Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

The Lodi link seems like there’s something in it. If we are planning on signing him I can’t see us signing Targett. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to sign both but difficult moving loads of players on.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

You can make a case that Lewis hasn’t had a chance yet but where say Joelinton showed signs of talent in there, I don’t think we can say the same in his case. I can’t remember one good game that he’s had in the shirt.

You have to trust Howe but you’d really wonder what he’s seen to even consider him as an option instead of Targett

You've got to trust Howe, especially if attacking full backs are critical to how he wants us to play, but I really will be gutted if we don't keep Targett like. Not keeping someone that good feels alien, he's been magnificent.

No risk because he's a known quality.

An 8/9 defensively every week and a 7 overall

And he can improve his attacking play

Let's hope that if he does go it's a Kelly to Beardsley and Sellars to Ginola situation where no one wanted Kelly or Sellars to go but then we immediately got it once we saw Beardsley and Ginola.

22 minutes ago, Yassassin said:

Slower than my broadband 

He was their player of the year. Brighton certainly won't sell him anytime soon but would love someone like him.

He may be a mackem, but he does know his stuff - and I've always agreed with Jonathan Wilson's take on the unrecognised importance of full backs (he voiced that if you want to know who is likely to win a World Cup, look for the team with the best full backs).

A player of Trippier's quality on the left would make a massive difference for next season - someone like Lodi would certainly represent that.  Like most on here, I think Targett has done a cracking job; but if we don't sign him, I'm assuming it is because Howe has his sights set elsewhere, and I'll trust his judgement on this one.  This doesn't mean I'd be disappointed if Targett walked back through the doors though.

41 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He may be a mackem, but he does know his stuff - and I've always agreed with Jonathan Wilson's take on the unrecognised importance of full backs (he voiced that if you want to know who is likely to win a World Cup, look for the team with the best full backs).

A player of Trippier's quality on the left would make a massive difference for next season - someone like Lodi would certainly represent that.  Like most on here, I think Targett has done a cracking job; but if we don't sign him, I'm assuming it is because Howe has his sights set elsewhere, and I'll trust his judgement on this one.  This doesn't mean I'd be disappointed if Targett walked back through the doors though.

Seems like a decent price for his quality as a rotational player but he may have politely declined that role. I'd love him back also.

3 hours ago, McDog said:

Seems like a decent price for his quality as a rotaional player but he may have politely declined that role. I'd love him back also.

I imagine this is it. He wanted to leave Villa as soon as they were interested in Digne.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

He was definitely just talking about wanting to stay when he said that. Not about wanting to be first choice, I don’t think anyone expects to be first choice at our club. 

I mean if he found out we were going out to specifically buy a more attackinh player in his position as a priority he may have changed his mind though, it's exactly what happened at Villa. 

It might just be that Howe has decided against the move but it's hard to imagine the logic behind it given how much of a bargain he is at £15m. Even if we're moving more towards wing-backs we could do with a defensively solid fullback on each side.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

As someone who fondly wore Enriqué 3 on the back of our Championship banana-top, I think this lad has been the best left-back we've had in my living memory. Make of that what you will, i.e. our quality in that position over the years really hasn't been great, featuring such gems as Babayaro and Dummett as regulars. I only remember back as far as Beresford and then Pearce, but I don't recall any of our left backs as good off the ball offensively, or as good at striking the ball as Targett. Bernard and Domi were decent, but they were ball carriers rather than playmakers, and defensively they were average. I can't easily compare Targett to anyone we've had in that position before, other than my old favourite player Enriqué defensively. Offensively he's been a revelation, let alone the added threat from set pieces he brings. With him as our left back, we were in Champions League form without even having a decent striker. Then there's his personality, which is absolutely spot on.

I think any other 'better' left back is just unnecessary at the moment when we have other positions that are more pressing - cover/competition for Wilson, a starting right-sided attacker, a world-class centre back and a proper link-up player in the middle. We need to spend wisely and imo the wise choice here is to not look a gift horse in the mouth with Targett.

9 hours ago, HawK said:

As someone who fondly wore Enriqué 3 on the back of our Championship banana-top, I think this lad has been the best left-back we've had in my living memory. Make of that what you will, i.e. our quality in that position over the years really hasn't been great, featuring such gems as Babayaro and Dummett as regulars. I only remember back as far as Beresford and then Pearce, but I don't recall any of our left backs as good off the ball offensively, or as good at striking the ball as Targett. Bernard and Domi were decent, but they were ball carriers rather than playmakers, and defensively they were average. I can't easily compare Targett to anyone we've had in that position before, other than my old favourite player Enriqué defensively. Offensively he's been a revelation, let alone the added threat from set pieces he brings. With him as our left back, we were in Champions League form without even having a decent striker. Then there's his personality, which is absolutely spot on.

I think any other 'better' left back is just unnecessary at the moment when we have other positions that are more pressing - cover/competition for Wilson, a starting right-sided attacker, a world-class centre back and a proper link-up player in the middle. We need to spend wisely and imo the wise choice here is to not look a gift horse in the mouth with Targett.

I was thinking about Enrique as well the other day, it's a good comparison as like Targett, he was a beast of a defender, maybe not outstanding going forward, but not the worst either.

I just think Howe's preferred method of play is going to be based on marauding full backs who can overlap the wide players, and that's not really Targett's game no matter what other qualities he has. It's purely a stylistic decision IMO.

10 hours ago, HawK said:

Don't think Targett matches peak Enrique for us, like, even on a very good day. At his best pretty much nothing got past Enrique whatsoever, whereas we were able to observe Targett's limitations more in games against the top six teams, particularly when it comes to pace.

Describing him as a revelation offensively is also going way over the top, it's the solidity and composure he brought to the left hand side which was so valuable for us in the second half of the season. Offensively he was merely okay imo, and it looks like that may be why we are now weighing up our options.

Edited by Barnes23

Hes a solid set piece taker but he is definitely not as strong offensively. I rated Bernard and Enrique higher than him personally. 

Targett reminds me of Jetro Williams. Not in terms of his playing style but we all wanted them to stay after their successful spell. Jetro potentially with some coaching could have been fantastic. Instead he had cabbage head.