Round of 16 | Sweden 1-2 Ukraine

Unbelievable

3 hours ago, samptime29 said:

Mbappe had such a big chance late in extra time. Bit of composure, control and look for a little inside pass to Giroud. Massive moment.

I was thinking he could have side footed it far post. Instead he let it roll past him. 

1 hour ago, ManDoon said:

Kick and run merchant? he has 78 goals in 80 games lol. There's some wild shit being said about Mbappe on here

I meant in this tournament he has looked like a kick and run merchant. If anyone watched Mbappe for the first time in this Euros, they would be wondering what the fuss was all about. In the next two sentences, I have said that one possibility is the lack of clarity in tactics from Deschamps. Pogba has looked good. Griezmann at times has looked good. Everyone else including the player I thought deserved the Balon d'or this year - Kante - has looked very ordinary. 

He basically looked like obertan. 

I was so mad at that penalty by Rodriguez. I'm still raging. In the end though it was a catalyst for an obscene match so maybe I should let him off. 

He's only 28? Fuck. He's been around forever! 

Maybe the French were over-confident. With the third Swiss goal in the last minute, they lost the ball in midfield and then a huge gap appeared between the two centre backs for the Swiss to run into. They looked like they had the game won, and their concentration seemed to go.

Guest HTT II

That was an epic evening of football, the Swiss were brilliant and France for all their talent, we’re very brittle under any form of attack by the Swiss and with their own attack, very disjointed. Especially Mbappe who needs to learn how to play without his pace at times. I think it shows his inexperience and for his development he needs to move to a stronger league.

International football is really the last bastion of football so pure and untainted by money.

don’t really get this reaction in domestic cup competitions now unless a minnow wins

I know lots of people will have enjoyed France going out, but they actually played the best football of the tournament in the second half. Benzema and Pogba's goals were amazing, and some of the passing and interplay involving them and Griezmann was what the game is all about. Defensively they were exposed, but with them going out and Belgium losing two of their three best players, the tournament is wide open. 

Guest HTT II
11 minutes ago, James said:

International football is really the last bastion of football so pure and untainted by money.

don’t really get this reaction in domestic cup competitions now unless a minnow wins

The standard is improving for me after a few not so great eras for many teams, it’s still a level below the Champions League, however, especially in the latter stages, this tournament has been great though and a welcome boost in these uncertain times, I’ve loved every minute of it and hardly missed a match. I’m extremely nervous for this evening though, if England turn up we can beat anyone…

2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

The standard is improving for me after a few not so great eras for many teams, it’s still a level below the Champions League, however, especially in the latter stages, this tournament has been great though and a welcome boost in these uncertain times, I’ve loved every minute of it and hardly missed a match. I’m extremely nervous for this evening though, if England turn up we can beat anyone…

I mean, that's a bit of a weird phrase (in general). You could just as well say that if the Czech turn up they could beat anyone, that's just the general basis of the game of football :lol: It starts 0-0 and anyone on a good day, or with a bit of luck, could beat everyone else.

I get your point and all, it's just a phrase that bugs me.

Edited by Kaizero

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Kaizero said:

I mean, that's a bit of a weird phrase (in general). You could just as well say that if the Czech turn up they could beat anyone, that's just the general basis of the game of football :lol: It starts 0-0 and anyone on a good day, or with a bit of luck, could beat everyone else.

I get your point and all, it's just a phrase that bugs me.

Aye it’s quite a cliche, but in broader terms I guess I’m meaning if the likes of Kane turn up, Sterling performs, Grealish, Foden et al if they play. It’s all about the team needing to click which we haven’t yet. We need a big big statement type performance tonight to stamp our mark on the tournament and prove our credentials as one of the faves. Again, no one will want to play England if we win even if we do so playing poorly, we’ve become very hard to beat and got at and if only we can click going forward, we can destroy teams. I fancy the German’s sadly… I just don’t think we’ll cope with the pressure!

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

Aye it’s quite a cliche, but in broader terms I guess I’m meaning if the likes of Kane turn up, Sterling performs, Grealish, Foden et al if they play. It’s all about the team needing to click which we haven’t yet. We need a big big statement type performance tonight to stamp our mark on the tournament and prove our credentials as one of the faves. Again, no one will want to play England if we win even if we do so playing poorly, we’ve become very hard to beat and got at and if only we can click going forward, we can destroy teams. I fancy the German’s sadly… I just don’t think we’ll cope with the pressure!

England generally cruise through qualifying, but you also never meet one of the other "better" teams due to the seeding. I think England's level is just below the truly elite nations which is why you tend to fall through when you meet them in competition. 

I don't particularily like Löw or the Germans these days so I hope you beat the shit out of them and then crush the Swedes before making mincemeat of the Danes, just fyi. Not sure who you'd face in a final so can't say if who I'd cheer for there just yet :lol: 

Deschamps had what was probably the strongest overall squad but is trying to shoehorn all his best players in at the expense of making a functioning team.

A bit like weve seen with trying to get Lampard, Gerrard and Scholes into a midfield 4.

Some managers cant see the wood for the trees.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

England generally cruise through qualifying, but you also never meet one of the other "better" teams due to the seeding. I think England's level is just below the truly elite nations which is why you tend to fall through when you meet them in competition. 

I don't particularily like Löw or the Germans these days so I hope you beat the shit out of them and then crush the Swedes before making mincemeat of the Danes, just fyi. Not sure who you'd face in a final so can't say if who I'd cheer for there just yet :lol: 

I’d say we are on a par with any of the elite nations quality wise, they just show it better or more in big tournaments and that’s always been a problem for us whenever we have been on a par. 

6 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’d say we are on a par with any of the elite nations quality wise, they just show it better or more in big tournaments and that’s always been a problem for us whenever we have been on a par. 

I think, as with most nations to be fair, the English view the quality of their team with rose tinted glasses. The familiarity with the names and performances makes the expectations of the team higher than if they weren't as familiar. I think, at least.

Not saying England isn't quality. Just that some tournaments I understand the confidence the English have in their side and sometimes I don't, this tournament being one of them. It's a very young side though, which bodes great for the future.

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

I think, as with most nations to be fair, the English view the quality of their team with rose tinted glasses. The familiarity with the names and performances makes the expectations of the team higher than if they weren't as familiar. I think, at least.

Not saying England isn't quality. Just that some tournaments I understand the confidence the English have in their side and sometimes I don't, this tournament being one of them. It's a very young side though, which bodes great for the future.

Agreed, I’d be happy with a semi final place which I’d consider real success and feel we have really progressed since Southgate got appointed, I do also feel that the gap in international football between all the teams is smaller than its ever been which is great for tournaments like this. England have a great chance though to finally establish ourselves as a elite football team and not a potential one. Pressure as ever will determine things with England I feel.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Anderson said:

How good was yesterday, man? Got me right in the mood for today now. Howay Gareth’s tricky lions!

It was elite international tournament knock out football at its best. Those who were knocked out didn’t really deserve to get knocked out either that’s how good both matches were. Long may it continue, with England turning over Germany this evening, fingers crossed…