More transfer rumours

midds

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

£40m doesn't sound that much on 22 yr olds when you see Chelsea spending that much on a 31 yr old defender. Buy them both if they are available.

Whilst out owners may now have the ability to outspend Chelsea should they wish, we're still a million miles away from actually being able to do that without putting ourselves in an Everton style FFP hole pretty quickly we tried. 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

If I could only go for one of Diaby or Isak right now I’d definitely go for Isak 

I think I'm still the opposite. We don't get Isak than Wilson plays. We don't get Diaby they Fraser/Almiron play. I know you could argue Wilson will get injured, but still, the drop off between Diaby and Fraser/Almiron is huge. 

From the start people were saying we would be looking at a couple of loan options this summer. 

Likely there are still some great loan to buy options out there if we spend on Isak. Hudson-Odoi would be one ther springs to mind. Probably likewise for another CM/AM.

2 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

I think I'm still the opposite. We don't get Isak than Wilson plays. We don't get Diaby they Fraser/Almiron play. I know you could argue Wilson will get injured, but still, the drop off between Diaby and Fraser/Almiron is huge. 

As is the drop from Wilson to Wood if we signed only Diaby. In an ideal world we'd get both, but that's looking unlikely going by the baldwards article.

6 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Whilst out owners may now have the ability to outspend Chelsea should they wish, we're still a million miles away from actually being able to do that without putting ourselves in an Everton style FFP hole pretty quickly we tried. 

I thought because of how little we'd spent over the past few years we have quite a lot of credit to play with, especially if we structure the deals right.

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

If I could only go for one of Diaby or Isak right now I’d definitely go for Isak 

Yeah, it would have to be Isak I think. He's such a high profile singing and has true super star potential.

As I've said before there's a chance Howe returns to his setup at Bournemouth where he has a second striker playing off a main striker like he had with King playing off Wilson. He had Joelinton pushed up and playing just off the front man when we had the ball last season a lot of the time.

If so, then Isak could potentially play off Wilson, which is his ideal position. We could then potentially see Joe play in one of the wide positions like he did at Norwich, with ASM on the other flank and another more sturdy midfielder coming in on loan to partner Bruno, or Joe could potentially drop deeper in midfield alongside Bruno, with another wideman coming in on loan.

Guess it all depends on what Howe is looking at doing with Joelinton this season coming off a great year last year, and also what our best options are on loan both out wide and in central midfield.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

I thought because of how little we'd spent over the past few years we have quite a lot of credit to play with, especially if we structure the deals right.

We do in theory, but until we start signing new sponsorship deals the number is still limited. Meaning the more we spend now the less we can spend in the future. Obviously the idea is we grow our commercial income rapidly, but until that actually starts to happen we'd basically taking a risk on money we hope/expect to make in the future. A side like Chelsea can budget knowing those commercial deals are in place, and how much they're going to make per season from them. 

You can cheat a little with cleverly structured deals, but that relies on the selling team being happy with said structure as well. 

18 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Sorry to be a stat nonce, but can someone explain away his not that great stats despite his big reputation? I haven't seen much of him, presumably there's much more to his game than goals?

Watch a video comp. They are impressive.

Then you look at his recent goalscoring record and go "oh". But I think if you've had 1 prolific season in La Liga in your early 20's. Tall (not seen any headed goals or like chest control for link up mind), quick, skilful you're going to get some big hype.

You rarely get players like Aguero these days. Aguero goal-wise fairly slow in his first season at Atleti. But from then on goals, goals, goals. You rarely get players 23-26 these days with 2 to 3 seasons of 15+ goals in a top division.

11 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Yeah I agree with this.

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

While we're on Edwards, how is it an exclusive if the Athletic reported it yesterday?

Because if you look at the Capital letter of the first four sentences, its spells COCK.   Athletic dont have that, hence exclusive!

Edited by Awaymag

33 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

1900780051_Screenshot_20220712-145146_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.fc2292c18c103ab5731b4c87f2bdecd4.jpg

Isak.

Would fucking love us to go big on another striker like, even at the expense of the winger we need. Wilson will get injured. 

That's a lot of goals for someone still 22. He must be good. 

9 minutes ago, Kanji said:

if fit / not fit 

Maxi - Wilson - Isak      /       Maxi - Isak - Fraser/Miggy

versus.

Maxi - Wilson - Diaby     /      Maxi - Wood - Diaby 

Isak has played on the right 3 times his whole career. Why we suddenly trying to shoe horn him in there 

Just now, gdm said:

Isak has played on the right 3 times his whole career. Why we suddenly trying to shoe horn him in there 

Yep. This isn't Steve Bruce's Newcastle United anymore. We actually have a manager who plays players in the correct position. Think it's one of the reasons the club isn't as interested in Paqueta as the fans are. 

1 minute ago, gdm said:

Yeah, I was surprised to see how little he has played out wide. Think it's far more likely he plays in behind Wilson as a second striker, which is where he's most dangerous.