Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

Some random Bruno league stats:

- Our record with him this season: 14W, 7D, 1L

- Our record without him: 0W, 4D, 2L

- As a starter he’s lost five games ever

- In the last calendar year he has started 30 games. We’ve won 20, drawn 7, and lost 3.

- 2 of the 3 losses were away to Man City

- As a starter he’s only ever lost ONE game at SJP (0-1 to Liverpool)

There may be a few better players in the league, but you’d be hard pressed to find one more important to their team.

I literally can’t get my head around how we managed to sign him when we were relegation fodder! I’m not being deluded here but he’d walk into any team in the league! He’s not only a magnificent player but he’s also a magnificent person! 

Watching him on Wednesday, I'm getting less and less sold on this idea of replacing him and moving him further upfield. In our current system, he's doing so well where he is, and in practice he is able to get forward quite a lot. He seems to love being at the heart of the team, and relishes the responsibility.

Maybe a midfield player who could deputise there in the event of his absence, but who would usually play box to box. Dare I say, that may be what Eddie has in mind with McTominay.

Not saying he's necessarily right, but he nearly always is.

You can see what a massive difference it makes having players with top top technical quality and ability like Isak and Bruno. To get to the next level and compete at the top we need players like these with ridiculous technical ability on top of their other strengths.

It doesn’t mean that we can’t find or buy slightly cheaper players. But McTommy isn’t the answer. Technical ability, can’t stress it enough in todays football. 

Edited by Ikon

5 hours ago, hakka said:

I loved that moment. To do that in front of your box is so risky, yet with him I am in no doubt he will pull it off.

I remember when he first signed how nervous some would get when he had the ball deep in our half, under pressure and was cool as fuck.

Now the crowd are used to how good he is, there's no nervousness at all, no shouting "man-on" or nothing, just complete faith in his ability.

2 hours ago, Holloway said:

I'm firmly in the camp of getting a mobile dm in to free up Bruno, he got beasted in a couple of tackles just outside our box, he's not such a strong ballwinner

For the Isak goal, it him to won the ball back and then passes it to Joelinton -> Wilson -> Isak. 

Bruno is actually standing at the 90th percentile for tackles per game, and 72nd percentile for tackles won per game. I think he’s doing alright when it comes to winning the ball. But I do agree that we need another DM as Bruno is just phenomenal near the opponent’s box if we play 4-3-3. After today’s match, I am starting to think Eddie might try the 4-4-2 more often with Bruno and J7 as the central midfielders. 

3 hours ago, Sean said:

I remember when he first signed how nervous some would get when he had the ball deep in our half, under pressure and was cool as fuck.

Now the crowd are used to how good he is, there's no nervousness at all, no shouting "man-on" or nothing, just complete faith in his ability.

I was in love from the moment he came on for the last 5 minutes against Everton and backheeled it between two players to a teammate in his own corner from about 10 yards away. It was absolutely outrageous.

I think I said early on in his time here, that he’s the best player I’ve ever seen play for us. He’s so composed on the ball, calms everything down and just oozes class, it’s like he’s playing the game in slow motion. We’re so lucky to have him