More transfer rumours

midds

Carr is underrated if anything. The players he brought in at the prices he did was kind of ridiculous. And these often weren't the top targets. If we had a competent manager and an owner with ambition we could have been a real force. 

1 minute ago, gjohnson said:

This is spot on. 

We live in times where 20M is now quite a small fee for a good player. 

We've had 14 years of conditioning to believe that 7M is still a big fee when in reality that would probably struggle to get you a backup Championship defender.

Maybe it's a leftover from the Shearer signing that's just been ingrained to our support where anything more than 15M should be a superstar

What I was getting is at that clubs will try to do us for double what theyd sell to Brighton or Palace for.

12 minutes ago, madras said:

+ 10million for having the richest owners

+ 8million relegation desperation premium.

Nah, I think the Dutch, Belgian, Swiss, Austrian and some of those level of leagues are quite reasonable.

For the most part they sign most of the players they use at much lower prices and aren't necessary looking for massive profits as the players are not as experienced at a higher level, so there is still a bit of an element of risk.

For example Botman joined Lille for just over £7 million pounds in the summer of 2020, so only a year and a half ago. What we really need to be doing is identifying players like Botman that are still at that lower level and haven't moved yet, as those are the players that we can get in quickly for decent prices.

Our scouting needs to be on point though to ensure we are getting the right players that can most readily make the step up.

If we then manage to stay up we can then start looking at the more higher profile players. 

Edited by KaKa

1 minute ago, Jaqen said:

Carr is underrated if anything. The players he brought in at the prices he did was kind of ridiculous. And these often weren't the top targets. If we had a competent manager and an owner with ambition we could have been a real force. 

I would say he's rated exactly as he should be.

At a certain point in time he had a good set of contacts and knowledge of players contracts which served us quite well.

However this clearly was not permanent and becoming more and more apparent that it was due to being mates with certain agents

I’m quite certain all Newcastle fans would be celebrating a real targeted and ruthless approach at transfers where we’re buying a Botman pre Lille where there’s definite potential and star power but still needs to prove it on the big level. The difference before under MA is that we had no coaching or training to build these players up and we’re constantly in a relegation threatened position. 

57 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

You don’t think getting Cabaye/Ben Arfa/Remy/Debuchy/Tiote/Krul was good business? What about the players he wanted that we didn’t get? All at big clubs? Of course that’s how he had to sell it to them then, why would that be the same under these owners? 

That’s complete speculation about the agents and even so , that’s called cultivating relationships. Haven’t really scouted well since he left, have we?

I swear some people think that we can just hit every transfer and get a 100 percent success rate. No one ever does that 

No, I don't think they were great business (Krul wasn't under Carr). How long did most of the players above and others like Sissoko, Thauvin, and Wijnaldum stay at the club? None of those players were hidden gems, everyone knew about them; Cabaye had won the French league the previous season. It doesn't take a genius to work out that the midfielder in a league winning team might be half decent. We make out that he was some great guru at scouting when in fact he mainly operated in the closest country to our shores and had a good relationships with some agents; relationships that were "cultivated" on the premise that the players would be off as soon as we received a decent bid. I don't think that latter part is conjecture as what was the longest a Carr buy stayed at the club? Indeed it would be interesting to know what the average duration at the club was for a Carr player? 1 and half years-2 years?

Truth is though that none of them had the fight in them to really put themselves on the line for Newcastle as they knew they'd be off soon enough and most agitated to move as soon as possible to be off.

Yes, we have recruited better since he left as we haven't been relegated (yet) since he  left.

I never said anything about a 100% success rate in the transfer market, I just don't think he did anything exceptional.

Doesn't say a lot about the bloke that he kept on being told no by Ashley for all these soon to be world class players that he wanted to recruit and yet stayed at the club. Anyone with any self-respect would have left and gone to work with a club with a bit of ambition where he could have bought some of these players. I wonder why he didn't leave?

Speaks volumes that one of Benitez's, who's knows football, first acts was to show him the door. 

A few media transfer things which do my head in:

1. "Learning the hard way", in reference to January. Didn't Jamie Reuben help run Fulham? Therefore I suspect he knows more than the dickhead journalist making this statement.

2. "X team has been offered x player", when was the last time a player was openly offered to a club and signed off the back of it?

3. "Preparing, considering, mulling over"... in the bin.

2 minutes ago, STM said:

A few media transfer things which do my head in:

1. "Learning the hard way", in reference to January. Didn't Jamie Reuben help run Fulham? Therefore I suspect he knows more than the dickhead journalist making this statement.

2. "X team has been offered x player", when was the last time a player was openly offered to a club and signed off the back of it?

3. "Preparing, considering, mulling over"... in the bin.

I'd still love to know what 'preparing a bid' means. Are they checking their phone is fully charged?

Journalists are being sold false stories by agents and we are being sold false stories by journalists. The fog of war this January is terrible.

There's only two things I'm fairly confident in; we signed Trippier, we tried to sign Botman. I'd question any other stories validity.