More transfer rumours

midds

Just now, Tsunami said:

I’d be a bit surprised if DCL would want to come here and with his and Wilson’s injury record I’d be worried they’d be both out at the same time.

Aye it would be a stupid move. 

43 minutes ago, TRon said:

Not sure about Toney since it's been pointed out 5 of his 12 goals last season came from penalties. I think we need an 18-20 goal a season man. DCL might be the better bet, but he has been out with injuries a fair bit as well recently, so that puts me off a bit.

I think Toney’s all round game is good and 12 in a newly-promoted team regardless if 5 are penalties is still decent. You’d like to think if he comes here he’ll have players around him to create a lot of chances the direction we appear to be going. I reckon he could double his goals from open play if you get the likes of ASM, Diaby, two positive full-backs in the side around him.

29 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

I’m not convinced we’ll sign anyone who’ll expect to start up top every game ahead of Wilson. I think they might ‘gamble’ on Wilson and sign more of an understudy (Ekitike type) as well as look to provide cover from one of the other positions we move for (eg a RW who can also play up top).

We’re in the unfortunate position where Wilson is one of our few players with the quality to take us to the next level…but he’s potentially not going to available for a decent chunk of the season. 

I actually don't mind that since I am quite excited about Ekiteke, he has the pace which would cause real problems, and for me Wilson is a class CF, and I'm not convinced either Toney or DCL wouldn't be a downgrade. I could live with working with Wilson and Ekiteke.

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think Toney’s all round game is good and 12 in a newly-promoted team regardless if 5 are penalties is still decent. You’d like to think if he comes here he’ll have players around him to create a lot of chances the direction we appear to be going. I reckon he could double his goals from open play if you get the likes of ASM, Diaby, two positive full-backs in the side around him.

Yeah I was quite surprised he hadn't scored more tbf, he does look a good player. Just think he needs to prove himself over more than a season before we start laying out £40m.

6 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Is DCL injury prone or has he just had one injury last season?

He had a fractured toe last season which kept him out for a long time. Prior to that it’s muscle and soft tissue injuries but for a young player he seems to pick them up at least once a season and he’s out 4 weeks or more.

I think he’s a risk and I’m not too sure how good he is. I’d take Abraham over him if that was an option.

2 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

He had a fractured toe last season which kept him out for a long time. Prior to that it’s muscle and soft tissue injuries but for a young player he seems to pick them up at least once a season and he’s out 4 weeks or more.

I think he’s a risk and I’m not too sure how good he is. I’d take Abraham over him if that was an option.

I think Abraham is just a better player regardless tbh.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Was brilliant before he went to Betis, i have no idea how he has done for them ?

He’s done ok tbf but he is really slow which is a big disadvantage - so no thanks 

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

Why, out of interest? If, and granted it’s a big If, his injury issues are behind him you’d be paying 40m for one of the best pure target men in world football. English tax aside, it’s a decent price.

DCL is nowhere near the best in the world at anything.

Some players just reach a point where it’s one injury too many and next thing they’re missing more than they play, and perhaps an unwillingness to play unless they are 100%

Shearer for example had a couple of serious injuries but he was always back ahead of schedule and he never let it affect him because he was prepared to walk through walls for his club, there’s many other players who have the same ethos but an equal amount who don’t.

You look at someone like Andy Carroll, not prepared to do that and a different attitude to carrying knocks etc. Dwight Gayle was flying for us, got injured and was never quite the same. It has to be a mentality thing.

The question over DCL is which category does he fit into? The amount of time he’s missed over fairly innocuous things you’d have to question.

22 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I’d be a bit surprised if DCL would want to come here and with his and Wilson’s injury record I’d be worried they’d be both out at the same time.

Is DCL that bad? Dunno why I thought he was, probs because of this season.  Last few he's managed plenty of PL games.

Screenshot_20220531-150413_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f36ffcc9823a7a3a8093e25b927094d4.jpg