Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

31 minutes ago, GWN said:

Every fucker on here in a PL manager all of a sudden , maybe 19 other teams are just better than us ? These are NOT his players , they were shot to shit . He came in and has improved wee bits but these are utter shite players in the main . In hindsight we maybe should have a better midfielder in there but who do you suggest ? Hayden has been shite , Hendrick is shite , that team sent out today looked good on paper against an on paper average Leicester, yet still a much better Leicester than us .

His options are horrific until January, always have been and believe me we are going to look a lot worse in the next 2 weeks .

I trust a young , modern , hungry EH over anyone on here’s opinion .

whilst I agree to much of this I was just slightly bewildered at the numbness of that performance, they were stumbling around.After the recent feelgood factor too

32 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

A high press and yet we didn't create one good chance, didn't dominate possession in their half and managed on 3 first half attempts. I wouldn't consider that in any way effective.

No question, the pen didn't help but they completely downed tools on a new manager and that's a huge concern imho.

Genuinely, I cannot see that he's made much impact yet tbh. Aye Joelinton is playing better but he's not gonna keep us up. A top manager (imho) would've implemented a style and/or system by now even if those players trying to implement it are shit.

I honestly cannot see what the fuck he's trying to get them to do.

He's not a miracle worker tbf, he's obviously got a preferred front foot style, but it will be difficult to get a tune out of this lot playing attacking football. Rafa tried it and it was disastrous then as well. I guess we'll find out over the next few weeks if Howe has a plan B, because he's got to change either his team or his tactics on today's evidence. 

Howe’s taken on a monumental task. We’re probably in even more of a shitty state than we were when Rafa came in to be honest. And for all the good he did back then (I loved Rafa’s time at Newcastle) he took a while to get going as well. A few games into his tenure we shipped 3 goals at both Southampton and Norwich before getting his first win against Swansea at the fifth attempt. The “shut up shop” games were few and far between back then (even though we had some good results the last few games that season).

It wasn’t really until we got back up again after he got the chance to build a team in the Championship (yeah I know but that first summer window wasn’t too bad considering) and drill them to his liking that we started to see the super calculated defensive performances.

So a pre-season, a Championship season and another pre-season.

Howe’s had 5 games after our worst start ever to a Premier League season. The squad is shit in most positions (that will hopefully change somewhat in January), we’ve been even more chronically mismanaged since Rafa left and the moral has been at an all time low I assume. It will take time but I’m certain that Howe will get us safe this season by doing things his way. These coming games will be a tad painful though most certainly but we’ll get there. I love that he is positive and that he seems to ‘get it’ and in time that will tell in both performances and results. 

Edited by clintdempsey

5 minutes ago, GWN said:

Wait till we play Man C and Liverpool, urgh [emoji38]

Im going to avoid this place until the new year......it will be suicidal in here by boxing day.   Have a great Xmas all and see you in 2022....hope its better than this shite year!

Edited by Awaymag

21 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

He’s trying to implement a style of football that we just do not have the players to play.

It’ll never work.

This. He need to set the team up to get the best out of what he has at the moment, it's blindingly obvious that we need more bodies in central midfield, we just don't the quality of players to get away without any defensive cover in midfield.

51 minutes ago, alijmitchell said:

Really like Eddie Howe, but my reservation was that I don’t think he’s necessarily what we needed right now (in terms of survival). Too early to say maybe, but I haven’t seen that much to change my opinion yet.

This is what I'm worried about now. I think I felt a bit of it after we lost out on Emerey and Howe was next in line, but was also disappointed how Emerey was on then gone. I'm not going to say we should get a manager who knows how to battle relegations, and maybe Emerey would have delivered same or worse, but maybe one that has track record of improving the defence. It's annoying as Howe ticks many boxes and I love his attacking philosophy, but I have a worry if he is right man at the wrong time. He will have to change things now. I love how more fit and intense are players are, something is getting better, but we are not playing an attacking system that makes sense in the final third. Passing isn't quick enough, goes back to keeper too much, we ignore overlap runners a lot. We need to be more bold and link up quicker and faster. Today could be just a bad day at the office all round, but felt we caved against Leicester and didn't have a plan to unlock them. 

Will continue to trust Howe. Maybe a shock win a against a big side will make up for it.

5 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Today was the most worried about Howe I’ve been. There’s been a lot of good stuff in other games but this was straight up horrible 

To be fair mate he’s young, learning , coming off managing fuking Bournemouth man not Barcelona .It’s hardly right to lay ANY of this at his door . 
However he will make mistakes, a lot of good managers do , he isn’t a miracle worker . Modern day managers are gifted no time , I think EH will be given in it from most of us . 

For me the next game is the first real test of him, I’m not talking about us getting a result, but he need to make changes to personnel and formation to show he is learning from our games.

If he persists with the 2 in the middle then we are going to be embarrassed.

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

I still think the squad is capable of finishing lower midtable and has done for a number of seasons. Its just a squad that's been chronically miscoached for a number of years. Howe isn't going to fix this in a few weeks. There have been promising signs, but we are still going to put in poor performances.

That doesn't mean Howe is incapable of bad decisions or poor management, but its very difficult to get a good grasp of his work after a handful of games.

I personally think it's a squad of championship players bar one or two and the position in the table reflects that. 

For me Howe is trying to play a style of football that's incompatible with the players at his disposal. We've scraped previous seasons because we have played so defensively and it worked to a point until our luck ran out.

I like Howe though, I think with the right players he could be very good. It's just I'm not seeing where the wins are going to come from personally. 

Wow, 24 hours ago and Howe was god like.  One performance later and people start to question his philosophy and approach.   Tough Crowd.  I wasn't expecting a win today and I expect none in the next 3.   If I was Howe, I would go with

Dubs

Manquillo, Shar, Lascelles, Ferdandez, Lewis

Fraser, Hayden, Shelvey, Joelinton

Wilson,

I would also have Gayle start a game and rest Wilson 

Willock, St Max brought on as subs if we are drawing or need to get a goal back.

Problem Howe has is Lascelles is crap but is also the captain.  Would be a brave man to drop the captain so soon but if he does then go back to back 4.

Edited by Awaymag

Honestly, give the bloke time. Anyone saying he's shite or brilliant has no real idea. 

He's had less than a half a dozen games and no transfer window. If we're feeling this way come April I'll start to agree.

1 hour ago, 1892er said:

I personally think it's a squad of championship players bar one or two and the position in the table reflects that. 

For me Howe is trying to play a style of football that's incompatible with the players at his disposal. We've scraped previous seasons because we have played so defensively and it worked to a point until our luck ran out.

I like Howe though, I think with the right players he could be very good. It's just I'm not seeing where the wins are going to come from personally. 

This is a very fair appraisal. Absolutely spot on regarding the style of football and the shit he's trying to implement it with. He's getting players to try and play higher up the pitch (although I can't say I've seen much of this) who have essentially been told to camp outside their 18 yard box for 2 years.

Edited by toon25

With what we have I would love Howe to try to go for a 4-3-2-1. If we keep on using ASM on the left, stick Joelinton on the left mid to help out with his defensive incapability and we will also have the pleasure of being able to overload the opponents midfield rather than having Shelvey and Willock try to run any midfield, cause that is just not a match that is working at all.

7 minutes ago, worthy said:

With what we have I would love Howe to try to go for a 4-3-2-1. If we keep on using ASM on the left, stick Joelinton on the left mid to help out with his defensive incapability and we will also have the pleasure of being able to overload the opponents midfield rather than having Shelvey and Willock try to run any midfield, cause that is just not a match that is working at all.

4-3-2-1, just in time for Christmas :)

The football played with Bruce was terrible and so defensive it was laughable so can understand why Howe has gone with a more attacking midfield but our defence is so poor the opposition doesn't even need to play that well to score. He has a near impossible task. We desperately need a ball winner in there that can also play football, missing a winger on the right and another striker. Think we will perform much better at home but away this squad will give in to easy as soon as anything goes against us.

Dubs

Schar        Fede  
Manq                               Lewis

Hayden

Shelvey

Big Joe                          Maxi

Almiron

Wilson

Edited by Tomato Deuce

4 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Dubs

Schar        Fede