Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

23 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I'd happily take a handful of signings in the Bruno G mould and price range +/- 

Agree.  Whilst we might have the money, I do not think we should smash it all this summer. We have to be careful and not be an Everton.  4-5 players who would get in the first team will be enough for the summer.  We need to keep to spirt we now have and anymore might disrupt that.

2 hours ago, Manxst said:

PL FFP hasn't changed in any way that would affect that, and they've set a precedent of very light touch enforcement with Everton.

UEFA FFP has changed but that should allow us to spend more than it previously would have.

Pulling an Everton or Man United doesn't always happen when you spend a ton of money - you need to look at the type characters and culture they promote at those respective clubs. 

5 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Pulling an Everton or Man United doesn't always happen when you spend a ton of money - you need to look at the type characters and culture they promote at those respective clubs. 

And we've got that part spot on with our signings so far.

Edited by Jackie Broon

Spending wisely is going to be far better than spending big. Lashing out £400m+ in the next 4 windows means little if you spaff most of it on players who don't fit the plan but spending £200m+ carefully selected players is the way to move us forward. Good characters who have the ambition and drive to improve, never going to tick every box every time and we'll sign a few duds too, but we need consistent and sustained investment. I'm pretty confident it'll happen too :)   

If it wasn't for the fact we haven't really got the whole sporting director structure in place, I could definitely see us having a mini splurge on kids - with a view to them coming into our team in a couple of years rather than now. A bit like Dalglish did, in fairness to him, after Keegan had abolished the reserves.

In addition to main squad additions, that is.

On 09/05/2022 at 15:08, Tiresias said:

If we go on a big splurge and buy a bunch of very expensive players at once a la man united and they don't click into a brilliant squad (a la man united) you end up with a bunch of players who you can't shift because noone wants to pay what you paid for them stinking up the dressing room for ages, and even when you may be able to accept a moderate loss in terms of selling on you find noone will match their wages.

We already have a similar issue, albeit on a smaller scale. Very few of the players we want to move on will want to go down a league or wage, and few clubs if any will want to spend a fee to get them.

Of those 4, Guardiola, no unfortunately just winning the league (assuming he does) is not really quite good enough when you;re at City to get you manager of year. If Klopp still wins the 'quadruple' obviously, but he won't and could still lose the champions league and the league and then winning 1 or 2 cups is good but kinda expected much like Guardiola. Still if he only lost league wouldn't think it would be a terrible decision. 

Moyes I think would be a fine pick as he is doing a very good job, although looks like they fall just short of hopes of top 6 finish (or even higher at points). Could pip Man U to 6th though and though got knocked out was a good run in Europa league and if so wouldn't hate.

Howe has done a great job would be a fine pick but I doubt he will get it. Partly because I think a lot don't quite appreciate how bad we were before he joined.

26 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Of those 4, Guardiola, no unfortunately just winning the league (assuming he does) is not really quite good enough when you;re at City to get you manager of year. If Klopp still wins the 'quadruple' obviously, but he won't and could still lose the champions league and the league and then winning 1 or 2 cups is good but kinda expected much like Guardiola. Still if he only lost league wouldn't think it would be a terrible decision. 

Moyes I think would be a fine pick as he is doing a very good job, although looks like they fall just short of hopes of top 6 finish (or even higher at points). Could pip Man U to 6th though and though got knocked out was a good run in Europa league and if so wouldn't hate.

Howe has done a great job would be a fine pick but I doubt he will get it. Partly because I think a lot don't quite appreciate how bad we were before he joined.

Unless there's other awards, I think it's just based on their Premier League results, although maybe subconsciously, if something was very tight, external competitions could provide a little weight.

Just looking over the years, Pardew won it here after the 5th place finish, Redknapp won it after guiding Spurs to 4th, Burley for taking Ipswich to 5th, but most relevant to Howe, Pulis won it at Palace in 2014. There were definitely comparisons between the two, Pulis, like Howe, came in after 11 games when they were on 4 points (Howe 5 from 11), they were 20th, Newcastle 19th, Pulis ended the season in 11th with 45 points, which will be similar to Howe, if we can one of the last 2 games, but two things in Pulis' favour were that they were a newly promoted club, and I guess the '100 odd million' narrative will be out in full force as well, even though a lot of the teams we have beaten recently arguably still have a better squad / team, even with that outlay.

I don't think he will, or should, win it, but it's good that he at least appears to be in the conversation / picture, although if we were to end the season in 14th / 15th on the back of 4 straight defeats, that would take a little bit of the gloss off the incredible job he has done.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

I think it's Frank.

Start of the season a good season for Brentford is 17th, most would've expected 18th-20th. They'll finish higher than that certainly.

Otherwise aye it's Moyes or whoever wins the league.

Aye, Frank has to be in the conversation.

Just now, Paullow said:

Unless there's other awards, I think it's just based on their Premier League results, although maybe subconsciously, if something was very tight, external competitions could provide a little weight.

Just looking over the years, Pardew won it here after the 5th place finish, Redknapp won it after guiding Spurs to 4th, Burley for taking Ipswich to 5th, but most relevant to Howe, Pulis won it at Palace in 2014. There were definitely comparisons between the two, Pulis, like Howe, came in after 11 games when they were on 4 points (Howe 5 from 11), they were 20th, Newcastle 19th, Pulis ended the season in 11th with 45 points, which will be similar to Howe, if we can one of the last 2 games, but two things in Pulis' favour were that they were a newly promoted club, and I guess the '100 odd million' narrative will be out in full force as well, even though a lot of the teams we have beaten recently arguably still have a better squad / team, even with that outlay.

I don't think he will, or should, win it, but it's good that he at least appears to be in the conversation / picture, although if we were to end the season in 14th / 15th on the back of 4 straight defeats, that would take a little bit of the gloss off the incredible job he has done.

Pulis job there was more impressive tbf. Palace were also a Champo side at the time. Not even a proper yo-yo club.

We are a bigger club with higher expectations. And we spent a lot of money on players that won us points. Trippier, Bruno & Wood all have match winning goals. Best part of £80m there.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think it's Frank.

Start of the season a good season for Brentford is 17th, most would've expected 18th-20th. They'll finish higher than that certainly.

Otherwise aye it's Moyes or whoever wins the league.

Thought you meant Lampard at first, ha, but aye, definitely in the conversation. They were the 11/10 3rd favourites to go down at the start of the season, and bar a little nervy period after the turn of the year, they have largely had a great season, and to finish in and around 12th in their first ever season in the PL would be some achievement.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Pulis job there was more impressive tbf. Palace were also a Champo side at the time. Not even a proper yo-yo club.

We are a bigger club with higher expectations. And we spent a lot of money on players that won us points. Trippier, Bruno & Wood all have match winning goals. Best part of £80m there.

Yeah, there is daylight between their respective achievements, and I don't think many will think Howe has a realistic chance of actually winning it, although it should also be considered that Trippier and Bruno have only been on the pitch together for those 22 minutes when 3-0 down vs Man City, so while both are genuine top 6 standard players, at most we've only ever had one of them at our disposal at any given time, sometimes 0 when Bruno was still finding his fight post Tripps injury, and while the other 3 are improvements on what we had (which wouldn't be difficult), they are generally bottom half standard (Targett not good enough for mid table Villa, Burn 4th choice CB for BHA when all fit, Wood an entire career of pretty much 17th in the PL or in the Championship), so Howe has still done wonders to turn it around in 2022 and have European form with only one genuine quality addition to his XI, and the other 3.

"I'm looking at players, I'm looking at the way that we play, I'm looking at everything because the season will come around in a blink of an eye and we have to be ready for what's ahead," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"The expectations will be higher. I understand that. We're going to need to be a different team when we come back for the new season. We're going to have to be much better in every area."

Love quotes like this...

10 minutes ago, 54 said:

Love quotes like this...

Compare these quotes, to what you'd expect to hear Bruce say. Such a breath of fresh air to see the club wanting to improve in every area both on and off the field.

48 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Aaah Ok should have realized. 

Guadiola and Klopp then is a straight shootout for whoever wins it, I wouldn't give it to either though just cos winning the league is where they both should be with their teams. Moyes is good shout, Thomas Frank should be good shout, and Howe good shout. Can't really think of any other manager who weren't pants for substantial parts of the season. 

2 hours ago, Tiresias said:

Plus there's the idea he threw £100m at the problem and that solved it. In reality we lost our two best players for the majority of the games and could still quite easily have been relegated if it wasn't for some very shrewd marshalling of resources.