Transfer rumours

Yorkie

22 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Hasn’t Eriksen been released simply so he can return ‘home’ to be with friends and family? I doubt he’ll be signing anywhere other than a Danish team.

He’s been released due to having a cardiac tracker of some kind fitted, the Italian league don’t allow players with one to play 

Nah, simply not worth it, both for us, and him. No player with a fitted defibrillator has gone on to the level they previously played at. (Other than Blind…but he collapsed in a friendly with it fitted). 

Footballers with defibrillators: 

Anthony van Loo, Roeselare: The Belgian defender was allowed to continue his career after being fitted with a defibrillator. It shocked his heart back into a normal rhythm after suffering cardiac arrhythmia during a match. 

He retired in 2018, aged 30, as he felt he could not return to his old performance levels. 

Fabrice Muamba, Bolton: Former Arsenal midfielder Muamba's heart stopped for 78 minutes but he eventually made a recovery.

He retired five months later without having returned to football. He did, however, play 15 minutes in Ian Goodison's testimonial match.

Daniel Engelbrecht, Stuttgarter Kickers: The striker collapsed on the pitch against Erfurt but returned to the professional game aged 24 after 17 months, against numerous doctors' advice. 

He scored against Wehen Wiesbaden, becoming the first footballer to score with a defibrillator. However, he retired in 2018 to move into coaching when he found out the device had brought him back to life three times. 

Daley Blind, Ajax and Holland: Blind was fitted with a pacemaker after complaining of dizziness in a Champions League match against Valencia in December 2019.

He subsequently collapsed in a friendly against Hertha Berlin in August 2020 but has generally enjoyed a safe return to top-level football. 

11 hours ago, joeyt said:

The whole point of why The Athletic was created is because they believed sports fans would be happy to pay for really high quality journalism. Posting articles on a forum defeats the point of that, meaning they'll lose money and could ultimately not be able to continue to post those articles

Yet people post other paywalled articles on here on the daily?

Don’t particularly disagree with you, but it should be all paywalled articles rather than just The Athletic.

56 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Yet people post other paywalled articles on here on the daily?

Don’t particularly disagree with you, but it should be all paywalled articles rather than just The Athletic.

I think the difference is The Athletic is specifically for sports? 

Isn't it generally just the Tory rags that are paywalled (for general news)?

EDIT Further to the first point - the whole principle of The Athletic is "We're setting up a high quality sports journalism subscription service", which is why I hesitate to post stories from there

Edited by Raconteur

13 hours ago, joeyt said:

The whole point of why The Athletic was created is because they believed sports fans would be happy to pay for really high quality journalism. Posting articles on a forum defeats the point of that, meaning they'll lose money and could ultimately not be able to continue to post those articles

I mean, it was created because two bros thought they could convince sports fans to pay for the New Yorker of Sports. 

They then quickly realised that was not profitable so have descended into a boat load of access journalism and the same kind of overtold story about struggle and redemption. They do some good stuff on the analytics side but no more than the Ringer. Their video side is solid, as are some of their podcasts. Sadly, the Newcastle one is too often a tough listen. Caulkin is nice with prose, but his 'Cans' piece and general dad banter is a big turn off - he's basically over exposed himself with the Athletic gig. Waugh is solid and Taylor Payne is well...no that's mean.  

I want the Athletic and journalism like it to succeed but the way they spoke about killing local papers was awful. I think copy and pasting whole articles is too far, but they're not transcribing the Rosetta stone either.

Re. sports journalism being paywalled vs regular news - well, I guess there's something there but sport in itself only exists because of what the fans put into it, esp. their money. Athletic etc. feels like being asked to pay for what you're already funding.

Whilst 2 centre backs are an obvious priority, we’ve got to inject something into central midfield.

Nickson seemed to have some good targets lined up in this area last summer. I can see us going back in for Kamara and Cajuste, both would be unproven in PL but look the business in terms of being good footballers and athletic. We’ve also been linked with Fofana at Lille who looks a real powerhouse.

They all look realistic, should improve our midfield massively and don’t put us up shit creek for FFP. Get 2 out of these 3 and I think that’s our midfield sorted for next couple of years.

edit I also get the feeling that PIF though having a clear long term business plan, might just rip up that playbook for this Jan. I think we’ll see a massive bid for a striker, possibly Vlahovic or Nunez from Benfica. Both at clubs where money talks and might just be attainable if we strike at right time.

Edited by Whitley mag

23 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

It’s more than underwhelming, plus he’s been free for months so again why wait till now to get him.

Why did we need him before? Howe and Nickson will have a transfer wishlist between them of potential signings and this guy is likely just here to assist Nickson with the actual process of recruitment in January. Sure an article was posted before that this was the plan...

It would be mental to get someone in temporarily and let them dictate recruitment policy. 

Edited by Hhtoon

9 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

We need the following 

Jan window 

Left back 

Right Back 

Centre half 

Centre Forward

Holding Centre Mid 

Summer 

Another 1 or 2 Centre Half’s 

Centre Midfield

Winger 

Back up Keeper 

Aye, the full backs also have to be a priority if Howe is going to play 4 at the back. So much to do in so little time.

Edited by Whitley mag

2 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

We need the following 

Jan window 

Left back 

Right Back 

Centre half 

Centre Forward

Holding Centre Mid 

Summer 

Another 1 or 2 Centre Half’s 

Centre Midfield

Winger 

Back up Keeper 

We need 3 midfield players….our midfield is dire……3 plus a CF might just see us through…..Defence,whilst poor, needs help from our midfield so that must be our priority imo

6 minutes ago, Hhtoon said:

Why did we need him before? Howe and Nickson will have a tranafer wishlist between them of potential signings and this guy is likely just here to assist Nickson with the actual process of recruitment in January. Sure an article was posted before that this was the plan...

It would be mental to get someone in temporarily and let them dictate recruitment policy. 

Exactly, now is not the time to bring in an Emmanalo, the long term planning is for the summer.

We’re in a fire fight right now, the best people to judge what we need at the moment are the people on the ground.

29 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Yes to Kamara, anyone know much about Adarabioyo?

Think Adarabioyo is in the same mould as Guehi at Palace. Strong, mobile and good on the ball with lots of potential. 

Did well on loan at a lower level at Blackburn then Fulham took a chance on him as he was never going to break through at Man City.

I’d imagine we are looking at him or Lloyd Kelly at Bournemouth as a younger, long term option at centre half.