James Maddison (now playing for Tottenham Hotspur)

The Prophet

I’ve been beating the midfielder drum relentlessly so I’ll say Maddison without doubt. Give Bruno a top class player in front of of him to ping pong with and it’s looking golden in that area. Plus I think it will help us control games better when in possession. Obviously wouldn’t mind a right sided player either. I think we will get one of them too. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

Totally agree but the single signing of Maddison transforms us from upper mid-table to genuine pushers for top 6, imo. Him, Joe and Bruno is an incredible midfield three. 

Controversial but I'm not sold on Maddison being a transformative signing for us. Great player, I'm just not sure what the thinking behind it is at the moment. RW and ST are obviously far more pressing and if we were going for that sort of player, Maddison at that price tag isn't the first thing that comes to mind.

Said it before though, his numbers were almost KDB level last year, so hopefully he comes and it immediately all makes sense.

Maddison is much, much better than Barnes (whom I rate highly as well), so even though Barnes play in a more important position, I'd take Maddison every st of the week. It would be a massive statement signing as well. 

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

I like how we are seemingly are building from the back, slowly upgrading every position. Maddison completes our midfield, it would be one of the best in the league when you do the obligatory  "exclude Liverpool and Man City".

Yeah I like how Howe is 'defence first' but only in that very literal sense: ie, defence first. Upgrade the defensive personnel so the backline takes care of itself, then set about creating an identity that is fundamentally attacking. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

Yeah I like how Howe is 'defence first' but only in that very literal sense: ie, defence first. Upgrade the defensive personnel so the backline takes care of itself, then set about creating an identity that is fundamentally attacking. 

I'm not sure he is, I think we just sign the best players we can.  He spoke about his frustrations in attack and signing Maddison will help with that but I think he'll still want 2 offensive players after Maddison.

Just now, Ikon said:

Bruno playing one twos with Maddison and him making runs into the box. Plus his long shots with both feet, set pieces and so on. Would be a wow signing.

Aye he's what we're missing like. I really like Willock, he's a clever player and I hope he can grow into whatever role Howe chooses for him (B2B seems to be it) but he's never going to control the attacking side of your game in the same way Maddison can.

Other than Ekitike he's the major link we've had that really excites me.

Reading on their forum about this and I notice one or two are saying that City were starting from a much stronger position than us when they got bought. I have no idea when this bogus idea took traction. City were noted failures if not an outright nobody of a club. They won the lottery, that’s all that happened 

Edited by Hovagod

16 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Maddison is a better player, we arguably need Barnes more, either and I’m buzzing 

I think Maddison would play on the right, but how we've played Miggy pre-season. So when we have the ball, Trippier goes wide and Maddison drops into a more central position.

Just now, Hovagod said:

Reading on their forum about this and I notice one or two are saying that City were starting from a much stronger position than us when they got bought. I have no idea when this bogus idea took traction. City were note failures if not an outright nobody of a club. They won the lottery, that’s all that happened 

Didn’t City get bought before the Abu Dhabi group though, who took them into Europe?