Nick Pope

Rich

13 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Love how quick he is off his line to clear balls over the top. Proper sweeper keeper. Also love how he relieves pressure at the end of games by coming out and plucking the ball out of the air and then falling to the ground and wasting a good half a minute. Celebrated like a goal has been scored too by the fans. 

Love his “starfish” shot stopper

18 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Love how quick he is off his line to clear balls over the top. Proper sweeper keeper. Also love how he relieves pressure at the end of games by coming out and plucking the ball out of the air and then falling to the ground and wasting a good half a minute. Celebrated like a goal has been scored too by the fans. 

He's impressed in many ways but that has been the most impressive

The amount of times with Dubravka in the side you'd see the ball played over the top and he'd stay rooted to his line whereas now I'm confident that Pope is rushing out

It is bound to go wrong at some point but I don't mind that because it mostly goes well

I think they've really simplified his game with his distribution. Basically if Schar or Botman aren't available after he's controlled the ball he just launches it upfield

Certainly don't get as nervous as when the ball went back to Dubravka

Edited by joeyt

Howe did the same with Dubs tbf, think it was @Yorkie who brought the stats up but his numbers were really good playing the ball out. Maybe Ten Haag saw the post and thought he was a great cheap option after seeing De Gea embrace himself at Brentford [emoji38]

During the few games they played together Lascelles, Trippier and Dubravka had a strong passing network as Lascelles would basically come short to take the ball and then give it to Trippier.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

I love his distribution aswell, as soon as he has the ball in his hands he releases it. 

One of my main gripes with Dubravka was that he used to hold the ball for an eternity and kill any chance of a break.

On 21/06/2022 at 18:01, David Edgar said:

Pope will be first choice all season.

Fans have loyalty to Dubravka and a lack of awareness of how much better Pope will be.

:pardsbeard:

Most of the posts at that point were people saying he would be competition to Dubravka or at most, a better backup than Darlow.

When I dug this up, I did see loads of my old posts complaining about his kicking.  Honestly, it now infinitely better.  Howe and the team are magicians.

Yeah, he is fucking class. The sweeper keeper move when they were clean through was huge. The save from Rodrygo looked routine as fuck. But it was actually a top save. 

Still gives me a heart attack when he gets the ball under a bit of pressure, mind :lol: