Transfer rumours

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Newcastle as the centre of the NE/Northumberland is perfect in many ways, we have such a beautiful coastline, such a beautiful and diverse countryside and direct access to Scotland and we are spoiled in many ways having so much on our doorstep. The thing with London is it’s now an international City for internationals, it’s a hub for those overseas to work and live and hop in and out of from this country or that where as it used to be that for say Geordies going there to work or people from Scotland or Wales or other parts of England. Newcastle is very cosmopolitan these days if course, buts it’s not an international city and never will be, it’s very much home if that’s makes sense. London for many isn’t home, it’s work, it’s life, it’s a tube stop. I find it can be kind of cold, chaotic and borderline unnatural. 

London's a great place to visit, Newcastle's a great place to live. That's how I view it. 

A bit simplistic of course, you could live a great lifestyle in outer London. My sister lives in Kent and it's absolutely beautiful. But London proper would be better before you were married. Wouldn't want to raise a family there, just too hectic. Newcastle's great for just getting where you want to be without that much hassle. 

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

London's a great place to visit, Newcastle's a great place to live. That's how I view it. 

A bit simplistic of course, you could live a great lifestyle in outer London. My sister lives in Kent and it's absolutely beautiful. But London proper would be better before you were married. Wouldn't want to raise a family there, just too hectic. Newcastle's great for just getting where you want to be without that much hassle. 

I spent the last year living in Twickenham which was nice but not worth the ridiculous £££ a month on rent. Moved out to Oxfordshire 3 months ago and haven’t looked back. Still work 2 days a week in Canary Wharf and Shoreditch so get to do a lot of the good eating / drinking / entertainment stuff whilst getting to live in four times the space for 75% of the cost.

Lived in Gosforth and Kingston Park from 2009 to 2014, but ended up becoming too much working away all week as all the client gigs were down in London or worst still Manchester. 

Just now, Nucasol said:

I spent the last year living in Twickenham which was nice but not worth the ridiculous £££ a month on rent. Moved out to Oxfordshire 3 months ago and haven’t looked back. Still work 2 days a week in Canary Wharf and Shoreditch so get to do a lot of the good eating / drinking / entertainment stuff whilst getting to live in four times the space for 75% of the cost.

Lived in Gosforth and Kingston Park from 2009 to 2014, but ended up becoming too much working away all week as all the client gigs were down in London or worst still Manchester. 

My sister lived in Twickenham, they now live somewhere in Surrey, Twickenham is great, but so expensive. 

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

Great analogy :thup:

My wife’s uncle lives in Brixton, not been for a few years, but I loved it when visiting and I quite like Acton too, such an up and down kind of place. 

I'd like to think the club are now smart enough to sign players from two different sets of criteria.

1. Sign players who are young, who have hunger, talent and have no qualms with spending a year in the championship if necessary. But top young players who seem themselves as a level above the championship. Signings for the future who will give us a good base.

2. A few hail mary swings, mercenaries who are ready for a big juicy pay cheque. Loan signings like Coutinho etc, who will come in for six months in the hope of keeping us up. So long as we don't tie ourselves up with these players, they have to be worth the gamble.

There is a 3... players like Tarkowski, Lingard etc, who are in their prime and looking for a good move. These will be almost impossible to attract, if it looks as though we are going down. They will want long contracts and won't want to spend their best years in the championship.

Edited by STM

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Traore and ASM in the same team btw. :lol: Fucking hell. End product would be frustrating as fuck mind. But it'd be fun to watch.

Would absolutely smash the championship to pieces, which we need to have one eye on.

17 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Traore and ASM in the same team btw. :lol: Fucking hell. End product would be frustrating as fuck mind. But it'd be fun to watch.

Not sure it would tbh. The one touch passing moves would be non-existent, would be just them two getting the ball and charging head down towards the opposition with their blinkers on. 

You could argue we don't do one touch passing moves anyway, and you'd be right, but that's what Howe has to bring to the party. 

Just now, TRon said:

Not sure it would tbh. The one touch passing moves would be non-existent, would be just them two getting the ball and charging head down towards the opposition with their blinkers on. 

You could argue we don't do one touch passing moves anyway, and you'd be right, but that's what Howe has to bring to the party. 

Fair enough. It's just the pace of the two, love rapid players.

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Fair enough. It's just the pace of the two, love rapid players.

It's always a tough one to balance tbf. No one can argue that Max isn't one of our best players, but he wouldn't get beyond the bench at one of the CL clubs. The likes of Guardiola and Klopp want quick passing throughout the team, when you have one guy picking the ball up and running with it, it tends to put a block on that. 

We have a poor passing team anyway, so he's actually very important for us. For Bruce he was virtually a demi-god. I would imagine Howe will try and make him more of a team player, but I think a leopard doesn't change his spots. 

6 minutes ago, TRon said:

Heads down and charging at the opposition, straight out the 1880's playbook :lol: 

3 hours ago, Dokko said:

Birmingham is a shithole. It's like all the worst parts of the country lifted and crammed in to one place. 

Whenever I think of Birmingham I always remember that documentary about the  pub that serves some kind of gnarly cider and the patrons that chew on glass :lol:

1 minute ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Whenever I think of Birmingham I always remember that documentary about the  pub that serves some kind of gnarly cider and the patrons that chew on glass :lol:

Aye, Britain's roughest pubs. :lol: amazing series. 

57 minutes ago, STM said:

I'd like to think the club are now smart enough to sign players from two different sets of criteria.

1. Sign players who are young, who have hunger, talent and have no qualms with spending a year in the championship if necessary. But top young players who seem themselves as a level above the championship. Signings for the future who will give us a good base.

2. A few hail mary swings, mercenaries who are ready for a big juicy pay cheque. Loan signings like Coutinho etc, who will come in for six months in the hope of keeping us up. So long as we don't tie ourselves up with these players, they have to be worth the gamble.

There is a 3... players like Tarkowski, Lingard etc, who are in their prime and looking for a good move. These will be almost impossible to attract, if it looks as though we are going down. They will want long contracts and won't want to spend their best years in the championship.

Not to be completely evil, but I think there is also a fourth: good players from other struggling sides. 

Someone like Kalvin Phillips would improve our squad sure, but him leaving Leeds would be even more crippling for them. Offer him (and similar players in the other bottom 6 or so) a ridiculous amount of money and see what happens. 

1 hour ago, Nucasol said:

If you're living in Oxfordshire you are set pretty fair like, don't think you'll be getting itchy feet any time soon. 

1 hour ago, CaliMag said:

Not to be completely evil, but I think there is also a fourth: good players from other struggling sides. 

Someone like Kalvin Phillips would improve our squad sure, but him leaving Leeds would be even more crippling for them. Offer him (and similar players in the other bottom 6 or so) a ridiculous amount of money and see what happens. 

We have zero chance of signing Phillips. Be shocked if he doesn't end up at Liverpool or City.

Aye Kalvin Phillips has continental recognition now, like. He'll go for Maguire-ish money I bet, though probably only if Leeds stay up. 

Signings like Dwight Gayle and Matt Ritchie - where players have taken a very measurable step down by coming here - rarely work out as well as those two did, which is testament to their character, professionalism and appreciation of Newcastle as a big club just in hard times (more praise for Rafa not only 'not squandering' a handsome budget, but actually finding sensational value too ( @The Butcher)). I hope we're going absolutely nowhere near the likes of Coutinho, who'd only be coming here for the wage. I've always liked Lingard but I feel uneasy about him now too, he really should've just stayed at West Ham. 

What we really must get is players who see us as a step-up, imo, whether that's purely as a club or as that stepping stone into the PL; the latter attitude isn't particularly palatable but we'll take it right now if it means unearthing a Sissoko. Given our position we're looking at: A, players from the Championship; B, players from smaller clubs sharing the relegation battle (eg Tarkowski) or C, players from sub-elite clubs in the continent.