/ignore...

• We are in the top 3 in the league for shots inside the box in the last four gameweeks.
  • We have allowed the second most shots from inside the box in the last four gameweeks (Leicester the most).
  • We have 68 shots from counter attacking moves, 9th most in the league.
  • Conversely, we only have 15 shots from established possession in the opposition's half, which is tied for second fewest with West Ham. Crystal Palace and Leicester have the fewest with 11, which shows that Pardew is still a c*** but you can be successful this way (with a couple incredibly in-form players).
  • We've conceded the most shots (355) and the second most shots on target (116). Only Sunderland is worse with 134.
  • 141 of those shots have come from the "danger" zone, which is basically the middle of the penalty area (from goal line to 18 yard line and the width of six yard box). That's second worst in the league behind West Ham.
  • We have the worst differential between shots taken and shots allowed (-132) and the second worst for on target (-35).
  • And, finally, our expected goal difference (xGD*) is -13.1, the worst in the league.

* xGD combines expected goals and expected goals conceded, which take into account shot type, assist type, shot location, speed of attack and some other things. Here's a full explanation: http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnation.com/2015/10/19/9295905/premier-league-projections-and-new-expected-goals