Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We tried for loanees but no-one was playing ball with us (Gallagher, Berge...)

I'd rather we signed no-one than someone for the sake of it just because they're available but not who we really want. 

Particularly on the personality front, protecting what we've got is our highest priority. It's one of the few blessings we have from the pre-takeover days. If we like the look of someone but believe they'll detract off the pitch, it's worth just hanging on for the right one. With our consistent financial backing, we have that luxury.

6 hours ago, OCK said:

Ant and Dec Rice would be interesting. If anyone else tries to use that term, I'll report them. 

If he signs that’s the new and latest bromance, Antony Gordon and Declan Rice

13 hours ago, Shak said:

It's almost certainly a bit of recency bias but I'm leaning more towards bringing in a true DM and allowing Bruno to play further forward.

With the way he plays the game he's going to get caught in possession a decent bit and you don't want that from your deepest midfielder. I wouldn't want him to really change the way he plays either, you want him taking risks on the ball.

Also, against top passing teams who can beat our press and get the ball forward I don't know if he offers much protection to the back four?

Would love Rice here, think he'd be perfect in that role. Whoever we do get has to be really comfortable on the ball, Bruno's ability to receive it deep and start attacks from deep is crucial to how we play. Doesn't have to be a passer on Bruno's level, but someone who can at least receive it deep, beat a press and play a positive pass when needed.

Would be excited to seea fully fit Bruno in a more advanced position, think he's got goals in him. Can obviously cover the #6 position too.

image.thumb.jpeg.302072d4f84e5296e121434494c78964.jpeg

I still think a 'true' DM would be too restrictive for a Howe squad. We need another midfielder of Longstaff's ilk, someone who can rotate in-game to play deeper or further forward depending on gamestate and is capable of reading danger in deeper areas better than Jo & Joe. We tried this on the weekend with Joelinton dropping deeper but it's just not suited to his strengths to play that way especially against a really fluid midfield like Arsenal's.

Rice is probably the best fit for this but just can't see us going for his price tag or winning the battle to get him. Thuram, maybe?

^ Thuram, Manu Kone both have the engines to play the role Longstaff plays but can also play as the base or holding player.  

^ Rice, obviously can do it.

^ Maxence Caqueret played with Bruno at OL and can also pay the 6, 8 role and do so in a double pivot with Bruno. 

^ Ugarte is probably a more Bruno-esque clone in that he plays the holding role with similar skillset (I believe) 

Edited by Kanji

On 07/05/2023 at 19:01, mighty__mag said:

This reminds me of when ASM has bad game, he gets knackers in his thread singling him out.

Bruno is consistently brilliant, he has a poor game and everyone shits themselves.

Think about all these lads all season working there bollox off, overachieving, playing literally every game if they're fit, taking us to a cup final, then also think about the opposition having their own motivation to do just as well, we were cancelled out by some of our own weak points, lack of chances converted, Arsenal taking their chances and working just as hard as us, and obviously Arsenal's game management or lying on the ground a lot. 

Nobody should complain about anyone of these players this season, they've gone above and beyond everyone's expectations.

I think this post sums it all up to be fair.

Excellent post.

41 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

Yep he’s been working with only one good foot for weeks now and some people have the cheek to slag him off 

I think slagging him off is a bit drastic like [emoji38].

He was poor against arsenal but I think most understand he is playing through something just to see us over the line. 

He still had a poor game on Sunday but it's down to EH whether or not he carries on playing him or we go with what we've got to secure CL.

Unless I missed something from the abortion that is matchday threads [emoji38]

Feel like some people are a bit over protective? :lol:

Some people points out he had a poor game against Arsenal and others interpret that as these people saying Bruno is shit. Yes, he is allowed to have a poor game, even two or three, maybe even four. I don't think calling a poor performance poor is slagging him off (unless people are calling out bed wetters in the match thread and not people in this thread).

"As phenomenal as he has been, is there a game against the very top teams where he has dominated/played a blinder?" gets interpreted to "Bruno isn't good enough to play against the top teams" which is not what is being said. Bruno has played well against top teams as far as I can remember, but I think the observation is fair that he hasn't dominated a game against top sides?

Easy to forget that, at 25, he probably isn't the finished product, either. He arrived and immediately looked elite so you assume he hasn't got much higher to go, whereas in reality his performances have been at a lower level since late Autumn, even before the injury. His improvement as a player will be represented by him sustaining the ridiculously high levels he was achieving in August/September. 

Excited to see him come back fit and refreshed, hopefully without too much of an interrupted pre-season (assuming he does need to go under the knife). 

I’m firmly in the he’s better further up the pitch camp. Sure, he can play the deeper role and play it really well but I think we miss his goal threat and some of his key passes near the opposition goal. 

Also, if he does lose the ball which he will at times being the type of player he is then it’ll be further up the pitch and not so near to our goal, which isn’t always ideal. 

Edited by LV

Bruno G in not being perfect shocker.

Tactically - Bruno is flexible so we need a team that can be flexible with him. Teams need to worry about him both at 6 & 8 and less teams will be able to solve both problems.

He does need to understand when he needs to move the ball quicker.