Everton 1 - 0 Newcastle United (17/03/2022)

Yorkie

Harsh as fuck that tonight, especially on the back of the bullshit at Chelsea. Thought we did ok, no better than that, looked comfortable for most of the game but got done again. 

2 aways in a week. 2 mistakes, 2 goals conceded and 0 points. We deserved better but football's not like that. 

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

What a terrible evening man. Game was handed to us on a plate and couldn't even secure a point against ten men.

Its a shocking result that, simply not good enough. It’s not an excuse but they look knackered and a bit out of sorts and need a break. To lose a goal at the end again isn’t good enough though.

2 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

The worst thing about tonight (apart from conceding) was how pitiful we were at getting down the flanks all game. We built possession OK but then seemed to lack any penetration once the ball got out wide in the final third. Miggy's run was probably the best of the lot.

I thought Everton were pretty good at doubling up on our wingers. Also Gordon on Bruno clearly worked too in blocking us in the middle and stopping Willock or Joelinton making 1-2 runs playing off him. 

Really needed a rethink in approach but it never happened. 

2 minutes ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

Actually thought Kraft was probably one of our better players today. Tried to get forward, was ok at the back. Others way worse.

In the last 15 gordon had the ball and krafth was sprinting backward backing off at 100mph, honestly one of the worst defenders i have seen.

Before that he must have had a positive pass percentage of about 30%

1 minute ago, Numbers said:

Understand that but fuck me he can't even hold the ball up, make a simple pass, hes terrible.

Agreed he’s poor but Gayle offers nothing in the PL and hes our only other choice. I can’t wait for Wilson to be back so Wood isn’t in the side anymore but until then he’s the best of a bad bunch and we could be helping him by stopping just hoofing constantly to him. 

The good will generated during that nine game run feels like it just evaporated in 90 minutes. 

I think I can ascribe some of tonight to playing three games in a week and being exhausted. We certainly looked a step slower in some phases of the game. That said, when they go down to 10 men, we just didn't exert any control on things and just allowed ourselves to be a patsy in proceedings. It was painfully obvious our solution to a low block is to give it to Saint-Maximin. This is an issue that Howe will need to fix because we're going to face more teams like that as our ambitions rise. 

I also felt like the goal was a harsh reminder of what this squad is - a mediocre bunch with dashes of quality. Some players like Krafth and Murphy are already on the bus out of town, but outside of those signed in January I'm genuinely questioning everyone (Wood is gone imo). Saint-Maximin was again mediocre and running without any purpose. Joe Willock looked like he was on horse tranquilizers for large parts of the game. It's all well and good talking about being part of the 'process' and the 'journey' but I've got no time for fucking sentiment anymore. 

For those piling in on Wood - if we stay up this season, he's done the job he was brought in for. :thup:

I'm disappointed tonight - we looked tired. But we've come a long way in the last couple of months - bit of perspective needed. 17 days until our next game, to recharge.

Wood is make weight.   Just get us to the end of the season and in this division and then please get 2 good strikers in.   Wood and Gayle not good enough for PL and Wilson is to injury prone.    Its clear to see that we are weak on the wings - major upgrades needed!

Hate losing late and hate losing to the Scouse Makems, hope they go down but we aint that lucky!

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Gutting, but hard to read too much into it. The game was chaos with no real football played. 

We can’t keep possession so we’ll continue to be vulnerable to these kind of games. 

We've kept possession plenty recently. Tonight it seemed like we were too impatient in one way or another.

Edited by Kid Icarus

A bit of context needs to be had with this I suppose.

It was a really frustrating result, particularly given how apparent the opportunity was there to get three points and the position we found ourselves in at the point they scored; but the players have been working and training out of their skin for the past couple of months and the pile up of games has clearly led to them running out of steam. I think it's been quite evident in the last few games and I've also no doubt the injuries are a result of the intensity with which Howe works as well.

It can't be understated just how unsustainably incredible the run we've had has been this year. Hopefully we've done enough and got enough to see us through the remaining games successfully.

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

I think a lot of that second half can be attributed to three away games in a week, and several illnesses / injuries disrupting the squad.

Not overly worried at all. Still think we’re 99% certain to stay up.

This. We've been brilliant in 2022. Our first poor performance tonight. Dust ourselves down and move on.