Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

15 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

I’m going Edson Alvarez signed out the blue. Sombreros in the crowd at Fulham home. 

Hope not. Looked average every time I’ve seen him play. Think @Unbelievableagrees ? Think he’ll go to Chelsea if they don’t get the lad from Benfica anyway.

Chelsea are essentially that kid you know from growing up who won the lottery and then spent it all on hookers and drugs, I reckon they’ve got another couple of hedonistic years in them and then there’s going to be a period of penniless rehab to follow 

IF we can get the players we want now for the price we are willing to pay then there is absolutely no reason to wait until the summer. Why wait. It means one less player to sign in the summer and they will be more than ready to hit the ground running for next season, with the added bonus of having an even greater chance of reaching the CL this season already. Strike while the iron is hot. This doesn’t mean that we have to blow our entire summer budget or sign too many players risking to disrupt the good feeling. Get two in, maximum 3 if one is for backup and it will give the squad and club and the entire fan base another boost which will help in keeping the momentum up as well as being better equipped for potential injuries. You could argue that there’s a chance of signing better players if we are in the CL. However we can’t take this into account, never mind if we are gonna be even weaker if we don’t try and improve in this window. Do what we can do NOW within reasonable means and have a new look at it in the summer when we know where we stand. A couple of injuries now and we risk losing momentum and from there it can go badly very quickly with some bad luck. There’s wind now so hopefully we’ll raise our sails and take advantage. 

Also, there’s a chance that Liverpool and say Chelsea to name two, that they get their shit together for next season. The opportunity is there now. Personally I don’t think we need to sign big names, even if I would love say Maddison for example. Sign a few top quality young players and some of them will improve us now already, never mind the depth of the squad. Some might even hit ground running straight away. Also likely that these will get even better after a full preseason and after some time with the group and be on a very high level next season already. I don’t see us signing the likes of Caicedo no matter what. Rightly so imo

Edited by Ikon

Yeah, I think the argument for us getting a top 4 place means less for us long-term than it does for the other clubs that are used to it. If we force one out we’re massively weakening a rival. Therefore we should be doing everything we can to get there this season. Who cares how we get on in Europe next season and whether it’s too soon for our squad. We’ll be crushing a rival by taking their spot which will only make it easier to consolidate a top four place for us in the long-term 

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

IF we can get the players we want now for the price we are willing to pay then there is absolutely no reason to wait until the summer. Why wait. It means one less player to sign in the summer and they will be more than ready to hit the ground running for next season, with the added bonus of having an even greater chance of reaching the CL this season already. Strike while the iron is hot. This doesn’t mean that we have to blow our entire summer budget or sign too many players risking to disrupt the good feeling. Get two in, maximum 3 if one is for backup and it will give the squad and club and the entire fan base another boost which will help in keeping the momentum up as well as being better equipped for potential injuries. You could argue that there’s a chance of signing better players if we are in the CL. However we can’t take this into account, never mind if we are gonna be even weaker if we don’t try and improve in this window. Do what we can do NOW within reasonable means and have a new look at it in the summer when we know where we stand. A couple of injuries now and we risk losing momentum and from there it can go badly very quickly with some bad luck. There’s wind now so hopefully we’ll raise our sails and take advantage. 

Also, there’s a chance that Liverpool and say Chelsea to name two, that they get their shit together for next season. The opportunity is there now. 

Exactly and the owners and Howe will be thinking exactly the same. Howe has mentioned FFP every week when asked since he came and we still have spent decent amounts. It will be no different this time either. 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Yeah, I think the argument for us getting a top 4 place means less for us long-term than it does for the other clubs that are used to it. If we force one out we’re massively weakening a rival. Therefore we should be doing everything we can to get there this season. Who cares how we get on in Europe next season and whether it’s too soon for our squad. We’ll be crushing a rival by taking their spot which will only make it easier to consolidate a top four place for us in the long-term 

The most important thing is that the sponsorship/commercial revenue will be able to be increased quite significantly also and those numbers will not be able to be blocked by the Premier League (unless they want a anti competitive legal case). 

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Got dropped by the Mexicans didn’t he ? Wouldn’t be my choice either.

Yep. Went on strike with Ajax at a whiff of the move to Chelsea so character flaws too.

If Eddie wants PL experience it limits our options and can’t see how anyone would want McTominay over say Kone.  After Bruno’s impact I also think it would be daft to limit our options to domestic targets.

The only domestic midfielders who jump out for me are the 2 lads at Brighton, but they’d cost a fucking fortune.

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

If Eddie wants PL experience it limits our options and can’t see how anyone would want McTominay over say Kone.  After Bruno’s impact I also think it would be daft to limit our options to domestic targets.

The only domestic midfielders who jump out for me are the 2 lads at Brighton, but they’d cost a fucking fortune.

I think the premier league experience line is if we are to sign players this month as he wants them to be ready to go immediately. If we get to the summer it’s much more likely to be a Kone type signing imo.

It’s quite simple, we get top 4, we skip a few years of financial development. Revenues certainly increase significantly but are we ready for that extra workload in terms of club infrastructure?

I’m not so sure. Can just as easily see Dan Ashworth with a message of stick to the plan, regardless of how well it’s going on the pitch.

Are we in danger of falling off a cliff? Absolutely not. Is top 4 guaranteed? Nope, but that was probably never in the plan for this year anyway. I don’t think adding in a couple of players is going to suddenly make us title contenders.

I don’t think that was our strategy in any case, the plan has always been to build the infrastructure for sustained success through youth development and top notch facilities.

We have neither in place yet.

15 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

It’s quite simple, we get top 4, we skip a few years of financial development. Revenues certainly increase significantly but are we ready for that extra workload in terms of club infrastructure?

I’m not so sure. Can just as easily see Dan Ashworth with a message of stick to the plan, regardless of how well it’s going on the pitch.

Are we in danger of falling off a cliff? Absolutely not. Is top 4 guaranteed? Nope, but that was probably never in the plan for this year anyway. I don’t think adding in a couple of players is going to suddenly make us title contenders.

I don’t think that was our strategy in any case, the plan has always been to build the infrastructure for sustained success through youth development and top notch facilities.

pretty much sure we know this, however dreaming is ok too . I’m still hoping top 7 

53 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Hope not. Looked average every time I’ve seen him play. Think @Unbelievableagrees ? Think he’ll go to Chelsea if they don’t get the lad from Benfica anyway.

Aye. Don’t understand how he got the rep he’s got. One of those players made to look better than he is playing for a well coached team imo.

4 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

Yes, most are. There's little/no money on terms of operating profit in PL clubs, the real money is in increasing their value and selling on.

NFL teams never go down in value and some of the profits from selling were crazy so I know what you mean.

It's going to be like the summer.

If there's low-hanging fruit like Pope, we'll snap them up - easy business.

If there's a point where a highly sought after target is available at a price we are willing to pay we will do that too (Botman).

Otherwise... we'll try and play it tight.

Come Jan 21st - we are in the EFL Cup Semi's and still in the top 4. We'll get at least 1 big signing for a top 4 push imo. An Isak type signing.

We'll get a youngster to deputise Trippier.

We'll get at least 1 top class midfielder as well - probably late in the window.

If we're very serious about top 4.. we'll get another midfielder of a different profile and a LB. I doubt we'll get all 4, expect to get at least 2.

Flogging some dead wood would help as well. The longer the likes of Lewis don't play professional football the less likely someone will want to take them from us. Need to start releasing dead wood in the summer imo.

Getting new sponsors is needed too - obviously.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It's going to be like the summer.

If there's low-hanging fruit like Pope, we'll snap them up - easy business.

If there's a point where a highly sought after target is available at a price we are willing to pay we will do that too (Botman).

Otherwise... we'll try and play it tight.

Come Jan 21st - we are in the EFL Cup Semi's and still in the top 4. We'll get at least 1 big signing for a top 4 push imo. An Isak type signing.

We'll get a youngster to deputise Trippier.

We'll get at least 1 top class midfielder as well - probably late in the window.

If we're very serious about top 4.. we'll get another midfielder of a different profile and a LB. I doubt we'll get all 4, expect to get at least 2.

Flogging some dead wood would help as well. The longer the likes of Lewis don't play professional football the less likely someone will want to take them from us. Need to start releasing dead wood in the summer imo.

Getting new sponsors is needed too - obviously.

Great post. Binning off Castore and Fun88 will mark a real clean start.

50 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Aye finishing 4th this season would mean finishing in a EL spot next season isn't a massive problem.

We can already use that CL finish to (a) attract a higher calibre of player and (b) get much better commercial deals and revenues for the season (c) dent a rival in A & B

Other than prestige does anyone know the sort of extra income going to just say the CL group stage is worth? Obviously each higher league position is worth 6/8m a place just wondered how much the CL means revenue for those who get there but not very far. 

1 minute ago, nufcjmc said:

Other than prestige does anyone know the sort of extra income going to just say the CL group stage is worth? Obviously each higher league position is worth 6/8m a place just wondered how much the CL means revenue for those who get there but not very far. 

20 million isn't it and that's just for reaching the group stages before any games being played or further progression.

Edited by et tu brute

3 minutes ago, nufcjmc said:

“The 32 teams who have qualified for the 2022-23 Champions League group stage will all receive a starting fee of €15.64 million, while group stage performance bonuses will also be paid for each match - €2.8 million for a win and €930,000 for a draw.”

source: 

https://en.as.com/soccer/champions-league-prize-money-2022-23-how-much-will-the-ucl-winners-receive-n/?outputType=amp

The indirect income would be higher though. Reaching the UCL consistently means more income from sponsors and match tickets/merchandise. 

1 hour ago, Ikon said:

Also, there’s a chance that Liverpool and say Chelsea to name two, that they get their shit together for next season. The opportunity is there now. Personally I don’t think we need to sign big names, even if I would love say Maddison for example. Sign a few top quality young players and some of them will improve us now already, never mind the depth of the squad. Some might even hit ground running straight away. Also likely that these will get even better after a full preseason and after some time with the group and be on a very high level next season already. I don’t see us signing the likes of Caicedo no matter what. Rightly so imo

I might be way off here with how FFP works and our accounts, but I think we're quite the opposite of a club like Everton. My understanding is they have to wait because they overspent and need to wind the clock down (as well as balance the books) until they can spend again. Whereas our overspending is less than 12 months old and FFP is based on losses over the last 3 years, and our net spend the previous two years was low. At this stage in our rebuild, we aren't going to go through a lean spell like Everton unless we make the same mistakes they did. Following that (admittedly rushed) logic then you'd be completely right that there's not much point in waiting. Buying now does risk upsetting the stability in the group if we sign a twat, but it raises the competition for places and gives us depth to go the distance.

I still reckon Maddison is the one we are after because he ticks so many boxes, and is as close to a sure thing as you'll get. The top sides have generally done well making those kinds of signings down the years - players who have consistently done it in the Premier League and are yet to peak. Mane and Van Dijk were transformative signings for Liverpool. Mahrez and Kante are other examples off the top of my head. Even when you overpay, you usually get a player who does well. I do wonder if they're looking at his current injury though and starting to question his injury record.

I doubt we'll go the window without signing anyone. The one thing that could unravel our season is squad depth which is well below the teams we're fighting against.

2 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

A couple of players might not make us title contenders, but the top 4 place is there for the taking with the weak start made by Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea. It might be very tempting to strike while the iron is hot, next season we might not be in such a good position as we find ourselves in now.

1 hour ago, nufcjmc said:

Champions league qualification is worth about $100 million all told if I remember correctly, more if you go further of course.

Basing this on old price of football episodes that I half remember listening to while cleaning out the litterbox of course, but yeah it's huge for FFP.

I always think of little things like this: remember us being "interested" in Renan Lodi early on in the summer? Only for us to be quoted 30m for him and we decided to just take Targett instead. A month or so later, he turns up at Nottingham Forest on loan (bullet dodged).

The point is, towards the end of the window clubs and players panic, meaning scenarios develop where players become available, that previously weren't.

Let Chelsea play football manager by pissing away squillions on players who don't fit any sort of plan. All they are doing in sending boat loads of cash into the transfer market, which accelerates other clubs etc. 

Towards the end of the window, when a certain amount of "balancing the books" needs done, we can sneak in and get a quality player on loan etc. Look at what Spurs did with Kulsevski and Bentancur last time.

Its nice that we are biding our time and keeping on the fringes of things for a change instead of our usual panic buying or even worse, turning the fax machine off.[emoji38]

Something nice will come up for us late on.

1 hour ago, Solitude20 said:

“The 32 teams who have qualified for the 2022-23 Champions League group stage will all receive a starting fee of €15.64 million, while group stage performance bonuses will also be paid for each match - €2.8 million for a win and €930,000 for a draw.”

source: 

https://en.as.com/soccer/champions-league-prize-money-2022-23-how-much-will-the-ucl-winners-receive-n/?outputType=amp

The indirect income would be higher though. Reaching the UCL consistently means more income from sponsors and match tickets/merchandise. 

That is way less than what I thought Tbf.