Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

6 minutes ago, ChrisMcQuillan said:

Dubravka 

Trippier Schar Burn Targett

Shelvey Guimaraes Willock

Fraser Wood ASM

Willock grew and grew into the last game, and he needs that license to roam forward more. Tough call leaving Joelinton on the bench, but I think the balance of the team calls for it. 

First time in a long time that the team and formation doesn’t pick itself. 

No big joe is madness given his current form. 

Edited by r0cafella

8 minutes ago, ChrisMcQuillan said:

Dubravka 

Trippier Schar Burn Targett

Shelvey Guimaraes Willock

Fraser Wood ASM

Willock grew and grew into the last game, and he needs that license to roam forward more. Tough call leaving Joelinton on the bench, but I think the balance of the team calls for it. 

First time in a long time that the team and formation doesn’t pick itself. 

That's a hanging offence, no Joe??   Off to the gallows with ya!

10 hours ago, BottledDog said:

Ah, to see once more through such sweet and unburdened eyes as yours.

There are untold scenarios where not only do we not improve, but the suffering continues and grows.

Like some fecund form of bind weed, unclean and grasping, spawned from the fetid loins of a Michael Owen or a Michael Ashley, spreading its leaden mass from Four Lane Ends to the blasted heath's of Benwell.

We mew and raise a desperate cheer from the sidelines as the clouds break and your hope dances and soars towards the blue, but know in in our hearts that the storm is rising, the wings will fold, and the small songbirds body will once more be dashed upon the paving stones of Barrack Road.

This is one of the best posts I’ve ever read. 

I think the arguments to leave Joe out are fair, because: it's pointless discussing Shelvey missing out; Longstaff presses well; and Willock - presumably/hopefully/in theory - can get forward and score goals. I don't think Joe really does either of those things. 

However what he does do is keep the ball extremely well. His close control and short passing is fantastic; whether he's using flair and trickery to deceive, or just using his strength and balance to hold people off, somehow the ball does just seem to stick to him. Additionally he puts himself in the right places to intercept and can also rob the ball off opponents. 

For those reasons I'd stick with him because I think those benefits still outweigh what Longstaff and Willock bring, not to mention their levels of performance just generally not being anywhere near as high as Joe's this season. 

Plus he's just fucking lush, I can't get enough of his immense turnaround, and surely we all want to see a Brazilian pair tearing it up in the middle of the park for Newcastle?

Dubravka

Trippier        Schar            Burn         Targett 

Shelvey

Bruno                 Joelinton

Fraser                                                     ASM

Wood

Wouldn't be averse to Murphy having a run out ahead of Fraser mind. 

Just now, neesy111 said:

We were much more balanced after Joelinton went off vs Leeds. 

By all accounts that's true (only caught the last 15 minutes) but I don't recall balance being an issue in previous games. Leeds play with such intensity particularly at home, that it could be have been an outlier. 

Guest neesy111

The problem with Joelinton is he goes everywhere, in midfield you don't want that if you want to get control of a game by keeping your shape.  Can't fault his commitment etc though.  Depends on the type of game as well.

He should be the one that plays to link up with the striker from now on (e.g.  the perez role) as our strikers look absolutely isolated in Howe's system and then drop back if needed.

Edited by neesy111

1 minute ago, neesy111 said:

The problem with Joelinton is he goes everywhere, in midfield you don't want that if you want to get control of a game by keeping your shape.  Can't fault his commitment etc though.  Depends on the type of game as well.

He should be the one that plays to link up with the striker from now on (e.g.  the perez role) as our strikers look absolutely isolated in Howe's system and then drop back if needed.

Howe said a few weeks ago that he initially saw him as a number 10 so it's not unlikely that that's what will happen. 

@Yorkie is there something to be said for Willock in midfield and then Joelinton in Fraser's spot in the team you posted?

I remember when Joe was signed seeing people say how his best spot was probably just off a striker rather than leading the line. I know he's found form in CM but might be worth trying him in a more advanced role. Could be interesting seeing him link up with Trippier, might allow Trippier to get forward a lot more with Joe there to cover for him?

38 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I think the arguments to leave Joe out are fair, because: it's pointless discussing Shelvey missing out; Longstaff presses well; and Willock - presumably/hopefully/in theory - can get forward and score goals. I don't think Joe really does either of those things. 

However what he does do is keep the ball extremely well. His close control and short passing is fantastic; whether he's using flair and trickery to deceive, or just using his strength and balance to hold people off, somehow the ball does just seem to stick to him. Additionally he puts himself in the right places to intercept and can also rob the ball off opponents. 

For those reasons I'd stick with him because I think those benefits still outweigh what Longstaff and Willock bring, not to mention their levels of performance just generally not being anywhere near as high as Joe's this season. 

Plus he's just fucking lush, I can't get enough of his immense turnaround, and surely we all want to see a Brazilian pair tearing it up in the middle of the park for Newcastle?

Dubravka

Trippier        Schar            Burn         Targett 

Shelvey

Bruno                 Joelinton

Fraser                                                     ASM

Wood

Wouldn't be averse to Murphy having a run out ahead of Fraser mind. 

Fraser has look lively and a threat but if he doesn't start scoring or getting assists I agree. 

I think Joelinton should be our furthest back midfielder personally. There aren't many midfielders in his mould so see a lot of "he can't play here" etc but if he limits his game he has everything needed to mop up in the middle and get it to Bruno or someone else 

He's an absolute beast, he wins everything and reads the game well. He can pass and carry the ball well but but one he takes it past a certain point he doesn't have enough to create or score. 

8 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

I would also like to see Joelinton out wide again, he looked really good in those kind of positions in the first games under Howe. I think it would allow for a better balance in midfield too. 

I do think this could be his best position. Either playing as a wide midfielder in a midfield 4 or playing as a wide attacker in a front 3. He can do his defensive duties and press in both of those roles and neither would really rely on him scoring. Definitely wouldn't want to use him every week as part of a 2. He does a good job in a midfield 3 though but I don't think that'll be forever.

Dubravka

Trippier  Schar  Burn  Targett

Shelvey  Bruno

Joelinton     Willock       ASM

Wood

Fraser does nothing. Trippier and Targett can get crosses in for Wood. Joe can play anywhere in those 6 positions and Willock/ASM can be fluid as needed. 

Just now, Barnes23 said:

It's because Schar in a back 4 may not be ideal, but Lascelles is a liability in general.

Switzerland frequently play a back four, as recently as their draw against Italy when they qualified for the World Cup, a match that Schär playedin; I’m not convinced by the argument that he’s only suited to a back three. In fact he was our best defender v Leeds in a back four