Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Think people are underestimating the wealth and ambition of our owners, they have more wealth than every club In England combined and have a lot to spend before financial fair play comes into it. They will be wanting to be entertained by their investment I'm sure.

I also think the type of football we want to play makes it harder to get into the top 6.

Spurs did it gradually with signing young but potentially really classy players. Leicester only did it with a 20+ goalscorer and ended up with a quality squad. West Ham have got in the mix with the Moyes spirit and some genuine quality.

5 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Think people are underestimating the wealth and ambition of our owners, they have more wealth than every club In England combined and have a lot to spend before financial fair play comes into it. They will be wanting to be entertained by their investment I'm sure.

Agreed. I think our investment will warrant higher than 10th.

14 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Aye I don't think they'll be happy with 10th next season

Guest reefatoon
14 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I really want to see Ritchie, Gayle, and Clark get good send offs like. It's not their fault the good byes should have come years ago, they still played a big part in the club's history. Ritchie especially I absolutely loved, the tenacious little fucker.

I think all players leaving should really. Overall they seem a good bunch, and have all played some part down the years, no need for folks to slate them when leaving. Wish them all the best and look onwards and upwards.

54 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

It wouldn't take more than 4 quality additions at all....take Arsenals 4 best players out of their team and they would be no better than us now. 4 quality players and we are absolutely competing for top 6. Add 4 top players to most mid table teams and they would be too.

I've already given my opinion that we are currently a fair way off those 7-10/11 type clubs and 4 quality signings would properly take us into that echelon, not constantly scraping one goal wins where we are sometimes quite fortunate like vs Leicester, Villa, Brighton etc. which could easily go the other way when the feel good factor is not quite as prevalent, or very fine margins like Watkins goal where if they drew those lines a CM the other way, nobody would have batted an eyelid.

Bruno and Trippier could operate at the top 6 level, Wilson when fit just outside, ASM on a good day etc. but after that it's not great. Dubravka, Schaar, Burn, Targett, Shelvey, Willock, Fraser, Murphy, Wood, Almiron etc. are all mid table at absolute best, most of them bottom half, which is why IMO that cracking run was so unexpected, albeit perhaps not sustainable, and why Howe deserves enormous credit for changing the fortunes (I'm not really sure where Joelinton fits in longer term, he's a cult hero, and has been very good, but the jury is still out for me).

We'll never agree because you've obviously been massively optimistic in recent months, but that's what forums are for. It does look however from within the club, and recent Howe interviews, that the aim next year is to be a solid 8-10 type club (with the additions) and keep bridging the gap year on year, and if we were to actually genuinely challenge the top 6 next season then many would be very surprised, and others seemingly not so much.

Edited by Paullow

I swear I listened to a Howe interview with Geoff Shreeves last night when asked about next season the top 6 and Howe said we were miles away from those, but I can't find it now :lol:

50 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

I don't think anyone is underestimating their wealth and ambition but you may be overestimating how quick we can build under FFP.

I personally don't see us too far off Wolves and West Ham currently (saying that I'm a little surprised Wolves have had as comfortable a season as they've had). We know investment will be there and we have a more sustainable plan than West Ham because of the level of backing so we have an advantage there especially for out if contract and near end of contract players.

I'm looking at next season without having to look over our shoulders and hitting March thinking we are in with a shout of a spot in Europe 

4 minutes ago, Paullow said:

I swear I listened to a Howe interview with Geoff Shreeves last night when asked about next season the top 6 and Howe said we were miles away from those, but I can't find it now :lol:

He's always going to say that though isn't he, he's not going to put unnecessary pressure on himself or the squad. Going to your point before I think if we looked at Dubs, Trippier, Schar, New Centre half, Target. Bruno, new centre mid, joe/shelvey. Maxi, new centre forward, new right winger then we aren't far off Arsenal etc at all. Obviously this is depending on them being good additions to the standard of Bruno and Trippier.

Edited by WillingtonMag

7 minutes ago, Paullow said:

We are currently, maybe we won’t be after the summer.

1 hour ago, WillingtonMag said:

Aye, and people like Bruno aren’t going to come in and spend their peak years going from lower mid-table, to 10th to 8th, etc. He’ll have been given assurances that we’re spending and want to bother the top end of the table.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Aye, and people like Bruno aren’t going to come in and spend their peak years going from lower mid-table, to 10th to 8th, etc. He’ll have been given assurances that we’re spending and want to bother the top end of the table.

Definitely also the more players to that standard we get the easier the next one will be to convince. On another note Man United are 6th currently and they've been a laughing stock all year 😂  hardly crazy talk to be able to compete with them is it.

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Hasn’t Bruno via his agent said he was told champions league is the aim for next season ?

The Brazil international, who has had one of the biggest impacts in the club's Premier League history in terms of a new signing, was not afraid to play down his expectations when asked by ESPN Brasil in his home country on what could be possible next season. Speaking to the channel, Bruno said: "We want to get into the top six. Fight for the Europa League, maybe for the maybe the Champions League.”

"We know that it won't be overnight that you will become a top seven, you have to prove it on a daily basis, but we hope for the best. I hope we can form a great team, it will depend on the reinforcements, who will arrive, who will leave. I'm very optimistic, I hope we can fight for the Europa League, maybe Champions League."

edit- also:

His agent, Alexis Malalvolta, told Tutto sport, via Chronicle Live, that part of the club’s ambitious plans revealed to the Brazilian included a top four push - as soon as next season. He said: "He has always been very motivated to accept challenges, he never backs down. Bruno is delighted with the choice made; he feels good. 

"His goal was clear from the start: to help the team get out of the relegation zone and take them to the Champions League next season. And, why not, try to win the Premier League. He has already made it clear in his interviews that he went to Newcastle to be a legend like Alan Shearer. He wants to leave his name in the history of the club."

Edited by Manxst

2 minutes ago, Manxst said:

The Brazil international, who has had one of the biggest impacts in the club's Premier League history in terms of a new signing, was not afraid to play down his expectations when asked by ESPN Brasil in his home country on what could be possible next season. Speaking to the channel, Bruno said: "We want to get into the top six. Fight for the Europa League, maybe for the maybe the Champions League.”

"We know that it won't be overnight that you will become a top seven, you have to prove it on a daily basis, but we hope for the best. I hope we can form a great team, it will depend on the reinforcements, who will arrive, who will leave. I'm very optimistic, I hope we can fight for the Europa League, maybe Champions League."

edit- also:

His agent, Alexis Malalvolta, told Tutto sport, via Chronicle Live, that part of the club’s ambitious plans revealed to the Brazilian included a top four push - as soon as next season. He said: "He has always been very motivated to accept challenges, he never backs down. Bruno is delighted with the choice made; he feels good. 

"His goal was clear from the start: to help the team get out of the relegation zone and take them to the Champions League next season. And, why not, try to win the Premier League. He has already made it clear in his interviews that he went to Newcastle to be a legend like Alan Shearer. He wants to leave his name in the history of the club."

Clearly been promised we are serious and going for it then.

21 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

Does anyone know what the ball park top spend is with FPP? I’m sure I remember reading in the region of £800m at some point post takeover?

https://www.newcastleworld.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/the-staggering-amount-newcastle-united-can-spend-in-the-january-transfer-window-without-breaching-financial-fair-play-3515664?amp

not sure how/if FFP has changed since though? 

31 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Maguire forecasted that the Magpies’ new owners of PCP Partners, the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia and RB Sports & Media can splash £800m on transfers, spread across the next four years.

So it was £800m but as you say there have been changes proposed and not sure what difference they’ll make.

If we go on a big splurge and buy a bunch of very expensive players at once a la man united and they don't click into a brilliant squad (a la man united) you end up with a bunch of players who you can't shift because noone wants to pay what you paid for them stinking up the dressing room for ages, and even when you may be able to accept a moderate loss in terms of selling on you find noone will match their wages.

We shouldn't bring in players at massively higherwages than rest of dressing room, that needs to be done sensibly to keep team together. We are not going to be splashing 100m on anyone or anything close for a while. Once the team is competing decently (and importantly have reliable saleable assets if needed) we may well start spending big on a player or two I'd guess to a) push us into competing at the top and b) increase our marketability. 

I also fear that latter stage will be when the squad loses any likability lol