Transfer rumours

Yorkie

5 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

I'd take Alli, still relatively young. Lingard i'm more wary of. 

The thing is with the likes of Lingard and Trippier, approaching or at the wrong side of 30, coming from top teams. We used to have a reputation pre Ashley for signing overpaid, past it cast offs. I dont think Lingard or Trippier would fall immediately under that bracket, but you have to question how much longevity we'd get out of them - A season? Two perhaps? They'll be 30 and 32 this time next year. It wouldn't matter so much if we could spend what we want, when we want but FFP basically means we're going to have a budget and stick to it. If they were to keep us up, it'd be shrewd enough mind, but we need to have one eye on potentially moving these players on when their legs go.

Everton are prime example of the situation we do not want to end up in. Buying players that would in theory have improved the team somewhat, but a few years down the line they're utterly stuck due to overspending and FFP constraints and an inability to get rid of high earners. 

We're 19th in the league, have conceded 11 goals and scored 1 in the last week and we've only won once this season. I think we're probably past the point of being fussy whether we will get more than a couple of seasons use from a new player. To start with, we literally only need 6 months of value from them.

6 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Sometimes you have to take the short term value, and its not like Trippier or Lingard will be finished any time soon. Just about getting the mix right, Trippier is a good mentor to younger players as well. He brings more than just the ability he has.

But they need to want it. Trippier seems really up for it by all accounts, Lingard would be a good addition, but if he's prepared to waste 6 months sitting on his arse at Man U, you have to question his desire. That's the real red flag. 

3 hours ago, Collage said:

Trippier, a CM who can run with and without the ball and also do something with it, Martial/Lingard and one more defender would be a good start. Ideally I’d want two CMs and a Gayle upgrade too…

My 90 year old nana is available if you are looking for a gayle upgrade 

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Tbf to Lingard he did really well at West Ham, and he has a new manager so can see it from his perspective

Yeah, can't really blame him, all we can do is make the pitch, but he has other options which are maybe better for him right now. At least these are the calibre of players we should be going for. We won't get all of them, but even 2 or 3 might make the difference. 

16 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Tbf to Lingard he did really well at West Ham, and he has a new manager so can see it from his perspective

He's also a die hard manure fan born and bred so would take some getting away for him. Getting rid with 6 months left only benefits the club financially I'm sure he won't mind going for a free in summer

6 minutes ago, Gazzaschicken said:

He's also a die hard manure fan born and bred so would take some getting away for him. Getting rid with 6 months left only benefits the club financially I'm sure he won't mind going for a free in summer

Depends if he's getting any game time at Man U. It doesn't look like he's going to get the contract he wants long term there, in which case he should make the jump and try to move forward with his career. 

Personally I think he's probably already got some sort of tacit agreement to go to West Ham when his contract's up, in which case hanging around Manchester until the summer makes more sense. 

I think it's clear we need both a new RB and new LB.

An injury to Lewis or Manquillo means we're immediately playing a winger at full back because Krafth is awful and Dummett is never fit.

Tripper would sort the RB position out. Anyone's guess as to who we could target at LB. 

At least one pacey CB is needed, preferably good on the ball and left footed. I'd say Ake has to be in with a shout given he's played under Howe before and is likely attainable for a certain fee.

In CM we need a Bissouma/Ndidi type player. Never seen Kamara play but some of the reviews given on here seem to indicate he's a similar type of player.

And backup/competition for Wilson is needed. Solanke, Morelos, who knows. I'm sure Howe and Nickson will have targets in mind.

If we wanted to try and weaken rivals we could target Sarr, Tarkowski etc but depends how much money they're willing to throw at it.

We need a centre half, centre midfield and two fullbacks.

Kamara is good on the ball and great at playing pass the press, but offers no attacking threat and is not very good defensively. Don't really think he would suit us.

27 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

I think it's clear we need both a new RB and new LB.

An injury to Lewis or Manquillo means we're immediately playing a winger at full back because Krafth is awful and Dummett is never fit.

Tripper would sort the RB position out. Anyone's guess as to who we could target at LB. 

At least one pacey CB is needed, preferably good on the ball and left footed. I'd say Ake has to be in with a shout given he's played under Howe before and is likely attainable for a certain fee.

In CM we need a Bissouma/Ndidi type player. Never seen Kamara play but some of the reviews given on here seem to indicate he's a similar type of player.

And backup/competition for Wilson is needed. Solanke, Morelos, who knows. I'm sure Howe and Nickson will have targets in mind.

If we wanted to try and weaken rivals we could target Sarr, Tarkowski etc but depends how much money they're willing to throw at it.

Lewis already has that injury. Making the position of LB a bigger priority.

5 minutes ago, AY said:

Kamara is good on the ball and great at playing pass the press, but offers no attacking threat and is not very good defensively. Don't really think he would suit us.

So offers neither attacking or defensive qualities? Strange how so many rate him.

3 minutes ago, AY said:

Watching Jow last night, if we can get a ball winner in midfield, giving it to Jow, to distribute to the wings, we could be effective short term. I agree we need a full new 11, but I'm looking at what we need as a base for the beginning of January.

I'll be delighted if Trippier is training with us on Jan 1st, but I'll be disappointed if we don't also have a LB LCB and DM.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I'd say we need more than one midfielder.

By the end of January yes. 

We play Watford on 14th Jan, we need to have a team in place that can beat them. We could get Man City's midfield in but we will lose if the defence is not addressed.

Injuries aside, we have enough attacking power to beat Watford. Next match is Leeds, then Everton. We can bring in the new midfield with those games in mind.

7 hours ago, buzza said:

The only people worth keeping for this/next year:

Lewis, manquillo, fede, schar, Dubs, fraser, willock, almiron, Joe, maxi, wilson, murphy

Almiron should be second out of the door after Clark.

3 minutes ago, Beth said:

Almiron should be second out of the door after Clark.

There are far more people that are worthy of being peddled then Almiron. Even if he's a bit rabbit in headlights.