Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

Was he seriously one of the best defenders never to play for England?

Definitely. He was captain and basically ever present in a team that won 3 PL titles.

Competition for the England spots must be high at that time. Who was he up against - Adams, Keown?

Definitely. He was captain and basically ever present in a team that won 3 PL titles.

Competition for the

England spots must be high at that time. Who was he up against - Adams, Keown?

Going off Euro 96 - Adams, Southgate, Keown, Howey, S Campbell, J Scales, Pallister, Bould (?), Unsworth, D Watson, M Wright

That’s all I can think of

Aye, remember Adams and Keown (with Bould as backup) being the cornerstone of Arsenal's defence. Then there's Southgate and Campbell. Surprising that he didn't even get one look-in as captain of Man Utd though.

Competition for the England spots must be high at that time. Who was he up against - Adams, Keown?

His centre-back partner Gary Pallister got in before him as he was better.  He was also up against the likes of Des Walker and Mark Wright earlier on.  Tough competition!  He was probably worth a place in the squad and a few caps but would’ve never been a regular i don’t think.  I’m sure even Keith Curle got a couple of caps, he was basically just a thug who could run fast.

His centre-back partner Gary Pallister got in before him as he was better.  He was also up against the likes of Des Walker and Mark Wright earlier on.  Tough competition!  He was probably worth a place in the squad and a few caps but would’ve never been a regular i don’t think.  I’m sure even Keith Curle got a couple of caps, he was basically just a thug who could run fast.

Was one of the best at the time. If we had him instead of Peacock in 94/95/96 we'd probably have 2 recent titles. Must have been some underlying attitude issue to not even get a call up considering some of the dross that was called up. Yes there was plenty of good competition, but mentioned before he was the mainstay of a defence in the most successful team of the time. It would have been like not calling up Ferdinand or Terry through the 00s

Was it not because he was a bit of a no-nonsense defender and was up against players who could play a bit? Even in the 90s there was a sense that international football was different to club football and required a bit more finesse all over the pitch.

Regardless it is obviously weird that Bruce didn't pick up at least a few caps, but I guess that's what will happen if you get a run of a few managers that don't fancy you.

Does anyone know when Leeds become classed as a Premier League team?

There has been speculation about them being taken over by Qatar for ages but wondering when that takeover would be subject to the Premier League and not EFL tests

Zinedine Zidane has now managed Real Madrid for 209 matches and won 11 major titles during that time.

That's an average of a trophy won every 19 matches in charge of Real Madrid.