Nick Pope

Rich

Thst save when he tipped Haaland's shot onto the post was sensational and has probably been forgotten a little in regards to how important it was. 2-1 up and he pulls that off and literally a minute later we go up and score a 3rd. If that had of went 2-2 I think we'd have lost. Sky didn't really show any slowmo replays of it, would love to see one from behind the goal. Brilliant signing 👍

1 minute ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

Thst save when he tipped Haaland's shot onto the post was sensational and has probably been forgotten a little in regards to how important it was. 2-1 up and he pulls that off and literally a minute later we go up and score a 3rd. If that had of went 2-2 I think we'd have lost. Sky didn't really show any slowmo replays of it, would love to see one from behind the goal. Brilliant signing 👍

Neither did Peacock but probably the exact same feed. Seems like he tipped it just enough which was huge.

13 minutes ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

Aye. Looked like a miss from Haaland, at first, but it was a perfect shot and an incredible save.

turning out to be a good buy. i didn’t think a keeper upgrade was as important as our outfield players this summer. happy to say i was completely wrong 

Edited by dave s
spelling

Can't remember him making a single mistake today, love the way he just comes out and collects from 70% of crosses, makes a huge difference that. Chance to regroup, reset the formation and 30 seconds of air into the lungs when you're under pressure. Little things make a difference.

Just remembered we bought him from Burnley though and therefore he's automatically definitely absolutely fucking shit. Damn, I was pleased there for a minute or 2 and thought £10m was a bit of a bargain :hmm:

2 minutes ago, midds said:

Can't remember him making a single mistake today, love the way he just comes out and collects from 70% of crosses, makes a huge difference that. Chance to regroup, reset the formation and 30 seconds of air into the lungs when you're under pressure. Little things make a difference.

Just remembered we bought him from Burnley though and therefore he's automatically definitely absolutely fucking shit. Damn, I was pleased there for a minute or 2 and thought £10m was a bit of a bargain :hmm:

3rd in PL clean sheets last season, for relegated Burnley.

Edit: Might have been this year, so includes his two for us.

Edited by Happinesstan

His kicking certainly isn’t his strong suit, certainly clearing back passes. They kept going up high and not a lot of distance, it’s nothing putting on some leg muscle won’t sort out, he is quite thin after all.

But his shot stopping and command of the box are excellent, if he had the other element to his game you’d be looking at a 50m+ keeper. Dubs won’t be playing much if Pope stays fit.

1 hour ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

This bloke's an absolute monster. I like Dubs but he's a level below Pope.

I thought Dubs had a good preseason and could rightly feel aggrieved that Pope hasn't been made to wait for his starting spot like other new signings, but Pope has won us two points in the last two games that we probably wouldn't have otherwise got.

1 hour ago, Dr Jinx said:

His kicking certainly isn’t his strong suit, certainly clearing back passes. They kept going up high and not a lot of distance, it’s nothing putting on some leg muscle won’t sort out, he is quite thin after all.

But his shot stopping and command of the box are excellent, if he had the other element to his game you’d be looking at a 50m+ keeper. Dubs won’t be playing much if Pope stays fit.

It's technique for the kicking more than anything, his body looks awkward.

Immense today though in every other department. I actually think he read where Gundogan was trying to go for the first as well. Ended up being a bit of a lucky finish richocheting off a defender.

7 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Not to criticise Dubs, but we lose that game about 5-2 if he’s playing. 

Nah. I think I still prefer Dubs but it’s close so happy to have both.

Guest HTT II

His long kicking is terrible, but he is so commanding, confident and his instinctive reactions especially using his feet to make saves is exceptional. He’s looking a bargain at 10m.

I was speaking to some lads that know him and the family well the other day and who played with him at Bury Town.  I think pre-Charlton and not long before they signed him.  His kicking was barely amateur level by the sounds of it.  The coach and GK had him working on it a lot away from training and it improved massively.  But I don't think it comes naturally to him and at 30, I don't think it is going to get much better.  

I don't see it as a massive issue.  His throws and quick assessment of what his options are once he has collected the ball are usually spot on.  Kicking out of hand isn't too bad, but it isn't great off the deck.  

I think his other abilities more than make up for it and it's a fair trade off.  If his kicking was even half as good as say Ederson and Alisson.  He wouldn't have been at Burnley so long and he wouldn't be playing for NUFC.  

Didn't realise how much of a unit he is.  He must be about 6ft 7"? 

15 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

My confidence in him grew with each Man City attack. That one where he just stood and seemed to repel Haaland's shot using the force was brilliant. I know it was straight at him but it was with force and he was statuesque..

01FAAAAD-DF6A-4974-A874-AE891F59AF28.thumb.jpeg.21dad18e198d1891b29ec954ed91e071.jpeg

14 hours ago, LFEE said:

Nah. I think I still prefer Dubs but it’s close so happy to have both.

I remember Dubs coming in against Manure and the subsequent games. He brought instant calm and assurance to our backline with a ton of amazing shots stopped. He lost confidence with his injuries and has become more erratic imo. Pope is having the same instant impact he did. Dubs is great though no doubt. 

Theres a vid of Isak coming to the training ground and meeting the players and staff.

He comes into the medical room with Trippier to say hello and has to duck under the doorway - hes at least 6'6 - got to be.