More transfer rumours

midds

18 minutes ago, brummie said:

Yeah but I'm not really sure what comparing two different scenarios proves.

I wasn't a fan of the appointment, but he's come in after we sold our best player days before the start of the season (the player the whole team was built around), inherited someone else's squad, and done an OK job. Whether Howe did better or worse doesn't really come into it.

I'll give him a chance and see what he does, he's done and said all the right things so far, so I am not really sure what this conviction that he is a chancer comes from. There isn't anything thus far that suggests that.

Probably because he comes across as a massive tosser on a regular basis so people are keen for him to fail.

Edited by Theregulars

10 hours ago, HWTL said:

Let's just spend all of our wages in the first few days and live of fuck all for a month. 

I’m not saying go out and spend 100 million on players. I’m meaning like go out get the key targets and maybe back ups that we want without the constant fuss of “FFP” which is rarely mentioned when other clubs target players. 

FWIW I’m happy so far with our January and summer business so far and how far we’ve come but I’m also on the basis to keep players like Bruno and Botman here who we showed massive ambition to get and no doubt will want minimum European football then we do have to edge the boat out a little more. All you can ask from a Newcastle fan is improvement which we’ve done but if we want to be in Europe we’ve got to make the moves. If we signed a big marque signing and covering the positions we all know we need/want then it’s a 10/10 window.

57 minutes ago, brummie said:

Based on results purely since Gerrard arrived, we'd have finished 9th.

Not great but better.

Don't forget, he came in halfway through the season.

Based on Howe’s last 19 games in charge, I.e. once he had a reasonable chance to influence, we’d have finished third. Bizarre but true. 

3 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Interesting link. From his highlights, looks a dynamic central midfielder. Terrific pace and dribbling through the centre, and pays in that RCM position in a 4-3-3.

From reading up on him seems highly rated. Interestingly his contract is up in 2023 and he's apparently available for £8.5 million.

If the twitter post is accurate the two legs of the Europa Conference qualifiers are in the next week, with the second leg taking place on the 28th of July. Maybe we look to do the deal after the second leg next Thursday, provided he comes through unscathed.

Edited by KaKa

50 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Interesting link. From his highlights, looks a dynamic central midfielder. Terrific pace and dribbling through the centre, and pays in that RCM position in a 4-3-3.

From reading up on him seems highly rated. Interestingly his contract is up in 2023 and he's apparently available for £8.5 million.

If the twitter post is accurate the two legs of the Europa Conference qualifiers are in the next week, with the second leg taking place on the 28th of July. Maybe we look to do the deal after the second leg next Thursday, provided he comes through unscathed.

Aye, love these kind of signings me. Obscure-ish 10m +/- players with good technical ability who could develop into a good squad player. 

4 hours ago, Kanji said:

Aye, love these kind of signings me. Obscure-ish 10m +/- players with good technical ability who could develop into a good squad player. 

From what I've seen of him (just from highlights to be fair) and also read he's a lot better than that.

He's been compared to that Vitinha that joined PSG from Porto, for around £40 million, and there's been speculation he would be off to Porto to replace him. Think his price is lower because his contract is running down, as it's going into it's final  year.

Ability wise, looks like he slots into that RCM spot in our starting 11 ahead of Longstaff or Willock.

2 hours ago, Emotic said:

That tweet doesn't make much sense though - a  player we really wanted, but he wants to play two Conference Leagues games first, so we immediately lost interest? Why? 

Think it just meant we ended interest in doing a permanent deal for the time being.

I imagine we'd still be open to it provided he comes through both matches without any injury.

Would Harrison give us better than the combined efforts of Almiron and Fraser over the course of a full season?. I'd much rather stick with those 2 than spend anything on Harrison let alone £30M+.

Just now, Mazzy said:

Would Harrison give us better than the combined efforts of Almiron and Fraser over the course of a full season?

Of course he would. Harrison would get more goals and assists in 1 season than the combined efforts of Almiron and Fraser in 2 seasons.

18 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Reports that we’ve bid 24m for Harrison.   Set to be rejected as they’re holding out for 35m (which is a ridiculous asking price, but I suppose they don’t need to sell).

£25 million is probably about right for Harrison.

19 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Would Harrison give us better than the combined efforts of Almiron and Fraser over the course of a full season?. I'd much rather stick with those 2 than spend anything on Harrison let alone £30M+.

If the previous output of those players is anything to go by, he would yeah.

8 goals and 8 assists in 20/21

8 goals and 1 assist in 21/22

Harrison is the equivalent to the Burn transfer

Pragmatic, and improves the team in the short term

BUT - for only 1 window, then becomes a backup.

I would much rather have a purple that moves the club forward than invest in bench 

Harrison would be the epitome of "meh"

12 minutes ago, arnonel said:

I would much rather have a purple that moves the club forward than invest in bench 

Let's confine that term to the bin along with everything else Ashley-related

Edited by Holmesy

11 minutes ago, arnonel said:

Pure fantasy and delusion.

I know people find it hard going from being linked with the likes of Diaby and Paqueta to Jack Harrison. But he absolutely would be significant upgrade on our current right sided options. Just about to enter his prime as well. His numbers last season would've made him our top scorer.

Just now, sushimonster85 said:

I know people find it hard going from being linked with the likes of Diaby and Paqueta to Jack Harrison. But he absolutely would be significant upgrade on our current right sided options. Just about to enter his prime as well. His numbers last season would've made him our top scorer.

Isn't he better on the left though?

9 hours ago, KaKa said:

This lad looks similar to Paqueta in terms of style, technique and position, but at a fraction of the cost. 

9 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Pure fantasy and delusion.

I feel like there should be more to your rebuttle

My point is. There are more Brunos out there. Players with a much higher ceiling.

Although sensible, I dont think Harrison is that player. 

Happy to be proven wrong though

24 minutes ago, arnonel said:

Harrison does move the club forward, look at his return in the PL compared to Murphy and Almiron. Our transfer record under this ownership suggests the strategy is to move forward in stages and improve position by position and the squad as a whole rather than jumping in for a £60m Diaby or whoever and be left with Murphy as his backup. Instead it’ll be Harrison, then another reasonable winger probably 3 or 4 windows down the line to give us new winger/Harrison.