Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

4 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

I think it's a mistake not signing 1-2 or 2-3 to push for CL spots this season personally, you can't guarantee we'll be as good next season nor that clubs like Chelsea & Liverpool will be as inconsistent.

I have no doubt that we will sign 2-3 players this month.

1 minute ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

fingers crossed

I would be very surprised if we didn’t given the position we find ourselves in and a view to maintaining momentum. If we didn’t it wouldn’t be for lack of trying to obtain our targets.out priced, pipped at the post etc.

1 hour ago, Nobody said:

That is way less than what I thought Tbf. 

Most of the money comes from the knockout stage. Real Madrid and Liverpool each got more than 80 millions in rewards for their entire UCL run last season. 

Let’s assume we make it to the group stage next season, and we win only one game, draw two, and lose three. That would be 20 millions only for rewards. 

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

2-3 ready made first team players ? 

I reckon 1 ready made first team member + a prospect at a minimum.

I would love 2 ready made first team players + a prospect.

Ashby/Fresneda/teenage fullback to compete with Trippier

Maddison / creative midfielder / attacker

Tielemans / Number 6 type midfielder

If we do that type of business I would get very excited. I'd be content with 2 of them. 

At the moment. I think we lack the quality to sustain this level even with Isak coming back. Joelinton, Willock, Longstaff, Murphy, Wood... can Almiron keep it up offensively? From an attacking perspective we lean too much on these lot, too many minutes.

The midfield situation is serious. The legs in midfield have to get through a lot.

1 hour ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

I think it's a mistake not signing 1-2 or 2-3 to push for CL spots this season personally, you can't guarantee we'll be as good next season nor that clubs like Chelsea & Liverpool will be as inconsistent.

Absolutely, I'll be quite disappointed if we don't get a couple who'll improve the first team.

I'd love to see us go back in for Diaby, personally. Seems he's a long term target but it's been quiet. Leverkusen look mid table bound so might be willing to let him go now? I guess the theory is that Almiron has likely played himself into being a starter but our depth up front is shocking and Almiron being the only left footed winger isn't ideal IMO. Think it would impact Trippier a lot of he went out, we get great balance on that side from someone with a dangerous left foot cutting inside and Trippier overlapping. We know Howe likes to bed players in slowly and with Miggy in such great form it'd be an ideal time to bring Diaby in if he is a long term target.

Even with a fully fit squad we basically have ASM, Almiron, Isak and Wilson for three spots on the field and then a massive drop off in quality. Joelinton I'm actually comfortable with starting on the left in some games but he's better in CM IMO. We need another attacking player that can actually do something rather than just be hard working warm bodies in Murphy and Wood.

The Arsenal game was the latest in a number of games against the better sides in the league that have followed the same pattern.

We've basically matched or been better than everybody we've played this season for the first hour or so. However, our style of play means our lads wear down and fresh legs are needed. This is especially true against good teams where we don't have as much of the ball.

The Man City home game, the Man U away game, Liverpool away game and Arsenal away game all followed more or less the exact same pattern. Evenly matched game for an hour with the other team finishing strong and looking the far more likely to score.

The Liverpool game they got through.  Man U should have but for an awful miss by Rashford, they had other chances too. We were hanging on against Arsenal too.

All of those games we had Wood and Murphy on for the closing stages and in all of them once those two were on teams basically didn't have to worry about us as an attacking force and really took the game to us.

The only exception was the Man City game that I thought we could have won and the key difference there was ASM was still on the pitch.

Anyway, where was I?

Yeah, buy a winger. We're frightfully light up there and it'll end up costing us.

Diaby would be ideal but if that's not realistic at least get someone who we won't all be collectively heartbroken to see coming on with twenty minutes left.

A starting CM to partner Bruno and Joelinton with Willock and Longstaff as cover.

2 hours ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

100%. Small risk for a massive reward.

I think back to Leicester in 2016 on a different scale. They were extremely well drilled and hard to beat but were able to take advantage of teams losing points around them because they won the tight games instead of coming away with a plucky point. Having our own Mahrez would be huge.

46 minutes ago, Shak said:

Absolutely, I'll be quite disappointed if we don't get a couple who'll improve the first team.

I'd love to see us go back in for Diaby, personally. Seems he's a long term target but it's been quiet. Leverkusen look mid table bound so might be willing to let him go now? I guess the theory is that Almiron has likely played himself into being a starter but our depth up front is shocking and Almiron being the only left footed winger isn't ideal IMO. Think it would impact Trippier a lot of he went out, we get great balance on that side from someone with a dangerous left foot cutting inside and Trippier overlapping. We know Howe likes to bed players in slowly and with Miggy in such great form it'd be an ideal time to bring Diaby in if he is a long term target.

Even with a fully fit squad we basically have ASM, Almiron, Isak and Wilson for three spots on the field and then a massive drop off in quality. Joelinton I'm actually comfortable with starting on the left in some games but he's better in CM IMO. We need another attacking player that can actually do something rather than just be hard working warm bodies in Murphy and Wood.

The Arsenal game was the latest in a number of games against the better sides in the league that have followed the same pattern.

We've basically matched or been better than everybody we've played this season for the first hour or so. However, our style of play means our lads wear down and fresh legs are needed. This is especially true against good teams where we don't have as much of the ball.

The Man City home game, the Man U away game, Liverpool away game and Arsenal away game all followed more or less the exact same pattern. Evenly matched game for an hour with the other team finishing strong and looking the far more likely to score.

The Liverpool game they got through.  Man U should have but for an awful miss by Rashford, they had other chances too. We were hanging on against Arsenal too.

All of those games we had Wood and Murphy on for the closing stages and in all of them once those two were on teams basically didn't have to worry about us as an attacking force and really took the game to us.

The only exception was the Man City game that I thought we could have won and the key difference there was ASM was still on the pitch.

Anyway, where was I?

Yeah, buy a winger. We're frightfully light up there and it'll end up costing us.

Diaby would be ideal but if that's not realistic at least get someone who we won't all be collectively heartbroken to see coming on with twenty minutes left.

A starting CM to partner Bruno and Joelinton with Willock and Longstaff as cover.

With regards to Diaby definitely he’s the type of signing that right now comes in to compete for a starting position. Obviously Almiron is in the form of his life but he’s also 28- 29 next month not exactly a top asset. ASM seems to be pretty injury prone with niggles here and there. Bring in Diaby a top target we’ve had get him in just now competing for a place and hopefully after a month or so he’s dislodged one of the 2 if not he will by the summer and he’s an improvement to the squad and bench options.

2 hours ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

:thup: Need a midfielder, full back and still a player who can play across the front 3. Think we'll only get 1 of those, 2 at an absolute push this window. 

1 hour ago, Gazzaschicken said:

We will get isak back and it will be like a new signing, a breath of fresh air

It’s so refreshing that saying it will be like a new signing, now doesn’t feel like something Ashley and one of his cronies is saying while bending you over a barb wire fence.

I’m expecting if we dip into the foreign markets it will be for a young prospect, any first teamers we sign will already be in the PL imo. Summer will be different.

Edited by Nine

2 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

We could have been torn to pieces by Arsenal in the first 20 minutes before adapting. Wouldn't say that it was evenly matched for the first hour.

Torn to pieces and 20 minutes are both an overstatement IMO. Could easily have gone behind early but Howe changed it quickly and then it settled down and was pretty even after that I thought.

Point is that no team has come out and dominated us, we generally give as good as we get until we have to start making subs.

4 minutes ago, Shak said:

Torn to pieces and 20 minutes are both an overstatement IMO. Could easily have gone behind early but Howe changed it quickly and then it settled down and was pretty even after that I thought.

Point is that no team has come out and dominated us, we generally give as good as we get until we have to start making subs.

I disagree, they were running straight through us until Eddie pulled back which is when it evened up. That reflects very well on Eddie, recognizes his preferred tactic isn't working and fixes it and we get a point.

13 minutes ago, McDog said:

I disagree, they were running straight through us until Eddie pulled back which is when it evened up. That reflects very well on Eddie, recognizes his preferred tactic isn't working and fixes it and we get a point.

That reads like you’re agreeing with him? I thought they looked all over us for about 10 mins. Without creating many clear cut openings. Then we changed shape a bit and dropped off slightly. If anything, we grew into the half and it evened up for large spells. 

It was only the last 20-30 were I felt like we were really up against it. Which was when we replaced two of our best players with a traffic cone and Forest Gump. 

59 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

That reads like you’re agreeing with him? I thought they looked all over us for about 10 mins. Without creating many clear cut openings. Then we changed shape a bit and dropped off slightly. If anything, we grew into the half and it evened up for large spells. 

It was only the last 20-30 were I felt like we were really up against it. Which was when we replaced two of our best players with a traffic cone and Forest Gump. 

I disagree it's an overstatement is what I meant.  We got run over and if you check back to the game thread it says the same. We righted the ship pulling back and when  the dregs came in we were under pressure again. Eddie pulling back was a game saver to me.

13 hours ago, Shak said:

Anyway, where was I?

Thuram seems like a no brainer to me at the prices being talked about (he's out of contract right). Big fucker with pace, skill, and an eye for goal.

That's if they're not willing to spend on a top target at this stage, there are surely options.

Guess maybe he's holding out to go free and get big monies.

10 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

It felt like in the first 15 minutes our high press wasn't working. Their passing and combination play was just too good. Things improved when their initial burst of energy calmed down a bit, and we defended a bit deeper and cut down their space that way. But we were lucky not to concede in that early period.

I thought the two substitutions were okay. Wilson was struggling to make an impact and Almiron looked tired for once. Obviously it would be good to have a better striker than Wood to come on, but that's where we at. As would usually happen in that sort of game away from home, we then had to batten down the hatches and hope for something from a set piece.

1 hour ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Thuram seems like a no brainer to me at the prices being talked about (he's out of contract right). Big fucker with pace, skill, and an eye for goal.

That's if they're not willing to spend on a top target at this stage, there are surely options.

Guess maybe he's holding out to go free and get big monies.

Only wants to go to certain clubs, allegedly:

“BILD learned two clear wishes from his environment: A winter transfer is now only conceivable if it were really one of the four dream clubs where the Frenchman also sees himself in the long term: Inter Milan, Bayern Munich, Manchester United and Paris St. Germain.

On the other hand, the clubs, which are also highly interested, such as Newcastle United and Aston Villa can save their offers.”

https://m.bild.de/sport/fussball/borussia-moenchengladbach/wende-verzichtet-borussia-moenchengladbach-auf-die-thuram-millionen-82399840.bildMobile.html?t_ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bild.de%2Fsport%2Ffussball%2Fborussia-moenchengladbach%2Fwende-verzichtet-borussia-moenchengladbach-auf-die-thuram-millionen-82399840.bild.html

edit- also:

https://www.newcastleworld.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/bundesliga-star-snub-newcastle-united-offer-bayern-munich-manchester-united-interest-3977869

Edited by Manxst