Mason Greenwood

mouldy_uk

39 minutes ago, enthusiast said:

that's one way of putting it

LgHzlg7.jpg

Was racking my brain wondering if there was a second tweet on the plane to Africa scenario after reading that post.   I can't think of a more inaccurate way of describing that fiasco [emoji38]

Roseanne should've said that when her show got cancelled - "I wasn't being a piece of shit, I was being ironic." 

Edited by Pandamninator

If he'd posted that 10 year ago and it had been dragged up I'd agree like, but he posted it a few days ago. You cannot drag your employers name through the mud in such an obviously thick way and not expect the sack like.

I'd feel differently if he'd been secretly recorded down the pub or something.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

3 hours ago, Kaizero said:

Just a sidenote, but how can one be "further arrested"? Surely it's "further charged"? Did they put two pairs of handcuffs on him to further arrest him?

Additional crimes he hadn't been arrested/charged for/with.

Edited by relámpago blanco

Oh aye, I'm not arguing the merits of whether or not he deserved the sack or not, it was at best an ill informed comment to make.

I was more commenting on the individuals aiming to get him sacked and that it sets a dangerous precedent.

With impeccable timing Raith Rovers have signed David Goodwillie, causing "Rape Rovers" to trend on Twitter and their women's captain to resign.  Club statement basically "He rapes, but he also scores, and he scores more than he rapes."

Accepts responsibility for the idiocy of the tweet but not the repercussions of his actions, aye OK then. Would have been better to just hold his hands up, take the L and try to hold on to the tatters of his career, doubling down does him no favours.

3 hours ago, Rafalove said:

It’s a free speech issue surely?

He does have free speech. He was absolutely free to write what he wrote - Nobody stopped him.

This is the thing though that people always forget - freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences. You have the right to be as horrible as you want, but in return people have the right to judge you on that. In this case, he was judged to be no longer needed by his employer.

When you decide you want to tweet stuff like that and then share it with the entire (twitter) world then you're taking a hell of a chance. I've got very little sympathy for him if it's eventually caught up with him, he's the victim of his own stupidity. 

Just one more example to stay a million miles away from twitter. 

Twitter convinced a generation that every single thought they'd pop in a text message to a mate or a group chat was worth broadcasting and wouldn't cause problems. People liked his tweet, so some clearly found it funny, but I found it horribly crass and insensitive. To drag us into things only made it worse, and his apology suggested he hadn't learned much from it. 

Has he even apologised ? He just seemed to blame all Newcastle fans and then said the only reason he deleted the tweet was because his employers told him to, personally if he was a binman or bricklayer I think his company wouldn't even care but in his role image is important, I totally agree with everyone on here though, if you can't stay off social media then try to be as bland and neutral as possible, cheap laughs off strangers is pretty pointless.

Surely nobody needed to bring it to the attention of his employer anyway, it was public to start with.

The force he wanted to use to get a reaction has resulted in a strong reaction, that was the intent. Unfortunately for him the opinion was very ill-advised, and his employer didn’t want to be associated with it. 

Aye his tweet being aimed at trying to rile a specific group of people up got it's obvious and intended reaction. There are many things he could have done which would have got him unfairly targeted, but I don't think what he did was one of them.

FWIW you absolutely SHOULD be allowed to "joke about rape" etc, it's just harder to pull off than joking about your ma's Sunday dinners, so unfunny cunts with their job in their twitter profile should probably stay away from it.

I joke about horrific shit all the time but I've never done it in a place where my boss is obviously going to publicly see or hear about it [emoji38] Certainly if the subject at hand involved a rape victim who has just recently been thrown into the public eye.

It's insane behaviour.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Joke about rape all you like if you’re a comedian or having ‘bangs’ with mates and everyone knows it’s a joke (not my cup of tea mind), but to make light of it just to make some stupid backwards point and to rile people up while also being insensitive to the situation and the actual act of rape and abuse, while logged into Twitter under the handle of who you work for, well it’s fucking rancid, stupid, pathetic and he deserves to get sacked and deserves to be banned from Twitter too, maybe it will save his life!

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Not sure he deserves to be banned from Twitter like. Like we don't need to destroy his entire career over it or out[emoji38]

Agree with the rest though.

This is what I was getting at yesterday, but didn't articulate it particularly well.

14 minutes ago, alijmitchell said:

How is it that people in 2022 still don’t understand that Twitter is completely public? 

I think it's almost the other way round, people now think that everything you/they say should be public and it has some kind of inherent value.

I can't cope with Twitter just because of the volume of content. After I get to following about 30 people I feel swamped. Haven't used it for years.