Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

2 hours ago, geordie_b said:

Well then… does Eddie reject it out of hand, ask to speak to FA, accept the position?

Stop even mentioning this complete fantasy narrative that the British press has influenced you to believe might even be a remote possibility. 

There's maybe an argument that Potter would be smart to make the leap now if he doesn't like the way things at Chelsea are smelling. Him getting drummed out in the next 12 months plus a bit of bad luck could kill his career.

10 hours ago, cubaricho said:

Stop even mentioning this complete fantasy narrative that the British press has influenced you to believe might even be a remote possibility. 

I don't think it's fantasy, quite the opposite, if Southgate doesn't stay on I have little doubt that Eddie would be offered the job. He's currently the most highly rated English manager and the main strengths he has shown in his coaching are in the areas England has been most deficient, I can't see any reason why he wouldn't be the FA's first choice.

I don't think it would be what he wants right now in his career but I think there's an outside chance that he might see it as his duty to take the job.

Edited by Jackie Broon

29 minutes ago, RS said:

Without doubt an Eddie Howe coached England team would have beaten France with a high press tactic.  He pisses on Southgate technically. 

Yep.  Potter likewise.

But not only do I think neither man would take it, it would be a poor move from the FA to offer it.  English managers have won very little over the last few decades - both men represent an opportunity to fix that. 

International management has no pull anymore. It's where previously good managers who can't cut it anymore go to die or young coaches/U21 managers already within the national team set up gets promoted to make a name for themselves. If Southgate actually was any decent he'd jump onto the first high profile job offered to him.

1 hour ago, RS said:

Without doubt an Eddie Howe coached England team would have beaten France with a high press tactic.  He pisses on Southgate technically. 

The pressing as a team takes months of training to coach. Eddie wouldn't be optimal as an international manager. It's not just about his training either. He is so detailed, he wouldn't be able to get what he wanted across. I can see him doing it in maybe 10-15 years. He'll have a lot more goals before that and if he took it now and failed that would be his career done.

9 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

I don't think it's fantasy, quite the opposite, if Southgate doesn't stay on I have little doubt that Eddie would be offered the job. He's currently the most highly rated English manager and the main strengths he has shown in his coaching are in the areas England has been most deficient, I can't see any reason why he wouldn't be the FA's first choice.

I don't think it would be what he wants right now in his career but I think there's an outside chance that he might see it as his duty to take the job.

There is zero chance of Howe taking the England job.

Eddie Howe: "Thanks for the offer but I'm 100% fully committed to winning the League Cup, FA Cup, Premier League, and Champions League with Newcastle United. Maybe, just maybe, I'll then consider it..."

3 minutes ago, dorty said:

Eddie Howe: "Thanks for the offer but I'm 100% fully committed to winning the League Cup, FA Cup, Premier League, and Champions League with Newcastle United. Maybe, just maybe, I'll then consider it..."

Don't forget the World Club Cup and Charity Shield.

Wouldn't mind a couple more Diriyah Season Cup wins, too. Maybe another cheeky Teresa Herrera trophy for old times sake.

15 minutes ago, Wandy said:

There is zero chance of Howe taking the England job.

Very unlikely yes, but not zero chance. I think the only thing that would make him take the job, if it becomes avaliable, is if he feels he has a patriotic duty to take it. I don't think there's zero chance of him thinking that.

I’m pretty sure it was the high performance podcast? Or something similar where he basically said he’s focused on our project and he’s got so much to do with club management over international right now.