Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

10 hours ago, RS said:

Howe is the next super manager, the next Alex Ferguson. Pretty bloody obvious to me:  he’s pulled a mediocre team (excl Bruno) from relegation favourites to top 10 potential in the blink of an eye. 
100% the long term man. 

:thup:

Plus what he did at Bournemouth shows this is not a fluke

The only threat is the England job. Otherwise I don't see him going anywhere at all, especially if the owners prove to him this summer that their ambitious vision isn't just hot air. Imagine being the manager to take Newcastle back to the very top, and seeing what you can do if properly backed in the transfer market. It's much more exciting than being airdropped into an established "big" side.

Our owners seem to like him and trust him too, he's a modern young manager, highly professional and speaks well and looks good for the organisation on the whole. They could not have been more lucky to end up with Eddie Howe.

I can't see him taking the England job honestly, not in the near future. He looks like he loves football too much to only be managing a few games every couple of months.

Edited by mikejaxer

We’ve always been a club that looks out for its own.

By basically rescuing us from certain relegation and then some, Eddie is one of us now.

so unless things go really bad again, which they won’t, he at least gets to see out his contract here, and I’d be unhappy with the owners for anything less

26 minutes ago, James said:

By basically rescuing us from certain relegation and then some, Eddie is one of us now.

so unless things go really bad again, which they won’t, he at least gets to see out his contract here, and I’d be unhappy with the owners for anything less

I don't think we did right by Sir Bob, and that's always rankled. Took us from the bottom of the league to three top-five finishes, and then got the boot.

Guest HTT II
3 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I don't think we did right by Sir Bob, and that's always rankled. Took us from the bottom of the league to three top-five finishes, and then got the boot.

It was a disgrace the way FS handled it all he should have been moved upstairs, not sacked! I’ll never forget SSN live reporting him leaving the training ground and he was visibly shaken and welling up, but they kept prodding him and he as always had the grace to thank them and that he wished his club all the best going forward.

1 hour ago, James said:

Absolutely this.

Talk about replacing Wor Ed already...

Get fucked. :lol:

Yeah that’s crap like but he shouldn’t be untouchable. What happens if we spend £200m the next two years and are only in that 8th-10th bracket at the end of it? I don’t think that’ll be the case like, I think he’ll take us within the top 6 by the end of his time here.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Yeah that’s crap like but he shouldn’t be untouchable. What happens if we spend £200m the next two years and are only in that 8th-10th bracket at the end of it? I don’t think that’ll be the case like, I think he’ll take us within the top 6 by the end of his time here.

Tbf £100m per year isn’t enough to break into the top 6 imo. 

Guest HTT II
29 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Tbf £100m per year isn’t enough to break into the top 6 imo. 

Again, the gap from where we are now to the top 6 is not that huge. Good coaching alone can bridge some of the gaps as we are showing (on form alone). The Premier League is quite average between most teams, WHU are the best of the rest one season, Leciester the next, or a Villa or an NUFC. Spurs, Man Utd and Arsenal are all interchangeable and usually get there in the end because the rest don’t have the squad or lose/draw too many games against each other. It’s about consistency of form. Invest in quality to give us a real spine to the team and we can be next season’s WHU or even Arsenal who are nothing special. Even Chelsea are beatable. The top two are on another level and in another league, but the rest? 

2 hours ago, James said:

:lol: 

Edited by The Prophet

No club looks out for their own, especially now in the era of business is everything. I expect Eddie to be here for years and I’ll be supporting him even if things go to shit for a while. Just look at his historical record and how he conducts himself

33 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Again, the gap from where we are now to the top 6 is not that huge. Good coaching alone can bridge some of the gaps as we are showing (on form alone). The Premier League is quite average between most teams, WHU are the best of the rest one season, Leciester the next, or a Villa or an NUFC. Spurs, Man Utd and Arsenal are all interchangeable and usually get there in the end because the rest don’t have the squad or lose/draw too many games against each other. It’s about consistency of form. Invest in quality to give us a real spine to the team and we can be next season’s WHU or even Arsenal who are nothing special. Even Chelsea are beatable. The top two are on another level and in another league, but the rest? 

Running football clubs isn't easy. If the top 6 get it right, it's hard to break it up.

Spurs have 2 undoubted world class players and a genuinely world class manager. Arsenal are a big draw, usually get European football. Manchester United getting it terribly wrong is finishing 8th.

You are underestimating the likes of Arsenal. You have to be a very good team to finish above Arsenal 2-3 seasons in a row. Fully fit combined first XI, 8 or 9 of theirs gets in ahead of ours. We are 4-5 away from competing with them and they're likely to get a proper striker in the summer too. They'll be after the same calibre of player we are, as a bigger club, with European football and memorable CL heritage.

Guest HTT II
4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Running football clubs isn't easy. If the top 6 get it right, it's hard to break it up.

Spurs have 2 undoubted world class players and a genuinely world class manager. Arsenal are a big draw, usually get European football. Manchester United getting it terribly wrong is finishing 8th.

You are underestimating the likes of Arsenal. You have to be a very good team to finish above Arsenal 2-3 seasons in a row. Fully fit combined first XI, 8 or 9 of theirs gets in ahead of ours. We are 4-5 away from competing with them and they're likely to get a proper striker in the summer too. They'll be after the same calibre of player we are, as a bigger club, with European football and memorable CL heritage.

The fact Spurs have two world-class players and a word-class manager and yet are still massively inconsistent where they can lose to someone way below them proves the gap isn’t that big, again it’s about consistency of form, which none of the league really possess other than the top two so if someone can manage some consistency they will invariably do very well. We can be that team with added quality. I expect us to spend 150m + in the summer and to look at a top 6 finish. WHU are 7th, and in with a smal chance of 4th, are they that much better than us? Are Arsenal, Leciester? We are 9th after a terrible start and mainly that’s down to coaching and again how inconsistent and average the league really is. 

33 minutes ago, HTT II said:

The fact Spurs have two world-class players and a word-class manager and yet are still massively inconsistent where they can lose to someone way below them proves the gap isn’t that big, again it’s about consistency of form, which none of the league really possess other than the top two so if someone can manage some consistency they will invariably do very well. We can be that team with added quality. I expect us to spend 150m + in the summer and to look at a top 6 finish. WHU are 7th, and in with a smal chance of 4th, are they that much better than us? Are Arsenal, Leciester? We are 9th after a terrible start and mainly that’s down to coaching and again how inconsistent and average the league really is. 

Yes, yes they are. 6-9 of theirs walk into our first team. West Ham are a smart £150m away from really being a top 4 side.

I agree that we spend £150m+ (including Jan) and should be targeting that. IMO The next 2 years we spend closer to £300m (FFP permitting).

But it's hard. Villa lost their best player but also spent £150m and are 14th.

Ideally we'd hover in the 6-8th places for a couple of seasons, getting a taste of Europa or Conference League football as the squad takes shape. As others have pointed out, there's a raft of teams who can finish between 7th-14th every season, the margins are quite slim and we've seen teams like Wolves, Southampton, Villa, Leicester, Everton (lol) all float around these positions for what seems like decades. West Ham are the current best of the rest but you suspect it's not a sustainable prospect, same with Wolves.

The aim should be to win every game and the league. The realistic goal should be top 8 with a view to Europe by 2024. But it's dependent on what investment we do get, I don't envisage a complete squad overhaul, and if we're hovering around 9th-12th come 2023, it's not the end of the world, unless we start losing players like Bruno because of it...

Edited by dabe

19 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Yes, yes they are. 6-9 of theirs walk into our first team. West Ham are a smart £150m away from really being a top 4 side.

I agree that we spend £150m+ (including Jan) and should be targeting that. IMO The next 2 years we spend closer to £300m (FFP permitting).

Definitely not 9, which of their players would you say walk into our first team out of curiosity?

I would say Rice, Bowen, Antonio(over Wood but not Wilson) maybe soucek too but we Howe wouldn't play Rice and Soucek behind Bruno anyway.

Guest HTT II
36 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You’re talking top 4, I’m talking top 6 and I do rate WHU under Moyes and several of their players, but again if we sign top quality to add a quality spine to our team, we are on their level which we are not far off now. I’d fancy us to beat them at home for example and we did draw with them away…

Villa’s recruitment seems scattergun approach and they are 14th because they haven’t had a settled side with good coaching all season. Dean Smith did a great job there, but once Grealish left they struggled and I’m not sure Gerrard is the answer either. I honestly think give Howe that team and they’d be up there with WHU. 

What I’m saying basically is say we spend 150m on the right players, under Howe, any gap between us and the top 6 right now will be more than doable to close. 

10 minutes ago, Joey47 said:

Definitely not 9, which of their players would you say walk into our first team out of curiosity?

I would say Rice, Bowen, Antonio(over Wood but not Wilson) maybe soucek too but we Howe wouldn't play Rice and Soucek behind Bruno anyway.

Fabianski 

TRIPPIER Zouma Ogbonna Cresswell

Rice BRUNO Soucek

Bowen Antonio ASM

Antonio

Fornals, Lanzini and Benrahma  unfortunate to miss out.  

I don’t think there’s massive differences. They’ve got a very good midfield that can play, defend and be cute. Some creative players. Some genuine class at the back with Zouma too. Moyes has them together and working v. hard. The players that have come in because of injury have really stepped up too (Dawson, Johnson etc.)

6 minutes ago, HTT II said:

You’re talking top 4, I’m talking top 6 and I do rate WHU under Moyes and several of their players, but again if we sign top quality to add a quality spine to our team, we are on their level which we are not far off now. I’d fancy us to beat them at home for example and we did draw with them away…

Villa’s recruitment seems scattergun approach and they are 14th because they haven’t had a settled side with good coaching all season. Dean Smith did a great job there, but once Grealish left they struggled and I’m not sure Gerrard is the answer either. I honestly think give Howe that team and they’d be up there with WHU. 

What I’m saying basically is say we spend 150m on the right players, under Howe, any gap between us and the top 6 right now will be more than doable to close. 

Broadly I agree with this.  

Guest HTT II
8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Fabianski 

Rice BRUNO Soucek

Bowen Antonio ASM

Antonio

I don’t think there’s massive differences. They’ve got a very good midfield that can play, defend and be cute. Some creative players. Some genuine class at the back with Zouma too. Moyes has them together and working v. hard. The players that have come in because of injury have really stepped up too (Dawson, Johnson etc.)

They should be in the short term a template for us to follow, they have a few very very good players and players who are above average but not great and Moyes has built that team to play to its strengths with a fantastic spirit and work ethic. But you’re right, for them to become a regular top 4 side, will require regular massive money and that isn’t going to happen. There is no reason why they can’t maintain a top 6 type of position every season if they invest wisely, however. Moyes is a shrewd recruiter of players and if they sell Rice, the money could be used to actually strengthen the overall team in a few areas. We on the other hand should we become a top six side, will have the money to kick on further. We just need to get there first and again, I don’t think we are too far away nor any team around us who have a good manager, recruit well and have good coaching. 

Edited by HTT II

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Fabianski 

Rice BRUNO Soucek

Bowen Antonio ASM

Antonio

That's just about fair, although I'd argue some of those picks don't walk into our team. 

I think at the end of the day they have had really good timing and Moyes is getting the most out of that squad while players such as Rice and Bowen have had amazing seasons.

The squads themselves are really not too far apart in quality and I do think we should be competing with West Ham next year. 

The target should simply be to improve, but you need about 60 points to be in the running for the European places these days. That doesn't seem insurmountable at all providing we recruit well and we keep riding this wave of optimism.