Newcastle United vs. Brighton and Hove Albion: 05/03/2022 @ 3pm (No UK TV)

LRD

Next weekend brings up another set of games where a win could see us put more distance between us and that pack. Leeds at Leicester, Burnley home to Chelsea, Watford home to Arsenal, Everton away at Spurs. Would be nice if Brentford didn't get a win an Norwich either.

1 hour ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Hopefully we'll have ASM and Manqi back as well.

Will need them both to win IMO. Brighton are a step up from Brentford, they have given the top sides a hard time even if their recent form has dropped off. A win is there for sure, but a draw wouldn't be the worst result in the world.

Guest neesy111
54 minutes ago, STM said:

Get the fuck out? March 5th? Me too, taking the bairn. Legend.

Was March 5th when Robert scored that free kick against Liverpool, the one featured in goal.

6th.  Calling it my birthday though ;)

Yes remember that Robert goal well.

Also have a good birthday.

Edited by neesy111

Going to this one. Been ages since I’ve got to a home game. A draw wouldn’t be a disaster. They’re still a good team. But even if it isn’t the case. It feels like they always drop off a bit when it seems like they’re guaranteed safety. 

Hopefully Webster is still out. As I don’t think he played today. 

We shouldn't underestimate this lot. Their form seems bad but really it's just a lot of fine margins where wins have ended up draws. I'd like Saint-Maximin back just to give us more balance out wide. 

Howe said something yesterday - if you can't win, don't lose - and I think that's how we should be approaching this.

No better time to be playing them, they've got 4 points from 5 games and haven't scored in the last 3.

At home and with the way we are playing and the confidence the team has, I'm midly confident of a win.

1-0

7 hours ago, gazza ladra said:

We shouldn't overestimate them either.

They won 4 of their first 5 games.  They have won 3 games since September.

They’re good away from home too, excellent counter attacking team. We are a tough no nonsense side though and St James is a difficult place to visit now.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

The confidence I have comes from having a functioning central midfield for the first time I can remember in 2+ years. They'll press well and pass it around a bit, but lack a cutting edge up front. Win the battle in CM and we'll be fine. I trust Targett to keep Lamptey quiet.

It wouldn't be a disaster, and it would keep the unbeaten run going to 8, but while we probably will win one of our remaining matches where we are a significant outsider, I'd consider this to be among 3 of our more favourable 13 games, along with Palace (H) and Norwich (A), so I definitely wouldn't 'take a point' if offered in a hypothetical situation.

It would be a massive boost if we got notch up another win ahead of 3 tricky looking away matches (plus the prospect of the Palace match being rearranged).

Edited by Paullow

On current form a game we should be looking at for three points, horrendous few years when playing Brighton in the Premier League so could see a 1-1 outcome. Hopefully an opportunity to bring Bruno, Manquillo and ASM in ahead of a busy fixture list.

Close game, Brighton play nice football and add to that they’ve been a bit of a bogey team (although that was the Bruce era). Hopefully can get a win though as there’s some tough shit coming up.