Mason Greenwood

mouldy_uk

24 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Not sure he deserves to be banned from Twitter like. Like we don't need to destroy his entire career over it or out[emoji38]

Agree with the rest though.

Nah ban him and all other trolls, again maybe it will make people think twice next and might save his life as people are too consumed to the detriment of their lives by social media!

Edited by HTT II

50 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think it's almost the other way round, people now think that everything you/they say should be public and it has some kind of inherent value.

I can't cope with Twitter just because of the volume of content. After I get to following about 30 people I feel swamped. Haven't used it for years.

Yeah you’re right actually. It’s just endless endless noise and emptiness. I had to come off it (and all the others) because I could clearly see how depressed/angry it was making me.

Guest carpetman1
12 hours ago, elbee909 said:

Read it in an Alan Partridge voice. "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."

“Everything comes around, like trainers in a washing machine”

Didn’t he work for a media company? Although he comes across as a twat I don’t enjoy seeing someone lose their job over that but he should’ve known that it would come back and bite him on the arse. Twitter is absolutely full of people of all different views and persuasions who seem to like grassing people up to their employers over stuff like this. Suspect he was half cut when he did it. I hate Twitter I might add. It’s a cesspit 

26 minutes ago, alijmitchell said:

Yeah you’re right actually. It’s just endless endless noise and emptiness. I had to come off it (and all the others) because I could clearly see how depressed/angry it was making me.

I used to feel this way about Twitter and before that Facebook.  I used to argue with someone on it every day and would get so wound up.  

I think it has actually helped me be a bit more patient in this regard.  I barely use FB these days, as it's total shite.  But with Twitter, I can read stuff and skim comments without feeling the urge to get into a petty squabble.  Some real gold on there, amongst all the shite.  Plus it's useful for keeping up to date with my interests.

Anyway, Greenwood seems like a right wron'un. 

4 minutes ago, Detritus Bramble said:

Didn’t he work for a media company? Although he comes across as a twat I don’t enjoy seeing someone lose their job over that but he should’ve known that it would come back and bite him on the arse. Twitter is absolutely full of people of all different views and persuasions who seem to like grassing people up to their employers over stuff like this. Suspect he was half cut when he did it. I hate Twitter I might add. It’s a cesspit 

I suspect he was not, given that he doubled down on his idiocy after being sacked. Unless he’s pissed every day, of course…

Tried to avoid this Greenwood shit as it completely turns my stomach. Got 2 sisters under 21 and a 2 year old daughter and the thought of anybody doing anything similar is one of the worst things that can come into my head, hence avoiding it. I watched my own Mother get thrown about the house as a child from an alcoholic, pathetic excuse of a 'step-father'. This incident with Greenwood did hit home. I heard the audio when my Mrs showed me and I just couldn't believe it. It's really sad that the girl felt the need to record the abuse, but thank God she did. That clearly shows that it wasn't an isolated incident and she was expecting it. Fucking heartbreaking, man.

Thankfully, I've not seen anybody defend Greenwood, despite people indicating there have been examples of this. I do hate seeing people say 'he's fucked his career'. Fuck that. He's fucked her life. That's the crucial bit here. Her life is worth a million careers. Fuck him and anyone who says this.

Now in no way shape or form am I defending Greenwood - he's a fucking scumbag and should see out his days behind bars - but I do think (people have maybe touched on this but I've kept away from thread) that it's just the finest example of the way we treat young footballers. Probably since he was 8/9 years old, he's had everyone tell him he's fucking amazing. He can't be touched. Had absolutely everything on a plate for him from a young age, and likely a multi-millionaire whilst a teenager. Probably feels like God to his school mates/family, so the fucking prick has decided he can treat a woman's body like an object. A toy he can just abuse at will. It's nauseating, I hope the poor girl and her family get all of the support they need. I almost feel guilty typing that as it seems like a defence - it really isn't. I'm just trying to say that footballers, especially high profile players at big clubs get treat like royalty from a young age, although absolutely no excuse to abuse a woman (or anybody).

Obviously there is thousands and thousands of examples of decent young men who've had the above treatment and not done this. Thankfully, he is an anomaly (that we know of). I can't see any logical reason why he won't go to prison, and I hope his family disown him. The sad thing is when he eventually leaves prison, he'll still be sitting on a fortune. Is there any way he can have his career earnings seized, or is that ridiculous? I have no idea if it's possible from a court/legal perspective.

It's really sad that she will remember the abuse forever. When she makes new intimate relationships, she will likely always remember the abuse she suffered in her early adult life, at the hands of someone she trusted. She really will need help and I'm confident she will get it. I hope Man Utd - none of this is their fault of course - can try to offer some form of support in private. It would be a nice touch if she could get the best possible professional help without any financial outlay, as she's probably just a normal girl from a normal family. I really do send all of my love to her - she is so, so strong. Probably more than she knows in her young age.

The point that I was clumsily trying to make yesterday is that regardless of the comments in question, is that I'm uncomfortable with the social media pile-on that followed afterwards.

The comment itself was as thick as fuck. He's used a shocking news story to try and rile folks up under his employers Twitter handle. Similarly regarding the lass on the previous page, she's probably guilty of ill judgement more so than being a swivel eyed racist, but regardless of the intention behind them, I think we can all agree said comments were very poor taste.

Given the comments are in the public domain, these people can't have any real complaints if their employer picks them up and deems them sack-worthy, particularly given they both worked in communications and/or PR.

That said, as a fellow Twitter user, how far do I take it upon myself to ensure they get the punishment that I feel they deserve? Do I try and get them fired? Hurl vile abuse at them? Threaten them? Leak their private details? (All of which have been done in the name of vigilante justice). At what point have I also crossed the line?

Do we limit this to social media? What about the geezer who made an innuendo about the size of his knob in front of his mates at work (he worked at a tech firm). A lass in nearby, took offence, took a picture of him and sent it to his manager and he was fired. Again, he's guilty of being crass and inappropriate, but did he deserve to be fired? Perhaps he did, but was that punishment enough by the standards of those offended?

I also think while people are incredibly dumb to make these comments in the public domain, should I check myself before I proceed on my moral crusade to ruin their lives? Have I ever been guilty of inappropriate behaviour? Have my friends ever made crass or offensive jokes? Do they deserve to be fired, abused and have their lives made a misery of as a result of those comments? 

I just feel it's a very slippery slope. I wasn't excusing the comments in question, as its fairly obvious they're not great. It was more so a comment on those seeking to get him fired and sending him abuse.

1 hour ago, Chicken Dancer said:

Tried to avoid this Greenwood shit as it completely turns my stomach. Got 2 sisters under 21 and a 2 year old daughter and the thought of anybody doing anything similar is one of the worst things that can come into my head, hence avoiding it. I watched my own Mother get thrown about the house as a child from an alcoholic, pathetic excuse of a 'step-father'. This incident with Greenwood did hit home. I heard the audio when my Mrs showed me and I just couldn't believe it. It's really sad that the girl felt the need to record the abuse, but thank God she did. That clearly shows that it wasn't an isolated incident and she was expecting it. Fucking heartbreaking, man.

Thankfully, I've not seen anybody defend Greenwood, despite people indicating there have been examples of this. I do hate seeing people say 'he's fucked his career'. Fuck that. He's fucked her life. That's the crucial bit here. Her life is worth a million careers. Fuck him and anyone who says this.

Now in no way shape or form am I defending Greenwood - he's a fucking scumbag and should see out his days behind bars - but I do think (people have maybe touched on this but I've kept away from thread) that it's just the finest example of the way we treat young footballers. Probably since he was 8/9 years old, he's had everyone tell him he's fucking amazing. He can't be touched. Had absolutely everything on a plate for him from a young age, and likely a multi-millionaire whilst a teenager. Probably feels like God to his school mates/family, so the fucking prick has decided he can treat a woman's body like an object. A toy he can just abuse at will. It's nauseating, I hope the poor girl and her family get all of the support they need. I almost feel guilty typing that as it seems like a defence - it really isn't. I'm just trying to say that footballers, especially high profile players at big clubs get treat like royalty from a young age, although absolutely no excuse to abuse a woman (or anybody).

Obviously there is thousands and thousands of examples of decent young men who've had the above treatment and not done this. Thankfully, he is an anomaly (that we know of). I can't see any logical reason why he won't go to prison, and I hope his family disown him. The sad thing is when he eventually leaves prison, he'll still be sitting on a fortune. Is there any way he can have his career earnings seized, or is that ridiculous? I have no idea if it's possible from a court/legal perspective.

It's really sad that she will remember the abuse forever. When she makes new intimate relationships, she will likely always remember the abuse she suffered in her early adult life, at the hands of someone she trusted. She really will need help and I'm confident she will get it. I hope Man Utd - none of this is their fault of course - can try to offer some form of support in private. It would be a nice touch if she could get the best possible professional help without any financial outlay, as she's probably just a normal girl from a normal family. I really do send all of my love to her - she is so, so strong. Probably more than she knows in her young age.

Great points, well made. Sorry to read about your early experiences. All credit to you that it has put your good human values in sharper focus. 

This Simon Gwynn bloke is obviously a moron but rightly or wrongly I’m a sympathetic guy and don’t want to justify abuse on Twitter in response to something people obviously regret. A lot of morons post on Twitter for attention, but if they really knew what the consequences of their actions would be they’d take them back. I know it’s a pretty extreme comparison but it all seems acceptable until you have a Caroline Flack situation. Wouldn’t be surprised if people had condemned the abuse to her after her tragic suicide but not in other situations where you don’t hear of any terrible consequences. 

As for the vile footballer, I’m still a bit disturbed and that’s just from listening to a short audio clip. Footballers having rape and domestic abuse arrests is (sadly) nothing new, but we understandably feel so distant from it all just by reading or hearing about it rather than potentially hearing it happen. Absolutely horrible stuff and can only praise the poor victim for speaking up and hope she gets the support needed. 

Edited by St. Maximin

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

The point that I was clumsily trying to make yesterday is that regardless of the comments in question, is that I'm uncomfortable with the social media pile-on that followed afterwards.

The comment itself was as thick as fuck. He's used a shocking news story to try and rile folks up under his employers Twitter handle. Similarly regarding the lass on the previous page, she's probably guilty of ill judgement more so than being a swivel eyed racist, but regardless of the intention behind them, I think we can all agree said comments were very poor taste.

Given the comments are in the public domain, these people can't have any real complaints if their employer picks them up and deems them sack-worthy, particularly given they both worked in communications and/or PR.

That said, as a fellow Twitter user, how far do I take it upon myself to ensure they get the punishment that I feel they deserve? Do I try and get them fired? Hurl vile abuse at them? Threaten them? Leak their private details? (All of which have been done in the name of vigilante justice). At what point have I also crossed the line?

Do we limit this to social media? What about the geezer who made an innuendo about the size of his knob in front of his mates at work (he worked at a tech firm). A lass in nearby, took offence, took a picture of him and sent it to his manager and he was fired. Again, he's guilty of being crass and inappropriate, but did he deserve to be fired? Perhaps he did, but was that punishment enough by the standards of those offended?

I also think while people are incredibly dumb to make these comments in the public domain, should I check myself before I proceed on my moral crusade to ruin their lives? Have I ever been guilty of inappropriate behaviour? Have my friends ever made crass or offensive jokes? Do they deserve to be fired, abused and have their lives made a misery of as a result of those comments? 

I just feel it's a very slippery slope. I wasn't excusing the comments in question, as its fairly obvious they're not great. It was more so a comment on those seeking to get him fired and sending him abuse.

Yeah, I’m very uncomfortable with any kind of mob justice.

Actually I didn’t even consider that when I heard he’d been sacked, I just assumed the reaction the tweet generated had brought it to the attention of his employer.

That would be slightly different to him being sacked ‘because of people on Twitter’. That would just be saying something that lots of people didn’t like, which then became something his employer didn’t like either. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

39 minutes ago, LFEE said:

These genuine…

It's genuinely fascinating to me that somebody could see that and not wish to apply even the most basic aspect of critical thinking. Literally nobody in the replies has thought "What am I actually looking at there, what is the context of that?" - that absolutely boggles my mind, to not want to check the source of something before you make a judgement on it.

He's transcribing live there during a talk from a Women in Journalism event about the abuse received by lesbians in the industry, presumably as part of his job at the time.

k64PdjD.png

And it's this guy, whoever he is (?), that according to the replies I'm meant to be believe is "sickening", "a danger", "absolutely disgusting", rather than 'bethnufc3' who has cut the context out of an 8 year old work tweet in order to make out that this random bloke who had a dig at the owners of her favourite football team is running round making rape gags.

Some people have lost their fucking minds, seriously.

I think I posted on this board the other day saying this - it's literally a cult. "Celebrity" is a cult - that includes athletes and teams. Their fans are actually followers who immediately look to defend them above all else. Rational thinking be damned, how do I defend my leader?

7 hours ago, Thiago said:

Twitter convinced a generation that every single thought they'd pop in a text message to a mate or a group chat was worth broadcasting and wouldn't cause problems. People liked his tweet, so some clearly found it funny, but I found it horribly crass and insensitive. To drag us into things only made it worse, and his apology suggested he hadn't learned much from it. 

It's a good point, and a big problem imo - it's even creeping into this forum. too many people quick to share uninformed opinions on something they really have no business talking about.

I'm not even sure there's a solution either, the horse has bolted. We're a species of attention seeking gobshites.

Would love to know how you thread the needle of abhorring rape and what Mason Greenwood's done, while also defending the club's owners to the extent that you'll get someone fired or laud him being fired for drawing a line between the two. 

... and some think that sportswashing isn't really a thing.

You read his post, see Newcastle United and think 'that's me, that's my club, its history, its players, Amanda and Mahrdad' and think what he's saying is disgusting based on that, not even stopping to think for a second that he obviously means the 80% owner and that ultimately what he's saying, beyond being tasteless, isn't particularly controversial.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Would love to know how you thread the needle of abhorring rape and what Mason Greenwood's done, while also defending the club's owners to the extent that you'll get someone fired or laud him being fired for drawing a line to your club's owners. 

... and some think that sportswashing isn't really a thing.

You read his post, see Newcastle United and think 'that's me, that's my club, its history, its players, Amanda and Mahrdad' and think what he's saying is disgusting based on that, not even stopping to think for a second that he obviously means the 80% owner and that ultimately what he's saying isn't particularly controversial.

Then go after them without using the Greenwood thing as a stick to basically bash NUFC with, I’d have far more respect for anyone that used their platform to highlight the atrocities committed by SA that didn’t include some form of bias or an agenda behind it, he clearly tweeted what he did for a reaction and he got one, only it backfired and he’s lost his job. Boo hoo, someone should tell him to man up…

Sportswashing hasn’t lost him his job, him being a fuckimg rectangle has!