Paulo Fonseca

Fantail Breeze

FWIW from what I've learned about him in these videos, I think appointing him now is massively asking for trouble.

Trying to get a team that's had Steve Bruce as its manager for the last 2 years to start playing possession football from the back without already having at least the type of players to suit that style is a huge ask for a team without the luxury of a comfortable league position to allow for patience in that approach.

Add to that his poor record when the players he needs aren't available through injury and his teams conceding a lot and it seems a very risky option.

Rafa remains far and away the ideal option that obviously isn't available, so I'd go for someone in his or Emery's mould who's available. No idea who that is though.

15 minutes ago, ElDiablo said:

Not watching these vids of him unless he's appointed. If I do then I'll get excited and we'll get Lampard. :lol:

I made an error of judgement and watched the videos. Now it’s Fonseca or not anyone else for me 

Updated article from earlier

Newcastle held talks with Paulo Fonseca today as he emerges as a serious contender for the head coach vacancy following Steve Bruce's departure. 

The discussions did not end with a definitive answer over whether Newcastle will look to proceed with appointing Fonseca, but were said to be positive. 

The call is understood to have centred around Fonseca's footballing philosophy, with little focus on any potential contract.

Edited by nbthree3

2 hours ago, Barnes23 said:

This is well worth a watch :) Really gives you a feel for his approach and breaks things down in quite a bit of detail on a tactical level too. 

Tactics :smitten:

For balance, it was only two years ago that we were  playing the ball out from  the back. Schar is an excellent ball carrier. Fernandez and Manquillo can play a bit too.

I'm more bothered about the structure if the defensive unit when play breaks down or we're under the cosh.

The formation Fonseca likes to use can certainly be risky. If he gets the job, I would expect huge investment in the defence and midfield.

We could essentially be playing with 3 at the back so we’re going to need big boots to make us formidable there. He’ll try and take Ibañez from Roma and why not Koulibaly if he can be bought? Schär could also quite easily play on the right side of a back 3.

He plays wing backs but they play really high up so maybe Murphy gets a chance there?

I’d assume the existing squad (or some of them) are going to get a chance to stake a claim.. Lascelles, Clark, Fernandez, Lewis and Manquillo will be toast though.

My guess is he’d have Schar play central in a back 3 so he could push up and attack a bit. Fede could probably play one side and he may either use Hayden, Dummett or Clark as the other until he can upgrade. (Both spots)

2 new wingbacks definitely happening too. 

33 minutes ago, Kanji said:

My guess is he’d have Schar play central in a back 3 so he could push up and attack a bit. Fede could probably play one side and he may either use Hayden, Dummett or Clark as the other until he can upgrade. (Both spots)

2 new wingbacks definitely happening too. 

Rumour has it there may be a slight increase in the transfer budget to fix that.

Looks amazing but I have the same misgiving as KI; we're really not in a position which allows us the luxury of experimenting with an aggressive possession style featuring personnel that don't appear suited to it.

I'd be happy to see it tried of course, but it'd be canny risky with our prize collection of journeymen and cloggers :lol:

Edited by OpenC

8 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Looks amazing but I have the same misgiving as KI; we're really not in a position which allows us the luxury of experimenting with an aggressive possession style featuring personnel that don't appear suited to it.

I'd be happy to see it tried of course, but it'd be canny risky with our prize collection of journeymen and cloggers :lol:

Agree, this would have been a good appointment in the summer when personnel and tactics could have been changed.

Not opposed to him as he would have been beyond our wildest dreams 2 weeks ago, however this really is a tough appointment in our position.

Is he the best fit at this moment, I’m unsure and glad they appear to be interviewing candidates.

Edited by Whitley mag

5 minutes ago, OpenC said:

It worked well on Sunday for about 7 minutes before the whole team looked totally fucked. Wasn’t the fitness coach pushed out recently.? Maybe a new setup and actually training the required number of days will make a difference. Then again maybe not.

Going to be interesting whoever comes in, just wish the takeover had happened in the Summer as we could be well adrift come the start of the transfer window. The main thing is we have to stop being in the position of having to score at least 2 goals in every game to even get a result. Have to get someone in ASAP as we need to be in shape after the next international break. A win out of the next two games would be massive (unlikely though).