Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

39 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

"We controlled the game. The only thing that was missing in the first half was a goal, and being really clinical in the final third, but that was missing for the entire game for us today.

I thought we got into some good positions but the normal rhythm wasn't there, for whatever reason. The second half was a big disappointment.

The red card gave us a big advantage and we didn't capitalise on that. I thought tactically, we didn't deliver the plan we should have done at that moment.

The game was there for us but we made some poor decisions with the ball by our high standards.

You're always liable to counter-attacks and moments that can still cost you the game. You have to be very alert and we weren't. We made a bad mistake for the goal and it cost us."

Fair assessment.

So nice to have a manager who isn't a total bullshit artist. You know he'll be fucking fuming n all. 

Not going to be too critical of him. He’s improved us hugely.

Not identifying the need to remedy the problems up front is a black mark however. He must see that now, even from the games we were winning. No excuse for not making that our top priority in the summer. 

5 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Not identifying the need to remedy the problems up front is a black mark however. He must see that now, even from the games we were winning. No excuse for not making that our top priority in the summer. 

He's said a fair bit he doesn't want to play how we are currently tbf to him. I think it's just needs must to keep us up. Assuming we do, next season is everything for him. You'd imagine the pressure will be on from all quarters too. 

Think we just ran out of a bit steam tonight and didn't play the occasion.

3 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

You could argue it's the only place that we didn't strengthen in January. We just desperately needed a body to be ready for what was a huge game against Watford to play up front and went for Wood. He'll talk him up in the press as a manager would but you'd think he knows we have to be getting better for next season.

1 minute ago, Disco said:

He's said a fair bit he doesn't want to play how we are currently tbf to him. I think it's just needs must to keep us up. Assuming we do, next season is everything for him. You'd imagine the pressure will be on from all quarters too. 

Had exactly the same mentality at Bournemouth when keeping them up from going down from League 2.

1 hour ago, Ronaldo said:

Genuine question; what would the solution to that look like?

I was happy with Wood as a short-term solution (a body up front basically) and when I look at the market I see no better options.

They tried to get a striker. Ekitike didn’t want to come, Man U wouldn’t release Lingard. They went for Wood because they needed someone and knew that activating his release clause would get him. 

It was needs must and they had finite time and manpower to get everything they wanted done in that window. 

Wood is not the answer medium or long term and I’m sure they’ll be getting someone better in in the summer. 

Howe has been playing so far based on the tools that he currently has. He seems to like possession-type attacking football, but our current team does not have the tools to play anything like that, hence you see how we relied heavily on crossing. The vast majority of our goals since December has been from set pieces. We just don’t have the players to score in different ways. 

Let’s look at the 2009-2012 Barca team as the prime example of a possession-type football. You have a trio midfielders who can pass the ball around all day with their eyes closed (Xavi, Iniesta, and Busquets). All what matters here is passing, vision, off the ball movement, positioning, decision making, first touch, and dribbling. You can never play a high possession football if your trio midfielders lack any of those. Unfortunately, Willock and Joelinton don’t offer those skills. They are good at offering physicality in midfield, but that is not near enough to be competitive in modern football. They might be good enough if you want to be a mid table team, but we want more. Actually, the Barca trio lacked the physical presence, but that didn’t matter since they were superb technically. Pep had to drop Mascherani from DM even though he was a beast when it comes to physical prowess, but he lacked the technical skills that are needed from a DM to play the way Pep envisioned. Bruno is the only one who offer that (don’t mean he is on the same level as Barca’s trio of course). We must sign two more world class midfielders who are technically gifted to achieve our ambitions of reaching top 4. 

Now, midfield alone won’t give you that high level of possession, Barca had a false nine who is an all-time great with legendary dribbling, first touch, passing, and vision. We don’t need a false nine of that level of course, but the point is our main striker should have the technical skills to receive the ball under stress, pass it to others, open spaces, and of course score goals. We are stuck with Wood who can pretty much offer nothing other than headers. Getting a proper striker who can add to play buildup is our first priority next summer. 

As for wingers, Fraser is very hardworking, but again, he is not technically gifted to be a top 4 level. Dribbling, decision making, crossing, off the ball movement, and first touch are a must here. I am not even sure about ASM. He is an amazing dribbler, but man he lacks the brain to be that productive. There is a reason why never gets called for the national team, and I don’t see him as a starter in Man City or Liverpool (our future competitors). He can still start for a few more seasons, then we should replace him. 

then comes the defenders, a central defender who can pass forward is very integral to play possession-type football. Botman should join in summer. Burn is good for a season or two before we can upgrade. That’s perfect as he will be in his thirties by then. 

The board has made their goals clear to Howe, we should reach top 6 in 2 seasons, top 4 in 3-4 seasons, and win the league in 10. With Howe and the amount of cash we can pour in, we might do it sooner. But one thing for sure is that Bruno and Trippier are the only ones who will still be starting 3 -4 seasons from now, but Trippier will be too old by then. 

Edited by Solitude20

The objective for Howe was to keep us up, which when he was appointed we know going to take some effort and even after the Watford game most of us thought we were done for.

The run we went on was amazing but I don't think the objective changes, yes the higher the finish the better but staying in the league was the priority and if we do that then it's a bloody job well done.

He was mostly backed in January and he has so far done his part. If he keeps us up then it's back to the owners to do their part and back him. If the plan is to really kick on then Wood can't be starting for us next season and our options on the wing need to be improved. 

10 hours ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Reckon he's going to come back with some cracking sunburn with that fair complexion. Already looks like it's setting in :lol:

276239356_7588080027868844_7540617810069

Eddie on his return to Benton...

6392b082-4b04-11ea-befc-ef9687daaa85_ima

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 54 said:

His dismissal of the outing and generally shit attitude towards it has a direct correlation to the fact that no one knows who the fuck he is.

Aversion to graft, lofty sense of self importance, refusal to take on board the bigger picture. 

I despise people like this.  

13 minutes ago, Comegetasample said:

His dismissal of the outing and generally shit attitude towards it has a direct correlation to the fact that no one knows who the fuck he is.

Aversion to graft, lofty sense of self importance, refusal to take on board the bigger picture. 

Exactly what I thought. Utter no-mark. 

Edited by LV

23 minutes ago, Comegetasample said:

Just sounds like a standard pro and wasn't expecting to be rounding sheep up and the fact that he's regailinh the tale as a laugh later means the bonding may have worked. Like when you mona about going to a shit pub with your mates and still have a good laugh.

25 minutes ago, Comegetasample said:

Would've been a fairly funny story if it was just the last 30 or so seconds.

Unfortunately he had to divulge a little bit too much about his own shit personality first. 

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

He sounds like a proper nob, him. 

Did notice Tindal saying "imagine it like you're herding a sheep into a pen" on that mic'd up video mind. So it's probably true. :lol:

:lol: good spot :thup: