Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

Love Bruno but today was the kind of game where you need a player like him with his quality to step up and try to get a foothold on it. Can't do it on his own but he wasn't anywhere near sadly.

Edited by Smal

He was surrounded by 3 players at most points of the game, had very little support. Villa clearly targeted him as they know most of our play goes through him, on occasions like this our other midfielders really need for step up and take the pressure off him. But I don't think we played well in any position.

Edited by pubteam

9 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Don't think it's a case of fitness. He was just as shite as the other 10 on the pitch. 

Yes he was awful today.  However whisper it as he is a god on this forum.  It was Gordon's fault!

I think Bruno tried at times, there was some individual bits of play that brought no reward or was completely wasted by other players. 

At times when we hoy joelinton in there we don't seem to be as fluid, that's maybe a bit speculation but dropping a fully fit longstaff who is everywhere was the most dubious decision 

On 06/04/2023 at 12:20, LFEE said:

No he wasn’t 🙂 He was better second half and more so because WHU had dropped off badly after conceding the third but was overrun the first half.

Still waiting for him to dominate a top team away from home. Watched Enzo properly for the first time on Tuesday and you can see what the extra £65m gives you as ridiculous as that fee was. The extra pace, power and mobility. That bit extra top midfielders have.

Still love him though 😊 Hope he makes me eat my words at Stamford Bridge last game of the season if there’s something to play for.

Couldn’t be bothered to re type. He’s very good but let’s not blind ourselves.

9 hours ago, LFEE said:

Couldn’t be bothered to re type. He’s very good but let’s not blind ourselves.

I said something along the same lines early on about his only weakness being lack of athleticism and got roasted for it, but he does lack a bit of pace, and that's his only fault. Never really seen us get overrun like that before in midfield though, so I think we just got our shape wrong in general, none of the midfielders had a good game.

It’s not just Bruno’s lack of pace, it’s that none of our midfielders ever effectively sit in front or back 4. With our system and our use of the high press, all the midfielders need to move up to cover the passing options through the middle.

It does mean though that a team can go diagonally from the back, miss out our press and then find a massive gap in front of our back 4. 
I mean, Bournemouth did it to us with some ease if we’re honest. They just didn’t have the quality to capitalise.

We need to be a bit more flexible tactically. I’m sure that’s kind of obvious by now.

EH will, I have no doubt seen it. Hopefully we’ll start to see the plan b and c options take shape next season.

3 hours ago, Lotus said:

It’s not just Bruno’s lack of pace, it’s that none of our midfielders ever effectively sit in front or back 4. With our system and our use of the high press, all the midfielders need to move up to cover the passing options through the middle.

It does mean though that a team can go diagonally from the back, miss out our press and then find a massive gap in front of our back 4. 
I mean, Bournemouth did it to us with some ease if we’re honest. They just didn’t have the quality to capitalise.

We need to be a bit more flexible tactically. I’m sure that’s kind of obvious by now.

EH will, I have no doubt seen it. Hopefully we’ll start to see the plan b and c options take shape next season.

I think that's a decent observation. The press is great if we can rattle teams with that intensity, but if it's slightly off then it can be picked apart as happened yesterday.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

As Mike said in the match thread, have Spurs never watched Bruno? :lol: Sometimes marking him isn't enough anyway, but not doing it is proper suicide 

Also didnt bother with Trippier. So Bruno and Trippier had a free game. The story of our success, and you give them all freedom they want 

The way he was limping at about 25 minutes was terrifying and I was worried that'd take the shine off the result, but he just recovered and was running about the rest of the game like it never happened. Love him.