Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

I wondered if it might happen. He’s been around for a long time and worked in different structures but has clearly done some very good work. Really depends on what his overall skill set looks like. On the face of it, it doesn’t seem ambitious but none of us are in a position to judge 

17 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

...but I was reliably informed Howe constantly overrules him in pursuit of his own interests.

I heard Howe is going to veto Nickson and stick his son in the role.

End of the day, Nickson has seen us at our worst, seen us transitioning, and now worked with someone who themselves commands £20m fees. The club have seen him in action from the start, and seen what Ashworth has brought to the table. If they've decided he's good enough for the step up, or move into a new role, then just accept it as a good move.

The club will also have a pretty good idea what Ashworth thinks is the best setup. Considering Ashworth's reputation it makes sense to promote someone from the inside to mimic/follow Ashworth's model instead of bringing someone new in and potentially blow everything up so quickly.

2 minutes ago, Pata said:

The club will also have a pretty good idea what Ashworth thinks is the best setup. Considering Ashworth's reputation it makes sense to promote someone from the inside to mimic/follow Ashworth's model instead of bringing someone new in and potentially blow everything up so quickly.

Yup. This is what I said last year when this all came out. We have the plan now. The club knows what elite looks like. Of course if would be nice of him to be the one to implement it, but we have everything in place or know where to head. A succession plan for every key person in the business will be in place. Whether internal step ups, or external targets. The lists will be there, what a person needs to develop, and what support is required. 

I still find it mad to think he's leaving this to walk into the mad mess that is manure. The power struggles between ownership, those who still haunt the corridors, and the insane expectations. I think he'll live to regret it.

1 hour ago, Pata said:

I agree and have said the same previously, we have probably already got the best out of Ashworth.

He is a systems and organiser person.

So . . . thanks and goodbye (and thanks for the £20M) !!!!!!

From that piece:

Thirty-three players have taken penalties for Newcastle in the Premier League. Only five of them have never scored for Newcastle from the spot. Name the five.

Spoiler

Cole, Remy, Kenedy, Joselu, Willock

Got Remy, Kenedy and the Jos. Had no idea Willock had taken one. Bruce days I'm guessing?

2 hours ago, Pata said:

Being able to mimic a set up is fine....until it goes wrong and you don't really understand how to fix it.

Nickson might by highly rated as a scout but let's be genuinely honest here making him sporting director makes about as much sense as Ashley putting McLaren on the board of directors.

And it's not exactly like his scouting has been particularly clever or innovative 

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

From that piece:

Thirty-three players have taken penalties for Newcastle in the Premier League. Only five of them have never scored for Newcastle from the spot. Name the five.

Reveal hidden contents

Got Remy, Kenedy and the Jos. Had no idea Willock had taken one. Bruce days I'm guessing?

Spoiler

From memory. Willock took one in the Covid home game with City. I think we lost 4-3. He scored the rebound. 

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

From that piece:

Hide contents

Was a late season 4-3 home loss to City where we got 2 pens, Joelinton scored the other and Willock had it saved by Scotty Carson but slotted in the rebound.

11 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

From that piece:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Still find it hard to believe that Joselu is thriving at Real Madrid.

And Kenedy . . .  This from Wikipedia:

"Kenedy had a particularly poor match in a goalless draw at Cardiff City on 18 August.  He avoided a red card for a kick at Víctor Camarasa, became the first player since 2010 to play a full Premier League first half without completing a pass and his penalty in added time to win the game was saved by Neil Etheridge."

I appreciate I'm probably burnt by Ashley here, but anyone remotely associated with that regime getting some sort of say in terms of our future doesn't sit comfortably.

16 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Just mates meeting for a catch up, until Potter gets the job of course.

Ha aye, I’m sure we’ll be all over this - a sanction that Potter can’t be appointed there for x amount of time surely?

9 hours ago, gjohnson said:

Being able to mimic a set up is fine....until it goes wrong and you don't really understand how to fix it.

Nickson might by highly rated as a scout but let's be genuinely honest here making him sporting director makes about as much sense as Ashley putting McLaren on the board of directors.

And it's not exactly like his scouting has been particularly clever or innovative 

Suspect the whole ‘project’ is on the brink of being downsized to be honest. Which is a shit state of affairs given the fact that the only upside to being owned by cunts was the on pitch success that would follow.