Newcastle United vs Watford: 15/01/22 @ 3pm (No UK TV)

1 hour ago, Rich said:

If Wilson wasn't out, would people still be so downhearted? Cambridge was an aberration, but I feel like we've been playing pretty well before that, despite some howkings.

I'd obviously love us to get some more business done ASAP, but as others have said we can name pretty much the XI that should have beaten Man Utd.

Even if we don't sign anyone by Saturday, which I'd be amazed at, I'll still be heading to the ground feeling like it's a game we should be winning with these players.

If no changes and Gayle & Lascelles are fit, I'd go:

Dubravka

Murphy Krafth Lascelles Schar Trippier

Fraser Shelvey Joelinton Saint-Maximin

Gayle

That's some optimism. I've still got hope for the transfer window but it's pretty clear that we're navigating a pretty bumpy road despite (/because of?) the riches behind us. Clearly the powers that be have no interest in 'just getting bodies in' at this stage, so I'll be very surprised if there's any arrivals in the next 72 hours. 

This is a must win game like, do that and we can inch forward more than we have under the new owners and manager thus far, lose and it’s not looking good!

2 hours ago, Rich said:

If Wilson wasn't out, would people still be so downhearted? Cambridge was an aberration, but I feel like we've been playing pretty well before that, despite some howkings.

I'd obviously love us to get some more business done ASAP, but as others have said we can name pretty much the XI that should have beaten Man Utd.

Even if we don't sign anyone by Saturday, which I'd be amazed at, I'll still be heading to the ground feeling like it's a game we should be winning with these players.

If no changes and Gayle & Lascelles are fit, I'd go:

Dubravka

Murphy Krafth Lascelles Schar Trippier

Fraser Shelvey Joelinton Saint-Maximin

Gayle

Genuine optimism, is this real life?

I don't think there's any chance Gayle is starting like, ASM has always started up top in Wilson's absence. I think it could be the same front three we saw away to Liverpool.

I had a basic look at ASM's involvement when he's started on his own up top this season. Five games, one goal, two assists.

This game is massive for us as we've been saying about nearly every game but it's true this game is huge. Win we have a chance, lose and I think we go down.

We've desperately needed new bodies in before this game and as time goes on I think we won't have signed anyone else in time for this game.

It has draw or lose written all over it

If nobody else comes in then Gayle, if fit, should start up front. He's incredibly limited but he is an actual striker who stays in the right positions and does have a half-decent finish in him against lower level opposition. Other options in that position are ASM, Big Joe or, dare I say it, Joe Willock. I'd take Gayle over any of those as a striker.

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

That's some optimism. I've still got hope for the transfer window but it's pretty clear that we're navigating a pretty bumpy road despite (/because of?) the riches behind us. Clearly the powers that be have no interest in 'just getting bodies in' at this stage, so I'll be very surprised if there's any arrivals in the next 72 hours. 

Ta da.

Trippier      Schar      Lascelles      Dummet fit?

Joelinton    Shelvey

Murphy                                                            ASM

Miggy

Wood

Should see us comfortably beat Watford.

Edited by cubaricho

1 minute ago, cubaricho said:

Joelinton    Shelvey

Miggy

Wood

Should see us comfortably beat Norwich.

Look forward to seeing if we achieve that later this season.

3 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Joelinton    Shelvey

Miggy

Wood

Should see us comfortably beat Norwich.

Given we’re playing them in April I’d hope we’d have Wilson back and a couple more signings through the door between now and then.

Absolutely terrifying people suggesting we should play a 2 man midfield which consists of Shelvey. 

it’s been proven time and time again to be a disaster class. 

if you want to play a 2 man midfield Shelvey can’t be one of them. 

7 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Absolutely terrifying people suggesting we should play a 2 man midfield which consists of Shelvey. 

it’s been proven time and time again to be a disaster class. 

if you want to play a 2 man midfield Shelvey can’t be one of them. 

I think the three of Joe/Shelvey & Almiron in the 10 hole are more than enough of a center midfield for Watford. 

1 minute ago, cubaricho said:

I think the three of Joe/Shelvey & Almiron in the 10 hole are more than enough of a center midfield for Watford. 

it’s a central midfield devoid of any form of positional awareness which is my concern. I know Howe tries to compensate by asking his defenders to squeeze up field but our lack of pace at the back makes this risky too. 

It is true that Watford are in dreadful form though, but they do have a crafty manager who knows football extremely well.