Newcastle United 0 - 1 Cambridge United (08/01/2022)

Yorkie

Honest question. With Cambridge below Sunderland right now do you think it would be 7 in a row if they met this current lot in current form? I don’t have faith in their ability to grind out any wins right about now. 

2 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Fun fact to cheer us all up:

We’re the only PL team to have not yet played at the new Wembley (discounting vs Spurs in the league).

Bit odd to add in playoff finals for the self pity angle.

26 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Honest question. With Cambridge below Sunderland right now do you think it would be 7 in a row if they met this current lot in current form? I don’t have faith in their ability to grind out any wins right about now. 

go check ya facts

Edited by GWN

I thought we started well, some decent patterns of play in the first 25 minutes. After that it felt like the confidence and belief was drained away and Cambridge grew in confidence as a result of that. 

Once we conceded we were pretty miserable mind, didn’t see much of a plan apart from the long diagonal to Trippier. 

Embarrassing result certainly, I don’t think the overall performance was as bad as some are stating but it’s still far from being good enough. 

5 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I do think if we’d had a striker, we win like.

Frees ASM up to his best position and an option on the left wing, and gives us a focal point. Players were terrified of attacking the goal. We may have a good crosser in Trippier but who can he aim for?

There's the lack of cohesion too. These players have been together for years and you thought they would have known each other's movements by now. Nope, passes find no one and players do not move into the next phases. Adding new players now won't resolve this issue immediately but I go for good players lacking cohesion than shit players with the same any time.

And absolutely imperative that we get in a new striker or two. The club are trying their best and there are challenges in doing deals, but we need to win to stay up. If we don't score goals, we can't win.  

Watched it but didn't come straight on here after full time, to make sure I didn't just post petty shit.

My take, first half was perfectly fine. Good plays getting into dangerous areas almost at will. Big Jow having a few PTSD moments but still helping things tick by. ASM taking the piss which I could let go because we were creating some good chances and the goal was a case of when not if.

Then it became apparent that we don't have a natural finisher in the team, like nobody can actually get a clean shot away, ever. This coupled with their keeper not just rolling over and you could see the teams confidence just sapping away.

This team is totally engulfed with a losing mentality for me. As soon as some good work doesn't bear fruits they shit their collective pants and try and force the matter, it's a comfort blanket almost.

We need to shake it up and remove the spine of this team, it has to be ruthless and no pity party from owners or Eddie.

Few other observations...

Murphy wasn't terrible and can strike a ball, it just seems like he's the almost man.

Almiron, well, I've stuck up for him plenty over the years but that was as blatant ball chasing and no idea as I've ever seen. Kids football.

Trippier was good, he is surrounded by clueless shit.

Willock, pillock.

7 hours ago, hakka said:

If anything not being in the cup helps us focus on staying up with less games to handle overall or risk fitness/injury. I was hoping for us to dish out a humping today so the players finally had something positive to cling on to other than the Burnley result. This feels like a setback having momentum, but in grand scheme of things so much flux will be happening with 5 more players arriving it's all going to different to what was out there today. What's very clear is we need better control of games in the middle and better players in the final 3rd. Wilson and ASM are fine, but sadly Fraser, Shelvey, Longstaff, Almiron, Willock etc. are all nearly/occasional performers - we need solid performances now so some of these need to stand aside for better quality to land now.... and that's on top of improving a shaking defence.

That’s a good summing up there. 

8 hours ago, kingxlnc said:

It wouldn’t be 7 as it is currently 0 in a row. But I wouldn’t go into the game confident that our spineless bunch would stroll to victory. They would no doubt be outfought and probably even outplayed. 

Next season, with different players and the spineless cunts from the current lot peddled I would be confident. 

Edited by Danh1

Watershed moment for the club, we couldn't / prob didn't want to win the competition anyway given the season long ambition we all have to stay in the PL

Stings a bit, but imo its for the better good, focus on our 4 team league, win that then concentrate on building from solid foundations

Just another bump in the road we all know would come, its history, gone & consigned to the past, the autopsy changes little other than to elongate the misery

We move on boys 

Thinking about this game this morning honestly makes me feel sick, can't believe the players decided this is the best they can do at home in front of the new owners and a full stadium, i fail to think of one player who actually did well yesterday other than maybe Trippier but you can tell he was shocked and the level of his team mates.

9 hours ago, Wilson said:

Aye.. I generally hate the 'your support is fucking shit' chant, and these definitely didnt deserve it today. 

Always get loads of divvies on early cup games like. Numerous shit songs yesterday, people need a slap. 

8 hours ago, kingxlnc said:

We've drawn since the 6th,haven't we? So nope. However, on yesterday's showing I'm glad we haven't come up against them in the cup. 

Guest neesy111
1 hour ago, Armchair Pundit said:

If true (my memory eludes), Man City got beaten 8-1 by Boro the season they got bought by Mansour, maybe we just write this off as a comparison and a kick in the pants for how bad things actually are.

Season before.

Looking back at the game I stand by how we plainly can’t dictate play , it’s not the first time I’ve noticed it .These players have had years of being constantly on the back foot , they don’t know how to play possession football, the sheer lack of first touch is alarming.

However we still had enough chances to easily beat Cambridge, it just wouldn’t go in and we just couldn’t put it in .

So on reflection I’m not going to panic , however we need a total change and that’s going to take 2 season imho, so hang on in there lads and I’m a bit calmer than yesterday.

I was too involved in that game yesterday [emoji38]

In retrospect this reminded me of a Pardew performance. Started very brightly but didn’t capitalise. Ran out of ideas and the opposition take charge  and go on to win. 

the fact it was 3rd division standard that easily owned us second half is a worry though. Loads of work needed by Howe and co.