More transfer rumours

midds

4 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I think you're underestimating the value of a striker who would virtually guarantee you 25 goals in the championship and a decent shot at promotion, 33 or not.

£10-12m is probably a bit rich but £6-8m should be realistic

Has he ever scored 25 goals in a championship season ?

6 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I think you're underestimating the value of a striker who would virtually guarantee you 25 goals in the championship and a decent shot at promotion, 33 or not.

There is a 0.001% chance of any team in the Championship stumping up that kind of money for Dwight Gayle. Like I said a few posts back, we will be lucky to get £1m. 

9 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Not a chance. 

He hasn't played a full season since his loan at West Brom.

His game is also based on being quick over the first 5 yards, something he's likely lost as a result of injuries and time catching up with him.

He's also on 50k a week and annoyingly he has 2 years left on his deal. As someone else has said, he'll leave on a heavily subsidised loan or he'll stay.

I certainly wouldn't back him to bag 25 goals in the championship either.

Edited by PlymouthGeordie

12 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

The market has collapsed at that level. Nobody in the Championship has that kind of money to spend. Those that do will be generated by sales of players and they will reinvest in younger signings. There simply isn't the market in the Championship to spend any money on a 33 year old who has barely played a game of football in 2 years.

Our only chance is getting him out on loan - teams will gamble on him for that if they can get a favourable agreement on wage contribution.  But his wages are making that unviable even for a lot of clubs. Boro have seemingly stepped aside as they can't afford it.

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Apart from Lascelles, Manquillo, Lewis - I doubt we get much of a fee for most of the fringe players. Lascelles isn't even a fringe player.

Should have taken that 50m off Chelsea 😂

1 minute ago, nbthree3 said:

It could be that Newcastle have to sacrifice one potential signing to secure another, especially as Isak can play across the front three in manager Howe’s preferred formation. 

If a deal for Isak can be thrashed out in the coming days, it would probably signal the end of Newcastle's transfer business in this window, unless they are able to raise extra funds through player sales or bring in a player on loan.

Real Sociedad are aware of Newcastle's interest in the 22-year-old, and talks have been taking place, but an agreement has not yet been reached.

It does appear, though, that Isak has moved to the top of Newcastle’s wanted list with negotiations set to continue in the hope a deal can be agreed before the start of the season.

According to well-placed sources who have spoken to Telegraph Sport, Sociedad want “big, big money” for Isak who was one of the best young players on display at last summer’s European Championship.

Guest reefatoon
3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

"Newcastle would need to spend almost their entire remaining transfer budget to sign the Real Sociedad and Sweden forward"

First sentence :lol:

[emoji38] Was just about to say that. The bloke is obsessed with sticking to his "budget" talk.

5 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

If a deal for Isak can be thrashed out in the coming days, it would probably signal the end of Newcastle's transfer business in this window, unless they are able to raise extra funds through player sales or bring in a player on loan.

Not sure I’d be happy with this. We need two players not just gamble on one coz he’s more expensive.

Can Isak play wide by the way? I've always thought he could, because of his style of play, and when I've seen him play he seems to spend so much of the game drifting deep and wide. But Transfermarkt seems to suggest he's played 199 games as CF, 3 on the right and 1 wide left.

Edited by ponsaelius

10 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

Scene 1:  Ashworth, Howe in room:  

Ashworth: Right lets secure Isak as we need another forward, agreed?  

Howe: Agreed, what's the next step?

Ashworth:  Well 1st of all I have to brief that bald telegraph twat and then contact Isak

Howe:  Yes, then that Sean guy on twitter - got to build these relationships! 

Edited by Awaymag