More transfer rumours

midds

So with the window opening 10th June and Ashworth just getting his feet under the table, do you think we'll be working on deals up until then, to announce after?

Or do you reckon we'll potentially announce deals at any time, like some other clubs have so far?

Anytime.

I'd say summer targets have been worked on for months in advance anyway as soon as it looked very likely we'd stay up - don't think Ashworth appointment will have an immediate effect on recruitment.

2 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

It doesn't tell you anything that you cannot tell already by just watching a few games and a highlight reel though. And it'll be deceptive when it comes to players who have a tendency to score from range or have the ability to sneak goals in from daft angles. Only time will tell you whether or not that is luck, not an xG stat.

I've no doubt it has a lot of uses in high level data analysis but for the layman you're better off just going off what you've seen/heard from people you trust.

Disagree. It’s always a useful metric. It’s not deceptive - if a player consistently scores from range or daft angles it means you can rely on them to constantly outperform their Xg. 

It’s a data point. It’s useful as a data point. Their are many data points. 

I think confidence is also reflected in Xg. Confident players tend to get into better goal scoring positions and have higher Xg.  

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think confidence is also reflected in Xg. Confident players tend to get into better goal scoring positions and have higher Xg.

True, but some players confidence is more fragile than others, and can vary wildly. Then you have mentality monsters like Ronaldo for whom confidence is never an issue. I do feel confidence/mentality is one of the (only) areas where xG is a little blind.

14 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

True, but some players confidence is more fragile than others, and can vary wildly. Then you have mentality monsters like Ronaldo for whom confidence is never an issue. I do feel confidence/mentality is one of the (only) areas where xG is a little blind.

Do you have examples?

I look at Lukaku. His overall Xg is low but he spent a lot of time on the bench. I thought Chelsea's style of play doesn't suit his style with the slow build-up. But his overall npxg is fairly high and doesn't line-up with my eye test. He does have a habit of a poor touch often that could lead to a shot that doesn't happen perhaps. I haven't dug deep into his stats though.

3 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Who's been on Lodis Wikipedia 25 feet tall, Shearer as a middle name and born in Brunos back garden apparently. Sign him up.

Screenshot_20220531-112326_Samsung Internet.jpg

25'4"? Definitely sign him, the set penis might finally work.

16 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Do you have examples?

I look at Lukaku. His overall Xg is low but he spent a lot of time on the bench. I thought Chelsea's style of play doesn't suit his style with the slow build-up. But his overall npxg is fairly high and doesn't line-up with my eye test. He does have a habit of a poor touch often that could lead to a shot that doesn't happen perhaps. I haven't dug deep into his stats though.

It's a bit of a weird one, because we only have one real example of a dip, but look at Harry Kane, and whatever was going on with him at the start of this season. Whether he was distracted by transfer speculation or just knackered who's to say. But his xG for this season and the season prior are pretty much identical (20.1 this season. 20.5 last season). Yet this season he scored 6 fewer goals. The first time he has under-performed his xG for as far back as fbref have 'expected' data. Kane is a player who, in the past several seasons, has vastly over performed his xG. If you were to look purely at the numbers this season is unexplainable. However anyone who watched Spurs in the first half of the season could tell you straight away that Harry Kane just wasn't with it. 

This is what I was referring to, a striker having a dip in confidence can be really hard to forecast, and they're more prone to it than pretty much any other position on the pitch.  

Maybe one for the pet hates thread but the editing of wiki pages for footballers are rarely ever funny or clever and ends up being a bit of a bug bear for me (sorry for being a spoilsport)

The only one I can remember finding funny was someone editing Papiss Cisse's which said  Place of Birth: Offside,Senegal

10 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Wonder if we’ve sent our medical team along with the Brazil team just in case.

Doubt it. It's not January, there aren't the same kind of time constraints we were under with Bruno. Also, I don't think Paqueta is going happen. 

1 hour ago, WillingtonMag said:

Who's been on Lodis Wikipedia 25 feet tall, Shearer as a middle name and born in Brunos back garden apparently. Sign him up.

Screenshot_20220531-112326_Samsung Internet.jpg

This was funny, but someone has now altered it further, adding in a load more stuff. It's now just try-hard incoherent babbling in an attempt at comedy.

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Biggest challenge for Eddie and the staff next season is to try and evolve ASM into all round attacking talent - get him scoring and assisting (think Diaby will take a lot of weight off ASM) then we are laughing - Diaby will create a lot of space for ASM and vice versa

3 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Edwards just tweeted we've been quoted 40m for DCL and Toney, make of it what you will

:doh:

Edwards...

Might as well make a name, then a fee, and tell everyone 'I told you so' when it doesn't happen