Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, 54 said:

Yeap, how did you pull that out your ass? I'd completely forgot he even was at Palace :lol: 

:lol: Because I was checking a couple weeks ago if a manager has ever won manager of the season that wasn't at his club for the whole season.

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

:lol: Because I was checking a couple weeks ago if a manager has ever won manager of the season that wasn't at his club for the whole season.

Ahhh that makes sense, it does seem a bit mental that only 4 managers have been given MOTY that didn't win the league in the Premier League era.

12 minutes ago, 54 said:

Ahhh that makes sense, it does seem a bit mental that only 4 managers have been given MOTY that didn't win the league in the Premier League era.

Who were the others? Pulis, Pardew.. Burley? Can't for the life of me think of another. Going to take a random punt at Allardyce in his Bolton glory days.

Just now, wormy said:

Who were the others? Pulis, Pardew.. Burley? Can't for the life of me think of another. Going to take a random punt at Allardyce in his Bolton glory days.

2013-14: Tony Pulis for Palace

2011-12: Alan Pardew for Newcastle

2009-10: Harry Redknapp for Spurs

2000-01: George Burley for Ipswich

46 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Hard me to see a manager of the year in Pep or Klopp - with the talent at their disposal they aren't doing anything extra special. 

If Klopp gets the quadruple it’s pretty extra special mind. 

1 hour ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Has there been any chatter or press about how much of an astonishing job this bloke has done outside of the north east press pack?

I feel like I've seen nothing even on soccer Saturday etc... that's really had much to say about him and the work he's done.

The only time I can remember a team at the bottom going on an extended run of CL level form is Leicester under Pearson in the season before they won the league. They finished that year with 22 points in the last ten games. We've just gone P19 W10 D3 L6 for 33 points, equal with Chelsea under Tuchel, one point fewer than Arsenal, and two fewer than Spurs under Conte. They are all CL contenders, so our form must be CL level form over what is now half a season. We'll get some attention next week, but only because we're playing Liverpool and City and may throw a spanner in the title race.

While it would be nice to see Howe getting more credit, it is also beneficial to fly under the radar and keep the expectations and pressure low. Our people did a good enough job to sign Tripper and Bruno when we were staring at relegation, and it's tempting to think that any player who wouldn't join us now due to insufficient media recognition of Howe's ability probably hasn't got the right mentality anyway.

2 hours ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Has there been any chatter or press about how much of an astonishing job this bloke has done outside of the north east press pack?

I feel like I've seen nothing even on soccer Saturday etc... that's really had much to say about him and the work he's done.

I get the feeling a lot of his good work gets brushed over because there's this conception that he bought his way out of trouble by spending £100m in the transfer market in January. Obviously it ignores that we lost our two best players since then, but that's not of any interest to those who don't want to know.

Shelvey on Howe/club:

"Everyone at the club is pulling in the one direction - the camaraderie around the place is something I’ve not seen before.”

“I’ve never had a manager like this before. The first thing he did was hand everyone a sheet of paper to write down their wives’ & kids’ names, plus all our birthdays."

"He wants to know everything about everyone. I’m glad I’m his cup of tea & want to do everything to repay him.”

"But at Newcastle the ones not playing are in training the next day while the others recover - they’re probably fitter than those who have played the previous day.”

God damn I love being a Newcastle fan again, and Howe is a huge part of that. I hope Wor Flags honor the fuck out of him at the final home game of the season.

5 hours ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

Athletic football podcast on Monday was saying he should be in the discussion for MOTY.

15 minutes ago, Disco said:

Athletic football podcast on Monday was saying he should be in the discussion for MOTY.

Should be easy pick, what he has done for us is incredible. Statistically we were in place which nobody else has survived before and we are now 11th one point off 9th.

I wanted to bring to statistics back because when it comes to previous years and all the history, we were in horrible place half way to this season (which nobody has survived before). Obviously this season is bit different (which was pointed to me earlier with respect), but still. This is HUGE. Massive.

It’s almost impossible to believe we are still playing the same season we started with Bruce and Ashley. Absolutely mind-blowing!

Edited by Elephant

8 hours ago, LFEE said:

Who was your first choice out of interest? I can’t recall who you said at the time.

Gerrard. After a good start, things seem to have gone right off the rails at Villa, but it's a bit early to judge. He seemed to have determination, and might also have been able to attract players to sign for us.

I also thought Martinez, with his connections with the Continent and his Premiership experience would be a good choice too. 

Thinking back, I also wasn't sure that Howe, with his style of attacking football, would be able to get our squad to perform the way he wanted. I thought our defensive football, dull as it was, was the best way of getting points with the players we had. But not only has Howe got us more points, we're actually a lot easier on the eye. He's got us playing in, and believing in, a more positive style.

He's made some ballsy decisions like dropping Lascelles, sticking Joelinton in a midfield 3, and keeping faith with Willock when the pressure to stick the £40m man in as soon as possible would be huge. 

I wouldn't swap our man for anyone, and I mean anyone.

2 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Gerrard. After a good start, things seem to have gone right off the rails at Villa, but it's a bit early to judge. He seemed to have determination, and might also have been able to attract players to sign for us.

I also thought Martinez, with his connections with the Continent and his Premiership experience would be a good choice too. 

Thinking back, I also wasn't sure that Howe, with his style of attacking football, would be able to get our squad to perform the way he wanted. I thought our defensive football, dull as it was, was the best way of getting points with the players we had. But not only has Howe got us more points, we're actually a lot easier on the eye. He's got us playing in, and believing in, a more positive style.

He's made some ballsy decisions like dropping Lascelles, sticking Joelinton in a midfield 3, and keeping faith with Willock when the pressure to stick the £40m man in as soon as possible would be huge. 

I wouldn't swap our man for anyone, and I mean anyone.

I wanted Howe from day 1.  So pleased we got him and dodged the Unai Emery bullet.

2 minutes ago, Rod said:

I wanted Howe from day 1.  So pleased we got him and dodged the Unai Emery bullet.

I was keener on Emery at the time, and I think he could have done a decent job, but I felt he showed a lack of decisiveness when he stumbled at the final hurdle. Howe grabbed it with both hands, and by doing so showed he was the one with the balls for a job like this.

I had a slight moment of uncertainty after Cambridge but by and large you could see the improvements being made in almost every other game around that time, and hence my confidence we'd stay up all along.

Every single one of the signings have been massive for us (That's right, Wood included) and his management of all of the players but particularly Bruno, Shelvey, Joelinton, Maximin and Miggy has been top drawer.

A good man manager. A humble, eager to learn manager. A manager who values the team, not just on the pitch but in the dressing room, and who gets the fans.

Love it me.