Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

There's a lot of value in a player who definitely gets it in the dressing room, fits in enjoys it, listens to manager and the fans already appreciate. NEw player in may look fantastic on youtube but not fit in, so I would find it slightly extraordinary if we don't sign him. It wouldnt shock me if we bought competition in fairly short order mind, our team needs depth as well. 

1 minute ago, WillingtonMag said:

Be mental not to sign him always a possibility an alternative might flop and we've let a great opportunity pass us by, think of some of the shite we've had at full back over the years man 😂 absolute no brainer.

👍🏻 He’s risk free!

Dunno why it’s even a discussion at all. Signing him is a no-brainer. You could even thrown in Lodi, and we’d actually have something rare called depth and competition. Tasty stuff, I know.  

4 minutes ago, maze said:

Dunno why it’s even a discussion at all. Signing him is a no-brainer. You could even thrown in Lodi, and we’d actually have something rare called depth and competition. Tasty stuff, I know.  

But the first sign of competition / losing his place at Villa he wanted to be away to play regular football, hence the loan. If he comes here permanently, it'll be to play first team football, and Lodi isn't going to switch from At Madrid to play second fiddle to Matt Targett. At this stage of our revival, especially with no European football, it'll be the likes of Dummett, Kraft, Manq, Lewis (minus one if we sell one) providing cover for either Targett or another first choice LB we bring in. We have to ask ourselves if Targett is still the answer in 2 years, if yes, sign him up, if not, possibly look for an upgrade, i.e. Lodi. He would at least be a familiar face should he sign permanently.

8 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

He played every single league game for Villa last season. Also looks like someone we can rely on to be fit most of the time.

He'd still be here but for Gerrard being massive on attacking full backs, and Digne coming in (who is a much better player in general, but also very attack minded).

He did a great job with us, when he had Grealish in front of him, and was very popular with the fans, most of whom can kind of understand why he wanted out when we spent 25m on someone who plays in his position, but are perplexed that we sent him to a team in our 'mini league' or whatever you want to call it.

If he came back here and stayed after the loan, absolutely nobody would be complaining. He's a good player, great attitude, just found himself in an awkward place at that point in time.

I'd love to sign him, he's a very safe pair of hands and I think Lewis will be an able back up option when properly coached.

Good player, great attitude and clearly loves it here, get it done.

24 minutes ago, duo said:

Makes no sense not to sign him - he's earned it that is for sure.

Incentivises any future loans a bit. Instead of that feeling of just filling in and not to bother getting attached, like every permanent signing under Ashley.

Last time he answered a question on Targett he said something like "opinions still need to be formed," so I think the latest ones indicate that it's probably likely we'll go after him. 

Think Eddie’s comments also pretty much confirm we have an option to buy in his loan. 

usually Eddie would say something like ‘he’s Villas player and we have to respect that, we’ll talk to them over the summer etc’

whereas in this case he’s only talking about speaking with Targett directly, which indicates we don’t need to do anything with Villa.

I don't think when we got him we were convinced as a long term option, hence why rumours of Lodi etc have persisted. However he's played so well that it's almost made it difficult to justify not signing him.

It's probably true that he's a player good enough for top 10/8 but not top 4/6. However any other big signing in that position would also be a gamble. 

I think getting him in for consistency and knowing it isn't really a risk is absolutely worth it. Then prioritise improving other positions for now.